12-06-2012, 11:39 PM #1

install on dashboard temporarily

Hi all

I just got a Starmate 7 and universal boombox combo from The Source. I have read the install guide for my vehicle type, Dodge Ram 1500. It states to not install the antenna on the dashboard of the vehicle. I have the ant just sitting on my dashboard, as it is too cold for me to install the ant on the roof of the truck.

The radio works great and I plan to install the ant properly in the spring. There should be no danger of my leaving the radio ant on the dashboard for now is there? I tried it first with the ant from the boombox, thinking if it works in the house it should work in the truck as well. I then used the ant for the radio itself and it works great, like I mentioned.

Thanks for any tips for a newbie user, though I have an intergrated Sirius in my Kia Soul

Head Honcho
    12-07-2012, 01:55 AM #2
    Welcome to the forums

There's no danger of leaving the antenna on the dashboard. They likely say that because the reception typically stinks when you install it on the dashboard.

Do you have a rear window that opens or slides on the back of your cab? You could always temporarily run the wire along the floor and out the back window onto the roof of your cab. You'd likely get much better reception.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

12-07-2012, 02:19 AM #3
    The reception is surprisingly good actually. I do have a rear window that slides open. I hadn't thought about putting the ant out that way. I am just concerned with how cold it has been here,-25, that the ant won't stay put as the manual suggests installing it at or above 68F/20C

Head Honcho
    12-07-2012, 02:31 PM #4
    Ive heard of a lot of people running the wires up the door jams and through the headliner to the rear break light above your sliding back window. Thats why I suggested just running it out the window for now but, I didn't know you had a permanent stick on antenna. I just assumed you had a simple magnetic one.

Anyway, hopefully some portion of my reply helped you out!

More importantly... -25? Seriously, why would you live there. Sounds like frozen hell.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

12-07-2012, 04:58 PM #5
    Well, Cold Lake isn't all that bad. It's not the end of the world but we live next door to it! LOL.

I'm sure I have a magnetic ant with my kit, it is a small flat round ant. It came with a alcohol cleaning cloth, so maybe it's not magnetic?