12-27-2012, 07:10 PM #1

Antenna placement on a RAV4??

Hi All, I'm new here, so hope I'm not posting something already answered.

I got a new Toyota RAV4, and it has a center antenna in the back. That is where I usually put the SiriusXM antenna, but it says not to mount it close to another antenna.

Any ideas about where I might put the antenna on this vehicle??

Thanks for the help.

larry.k

Head Honcho
    12-28-2012, 12:49 AM #2
    Welcome to the forums Larry

What year Rav4 is it? Does it have the spare tire on the back? How about roof racks? What kind of receiver antenna are you using? A stock aftermarket plug and play?

I've seen people mount antennas on or around back mounted spare tires on Jeeps and such but I think the newest rav4's have a hidden spare.

I'd say your only other option is on the back window sun visor. The question is, how close is too close? Out the back hatch door and up to the sun visor is probably your easier bet.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-04-2013, 09:26 PM #3
    Hi Charles, sorry I'm slow on the reply. The Rav is a 2012, we just got it new. It has an outside spare on the back, and it has a roof rack on top. The antenna is the little magnetic one that comes with the Sirius car kit. it says Model: XVANT1. The spare has a cowl on it, but I haven't had it open, so I don't know if it's metal or not, I expect that it is. I'm wondering if there is an antenna built into the front windshield. It has the black dotted outline around the edge; guess I'll ask the Toyota dealer about that one. This model does not have built in Sirius radio, wish it did now! I could put it up near the front windshield, but then I have to figure out how to string the wire, and hide it under the gasket or something like that, I don't want a leaking windshield. Anyway,

Thanks, larry.k

Head Honcho
    01-05-2013, 02:24 PM #4
    I think running it out the back is your best bet and I wouldn't worry about looking for a metallic surface, you could always use some good double sided 3m tape and stick it wherever you like. They make special 3m tape for automotive applications.

If you back hatch gasket is nice and fat as I suspect it would be, you can always punch a small hole in it to get the wire inside and then add a drop of silicone sealant to plug the hole when your done.

Hopefully I at least gave you something to think about. Make sure you check back in and even post some pictures if you come up with a good solution!
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-06-2013, 01:52 PM #5
    I've been thinking about the back top, but there is an existing Toyota antenna up there, a "stick" antenna about 10 in. tall. The Sirius kit says to stay away from other antenna's on the car. Can I mount it there without interference from the existing antenna?

Also, I'm going to check with Toyota to see if there is an existing XM antenna built into the car. Maybe I can tap into an antenna that Toyota has built into the system?

Thanks, larry.k

Head Honcho
    01-06-2013, 05:23 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by lcklck View Post
    The Sirius kit says to stay away from other antenna's on the car. Can I mount it there without interference from the existing antenna?
    The good news is you can easily test it out without committing to anything. Just temporarily run the wire outside the vehicle and see if it works or figure out just how far you need to be away so you don't interfere with the signal.

Also, I'm going to check with Toyota to see if there is an existing XM antenna built into the car. Maybe I can tap into an antenna that Toyota has built into the system?
    Do you have the Limited version? Is there a sat button on your head unit? If not, you do not have a built in antenna.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-09-2013, 11:18 PM #7
    No Sat button on the radio, so there's no antenna in the car. I'm attaching a photo of the antenna in place where I want to mount it. I'm wondering if you think it's too close to the other antenna shown in the photo. As you say, I can test it easily by simply starting the radio up with the antenna temporarily installed there. Take a look, thanks

S_XMAntenna003.JPG

Head Honcho
    01-10-2013, 12:51 AM #8
    I have no idea what constitutes "too close." If it were my car, I would simply test to be sure. Do your instruction describe exactly what "too close" means?

As far as looks and ease of installation, that is definitely the best spot for it. The only question is... will it work? The way the main antenna angles back has me concerned because it is litterally blocking a clear path to the sky but, if it works, it works!

What is that other antenna for? The AM/FM radio?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-12-2013, 04:44 PM #9
    Yes, the other antenna is for Am/FM. I'm going to set it up there temporarily and see if it works,
    then do a "full" install if things are OK.

BTW, is there an instruction sheet for transfer of our SiriusXM account over to the new radio? Right now
    the account is still "locked" onto the old radio. Thanks, larry.k

Head Honcho
    01-12-2013, 06:05 PM #10
    BTW, is there an instruction sheet for transfer of our SiriusXM account over to the new radio? Right now
    the account is still "locked" onto the old radio. Thanks, larry.k
    You can call customer service OR login to the SiriusXM website and in your account you'll see a drop down menu that says "I want to..." simply select the "swap this subscription to another radio" option.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder