04-17-2012, 12:49 AM #1

Constant reception interruptions

This is not new. I have had interruptions with sirius for years. Now I bought a new Alpine radio with sirius included and am standing in blue sky arizona with my motorhome and this thing interrupts somtimes for 20 seconds or more and comes back. This happens every few minutes! The same happened with my prior receiver. The antenna is on top of the motorhome in clear view of the satellite. All searches on google ask the same questions , have the same problem - but no answers. I will probably quit Sirius if there is no tech with a solution. Their answers are nonsense (antenna defect etc,) I am on my third antenna with the old receiver and this is the new one. I assume that the sirius system in general is flawed - or they would have the answers.
    If anyone has any bright ideas, I would like to know.
    Paul

Head Honcho
    04-18-2012, 12:31 AM #2
    I know it seems crazy because you have replaced hardware but, there is clearly an issue with your setup, because plenty of other people are listening with no problems so... to solve this problem, I think we have to ask ourselves, what is unique about your setup?

Maybe one of your cables runs close to a strong power cable that is creating interference? Maybe there is another satellite or radio broadcasting system in your motorhome that is interfering with the signal?

When you have these 20- second drops, what does the signal strength say? Does your unit have the ability to show you signal strength?

Welcome to the forums. Maybe I will be the one that solves this mysterious problem.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

04-18-2012, 09:30 AM #3
    Do you have another receiver in another vehicle or maybe a portable? Know someone else with Serius that could park next to you? To see if they also have the problem. . . .

Head Honcho
    04-18-2012, 12:59 PM #4
    Great idea. That would be a great first step to track down the problem.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

04-18-2012, 01:19 PM #5
    Or . . .you could pull it out of the garage . . .lol!

05-09-2012, 03:54 PM #6
    I bought a used Toyota Tundra 18 months ago that came with Sirius radio.The guy said he had a lifetime subscription but there was no documentation to support that claim. In any case the system worked great until about 3 months ago. It does the same thing that Paul discusses even when the vehicle is standing still with the engine off (no motor vibrations causing an intermittent connection etc). We also have Sirius radio in our home through Dish Network and it works fine. Question is the signal for the home and automotive Sirius radio the same?

Len H, Sebastopol CA

Head Honcho
    05-09-2012, 04:15 PM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by lenhirschi View Post
    Question is the signal for the home and automotive Sirius radio the same?
    The Dish signal is not the same.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

09-03-2012, 07:13 PM #8
    I get Sirius via my Dish Network satellite TV. Only, really, only Sirius channel that keeps cutting off is Deep Tracks. It gets old sometimes, and I have to change channels to Classic Vinyl. No other Sirius channel has this problem. Any ideas??

09-29-2012, 06:43 AM #9
    I've had a lifetime membership to Sirius for about four years. For three and a half years I had only intermittent service interruptions under bridges etc. For the last several months, I have constant interruptions, maybe half the time the radio is on for as much as ten or fifteen minutes. Does anyone have any ideas? Has something gotten kinked in my radio connection? Is it worth spending money to have a technician look at it or would it cost as much to get a new radio? (and would that void my lifetime warantee? This last I can ask Sirius. In fact, I'll probably be on the phone today if I can get them on a Saturday.

Head Honcho
    09-30-2012, 01:44 AM #10
    What kind of radio do you have?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder