09-06-2012, 10:33 AM #1

XM signal is now going in and out on 2011 Camry

Hopefully I posted under the right forum, please excuse me if this is the wrong topic to post under for this.

I usually get signal for about 10 to 15 minutes and then it goes out and just says "NO SIGNAL". Sometimes (like yesterday) I was on the road for an hour and it never went out. I have no clue what could be wrong. The weather is perfect and for a whole year I haven't had this happen at all. I have had no modifications to my car at all, and have been in no wrecks. The car is flawless on all accounts of the physical nature.

So I call up xm support and go through 2 different people (higher level support as well) and after they did signal resets and then reset my service completely, they say that it is my radio's fault.

I have a 2011 Camry I bought just last year. I don't know what I could check with my actual setup to troubleshoot this. My antenna is obviously built in.

They suggested going to the car dealership to get it fixed, but that will cost money, and I want to avoid that if possible since XM is more of a luxury than an actual need. I am paying just to have it anyway, I don't want to spend extra money on top of the service fee. Does anyone know what the car dealership would actually check to troubleshoot this?

Thanks for any help you can provide to me!

Head Honcho
    09-06-2012, 03:44 PM #2
    How long does it go out for? A second? A minute? The rest of the day?

Its not uncommon to lose signal when there are obstructions overhead like a building, tree, or powerlines.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

09-07-2012, 05:03 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    How long does it go out for? A second? A minute? The rest of the day?

Its not uncommon to lose signal when there are obstructions overhead like a building, tree, or powerlines.
    Oh no, when it goes out, it is done until the next day or later on when I get back in the car and crank up again.

We went from mid state to another state (2 and a half hours) without it coming back on 3 days ago. The next day I got in it, it was back going. On the trip home, never went out. The next day going to work, after about 10 minutes, it went out again. 20 minutes late I arrived at work and it still wasn't working. After I got off work, it was working. It has no real logic to it.

I pass over or under nothing. Just an interstate drive to work well within any signal ranges. (cell phone always has perfect connection as I am in between 2 cities going to work)

So confused, but more confused about how I would actually check it out myself, as I don't have a clue on how these things are setup in a car.

Head Honcho
    09-07-2012, 06:20 PM #4
    Sounds exactly like a loose antenna connection OR a failing antenna. Maybe you hit a bump and it goes out or a temperature change expands/contracts the line causing it to turn off and on.

I would find the brain, check the connection, and then look for any places where the antenna wire could be bent, pinched, or worn out.

I think the connection is behind the driver side pillar on a Camry but, I am not an expert. If you are a capable handman, follow the line, if not, bring it to a car stereo place and have them trace the line and find the problem.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder