09-29-2012, 06:01 PM #1

Dead radio, replace with one that has remote control?

What radio do I get now?
    I am a longtime sirius user and it appears my old stiletto SL100 has died. Only the dog and power on sequence occur when I put the battery in, no buttons seem to work, only way to power it off is to take out the battery. Same thing happens if i "power" it up without a battery. I am assuming it is dead. Sirius "support" is clueless of course.
    I used it at home, office, and car? rarely used it as a portable, undocked.

What radio do I get now? I would like one with a remote or one that has an IR sensor and I can get remote codes for. I use a universal remote which can learn or program in codes.

Do any current radios have a remote? it does not appear so from their website, although when I called them, someone finally said the XM onyx does?

Head Honcho
    09-30-2012, 01:52 AM #2
    Have you tried plugging the sl100 into your PC and running the recovery software?

http://www.siriusretail.com/sl2/deviceRecovery.html
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

10-04-2012, 02:07 PM #3
    Thanks for the tip. The recovery software worked. Could not get the software working on windows 7 machines, but ran fine on an old XP.

However I am having issues with the sound. I was having these problems before the SL100 crashed.
    The sound is "tinny" & ?weak?, way too much hi end, there is some bass, but the high is way out of balance. Thought it might be my set up & speakers at work, but the sound ok if I plug a computer or radio into them. Not the dock or antenna, either since the SL100 sounds bad at home also.

Any other folks had this problem? hardware, software? or has sirius broadcast gone downhill?

Head Honcho
    10-04-2012, 06:11 PM #4
    Glad that worked. Also glad we succeeded where SiriusXM support failed

As far as I know, the SL100 doesn't have any equalizer settings so the output is what it is. The broadcast has not gone downhill BUT the more popular channels do have better quality output. Since the bandwidth is limited but sound quality is important, the company allocates more for the more popular channels.

Your best bet is to input the SL100 into a device that allows you to make changes to the bass and treble.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder