12-28-2012, 05:41 PM #1

Not sure exactly where to post this, general questions regarding service.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me. Here is my situation:

(I'm Canadian if that makes any difference with my question)

I bought a sirius radio with boombox bundle for my dad for Christmas I am a sirius subscriber but I only have online I never bought a radio for my car.

Since the weather is so bad here we cant install the radio on the car at the moment but since my dad works construction I still wanted him to be able to use the boombox while at work. I plug in the receiver and place in a southern direction right by the window and all I will get is an acquiring signal notification, nothing else I had it plugged in for hours with no change. Also, when I tried to send an activation signal to my radio using my SID/ESN it says it's invalid.

here are my noob questions:

Do I have to install in my dads car first before I can use the boombox/can I just use the boombox while waiting for the weather to get better?

Do I have to buy a brand new subscription so my dad can use this or can he use mine?

Will I get a signal before I send that activation signal or only after?

Will My SID/ESN only be valid when I buy a brand sew subscription?

I am thankful for anyone who can help me out as I leave tomorrow and my old man isin't exactly technically savvy.

Also, I am only here bugging you guys as I can find nothing in my search online fro answers and I sent an email to customer support but that was 2 days ago.

12-28-2012, 11:25 PM #2
    If it's a new radio that came in the bundle, it more than likely already came active. Find your ID/ESN & call in to see if it's active first, because you will need a separate subscription for that radio. If it's the same platform, such as XM & XM, or Sirius & Sirius, add it to your account to get the multi-radio discount, which is %30 off the regular subscription cost. Once you find out if it's active or not, the signal should be sent to it & become active. If the rep ends the call before the radio is actually active, call the 1-855-MY REFRESH number to send yourself a signal.

Hope that answers your questions. If you have anymore, just ask.

Head Honcho
    12-29-2012, 01:35 AM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew MacLennan View Post
    Do I have to install in my dads car first before I can use the boombox/can I just use the boombox while waiting for the weather to get better?
    It doesnt have to be installed anywhere. Once its activated, its activated.

Do I have to buy a brand new subscription so my dad can use this or can he use mine?
    You will need a new subscription for a new radio. Side note: they do offer discounts to users who have multiple subscriptions.

Will I get a signal before I send that activation signal or only after?
    You should get a basic default preview channel before you activate the radio. I think its 184. If you aren't getting anything, make sure you have a clear view of the sky... in other words, step outside.

I hope that helps. Welcome to the forums
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder