View Poll Results: Should the Stocks section of the forums be made private (for a small monthly fee)

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want an exclusive private club.

3 23.08%
  • No, keep it public.

10 76.92%
Page 1 of 3 123
    Head Honcho
    01-09-2013, 07:58 PM #1

Question Should the Stocks Section be Private or Public?

Private or public, that is the question.

People have voiced their opinions both publicly and privately on the topic and I'd like gather all of those thoughts and let people voice their opinions into one condensed thread, in an effort to answer the question once and for all.

Nothing is more important to me than the feedback of our users so, I would appreciate anyone with a dog in the fight to chime in and let your voice be heard. Ultimately, I am going to do my best to make everyone happy.

There are obvious benefits to both, on one hand we get an exclusive club where members get some privacy to protect their hard work but, on the other hand, we have -- well -- free.

So, we have some things to think about...

1. Is there any good reason to keep the "STOCKS" forum public?
    2. If we decide to make it private, how do we price it to make everyone happy?
    3. If its priced too low do we run the risk of riffraff lurking?

I am open to any and all creative ideas so, please take this opportunity to make your voice heard!

Thank you.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Mentor
    01-09-2013, 09:17 PM #2
    Charles...just returned to Siriusbuzz about a week or two ago. Looks like you've got a pretty solid bunch of frequent posters!

Several thoughts...has there been any problems with the current posters? Do you have to be a registered member to view the forums? Personally...you can limit the lurkers by closing the threads to registered members only!!! If you take the stock threads private...you might as well take the whole site private! I like the free site...but that's me being a tightass! I read Siriusbuzz, KOAT, and Cos site getting different takes on the days events!

Hope you keep it free to registered members!

JS

JS

Guru
    01-09-2013, 09:33 PM #3
    A first step could be private and free?

Head Honcho
    01-09-2013, 10:05 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by just sirius View Post
    Charles...just returned to Siriusbuzz about a week or two ago. Looks like you've got a pretty solid bunch of frequent posters!
    Glad to have you back!

Several thoughts...has there been any problems with the current posters?
    No.

Do you have to be a registered member to view the forums? Personally...you can limit the lurkers by closing the threads to registered members only!!!
    A lot of the lurkers are registered. It only takes a minute to signup.

If you take the stock threads private...you might as well take the whole site private!
    I think the investing section is unique. No need to keep the general discussion and hardware type forums private. That kind of info is about sharing.

I like the free site...but that's me being a tightass! I read Siriusbuzz, KOAT, and Cos site getting different takes on the days events!
    I appreciate your feedback and readership.

Quote Originally Posted by imromo24 View Post
    A first step could be private and free?
    How does that work? If its free, anyone can get in. If we limit it to registered members, people will just signup and lurk.

Lets keep throwing shit at the wall until something sticks!
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-09-2013, 10:12 PM #5
    I agree with Just Sirius. Why limit/discourage our viewers as well as possible future posters by closing off the stock thread? It has been nice to see the increased traffic on SB. Unfortunately, when roadblocks are placed the tendancy is to find another route. Do we really want to lose viewers?

Head Honcho
    01-10-2013, 12:10 AM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriMonkey View Post
    I agree with Just Sirius. Why limit/discourage our viewers as well as possible future posters by closing off the stock thread?
    The only reason to do it is because people have asked to make it private. They would rather keep their opinions, charts, and advice behind closed doors.

Quote Originally Posted by SiriMonkey View Post
    Unfortunately, when roadblocks are placed the tendancy is to find another route.
    What if we are already losing viewers because the stock forum is public? I think we already lost a few when this first started revving up.

My goal is to keep everyone happy! I dont want to lose even a handful of people but, I would obviously not sacrifice the many for the few.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Enthusiast
    01-10-2013, 02:04 AM #7
    You are right that some are not posting here because it is not private. I understand that concern not to post personal work and info in a public forum. It would be well worth a reasonable fee to have some conversation and strategy in private.

Head Honcho
    01-10-2013, 07:03 AM #8
    The question becomes... what is reasonable? How do we create an exclusive club that everyone can afford?

Losing even a handful of people would really bum me out.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-10-2013, 07:59 AM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    The question becomes... what is reasonable? How do we create an exclusive club that everyone can afford?

Losing even a handful of people would really bum me out.
    Really losing a handful?
    What about losing Hillbilly and other quality posters?
    You can't blame people for choosing not post their charts/strategy in a publicly open forum.
    Simply create a private forum but don't charge for it.
    Make quality posts the 'fee' to get in as decided by the moderators/members of the private forum.
    leave the open forum as is for the luker's.
    Charles do you care more about numbers of visitors or qualities of posts by smart people?
    You could easily get all the quality posters in a private forum and leave BM in the dust if you didn't charge like BM does. For the last 6 months BM been very unpredictable and narcissistic. I for one am looking for a well run technical forum with no BS, No name calling, No BM crap - just charts & strategy. And please suspend people for a day or so when the posts get personal! No reason for personal (negative or positive) in a technical charts & strategy forum.
    Last lets expand from SiriusXM as it'll be a different animal after Malone gets done with the buybacks & RMT.
    What else are people following I know RAF has dropped off moving on to FaceBook. He was a great quality posters.
    I always felt Quality trumps Quantity except in advertising.

01-10-2013, 08:15 AM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    The only reason to do it is because people have asked to make it private. They would rather keep their opinions, charts, and advice behind closed doors.
    Isn't the majority of this site comprised of opinions, charts and advice? Perhaps I'm being naive but other than posting phone numbers, addresses and pictures of the family dog where is the loss of privacy? Do we close the door next on Market Watch, Politics and Reminisces?

Page 1 of 3 123