12-29-2012, 12:27 AM #1

Lifetime subscription for Sirius/switch to XM questions

Hi, first post here and basically registered to get some help/advice on this.

I have had a lifetime subscription to Sirius since 2006. It was in a unit that I had installed in my car and I loved it. I also purchased a lifetime subscription to the best of XM when the NBA went from Sirius to XM after their merger. So in all, I had lifetime to Sirius and Best of XM in my car.

This past September, I bought a new car that had an xm radio installed in it. As the story goes with so many people that I've seen on the internet, I was told by SiriusXM that I couldn't switch my subscription from a Sirius radio to an XM radio. Rather than fight them and ruin the joy of my new car, I just used the 3 month trial that came with the car. Unfortunately, that ended today.

Obviously I have little leverage with this. They already received my money so its not like threatening to cancel is going to hurt or scare them, but I do feel that I am entitled to something since they are the same company and I paid them over $500 dollars for a subscription that I can't use now.

My questions are:

Has anyone successfully fought with SiriusXM to have their subscription changed over from one car radio to another? If so, what are the buzzwords to use or who do I need to demand to speak to?

Also, I have seen on forums about switching subscriptions with other people in similar situations. Is this actually possible and how does one do this?

I'd really appreciate some help. I'd love to just say "forget this company and their bush league tactic when it comes to dishonoring a lifetime membership" but after 6 years, and all the time I spend in the car, it would be like canceling cable and just having basic 2-13 TV.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Head Honcho
    12-29-2012, 01:45 AM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by bob ross View Post
    Has anyone successfully fought with SiriusXM to have their subscription changed over from one car radio to another? If so, what are the buzzwords to use or who do I need to demand to speak to?
    Yes, it can be done but, they do not advertise that it can. Your best bet is going through their Facebook page. There are support techs on there that can make it happen or point you to the right person. Just post a question on their wall and give them a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by bob ross View Post
    Also, I have seen on forums about switching subscriptions with other people in similar situations. Is this actually possible and how does one do this?
    I don't think it is because user information is tied to your account. Frankly, I think this kind of thing might be why Sirius XM is now offering one time Sirius to XM swaps.

Hope this helps! Welcome to the forums

Please come back and let us know how it goes.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

12-29-2012, 03:38 AM #3
    Swapping from one OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) radio to another is possible, yes. Like he said, you need to talk to the right person. Call the cancellation department (1-866-635-2349 - opt. 3) in order to do so. You better conjure up a good reason, as it can be difficult to get done. There's things they check, such as; how many radios you have, how long you have been a customer, & if it has been swapped anywhere else before. You will want to make sure you're polite when they first tell you no, because they will. You will more than likely want to ask to talk to a supervisor to do this as well. Once you transfer over to that new radio built in whatever car, they WILL place a note on the account that once it's completed, it won't be able to be done again.

The key to getting something like that accomplished, is to simply be nice about it. If you start off rude, you better believe it most definitely won't happen. They will refuse to no end, more than likely place a note on your account explaining to anyone else you ask to do it, that you have already been told that you're not allowed to do so. It's not guaranteed, but it is possible!

04-08-2013, 12:43 AM #4
    I sent an email to see if they will change my sirius to xm. I'm curious, do any in dash radios have xm 2.0? I have a kenwood (although i assume i'm going to need to buy a new one if i do this change)

04-27-2013, 09:34 PM #5
    Sirius & XM radios can now be swapped, no problem what so ever. But there's things you need to know.

1. If it's on a radio the originally came with a car, you can only transfer it to a portable radio. (Unless it's your first time EVER swapping that Lifetime & it was purchased before September of 2007).

2. The dreaded $75 swap fee for that Lifetime will need to be paid.

3. If you have free Internet with your Lifetime, if you UPGRADE on either side from 'Select' to 'Premier', you will LOSE it!

All you have to do is call into the number I mentioned above, (866-635-2349 opt for cancellation) & tell a representative what you need done. Don't let an LCR explain anything to you, get to the cancellation department & make sure you have by asking who you're talking to.

04-28-2013, 08:49 PM #6
    I was able to transfer from Sirius with Best of XM that I get in 2009 (Kenwood in dash) to a Sirius XM Premier and Sirius Lynx successfully and they didn't charge the swap (I think they forgot). Since they do not have the ability to port Internet, they put in some sort of demo mode that gives me Android and Internet access free for 3 years.