Page 1 of 4 123 ...
    07-14-2012, 03:13 PM #1

Sirius Stiletto 2 Bug. Activation and Recording Issue since July 11, 2012

This issue is now resolved

Date: Monday 7/16/2012
    Time: 2:30 PM (Approximate)

Please go to the final page of this thread to see the resolution. The bottom line is, dock your radio, and Sirius will send an new update that fixes all issues with the SL2. I cannot confirm it myself. But people here are posting the results.

Special thanks to SiriusBuzz for hosting the site.

I want to thank @TSSTaylor from twitter (and another forum) for keeping me informed and telling me about the fix.

Ans I want to encoorage you to call Sirius CS and complain about our outage. MelRock10 has been able to get 6 days of credit from this fiasco. Here is his part of his post from this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock10 View Post
    Having the same problems as everyone else, same time frame, and same issues with Customer Service. However, the last two "tech" people I talked to (on July 12th and July 15th) actually credited the past six days for two radios (I have two SL2 radios on my account, both having the same problem) to my account. Everyone who hasn't done this should make sure the get on the phone with Sirius and make sure they get a credit. You are paying for a service that you're not getting! Maybe if they lose enough money on this deal they'll actually do something about it.
    Below is the original post. I want to thank and commend everyone for staying on top of this. I think we rattled the cage a little bit.

A BABABOOEY to ya all!

Pericles

-------------------------------------------------------

Greetings,

Apparently, on Wednesday July 11th, there was a problem that affected Sirius Radio subscribers. The problem was characterized simultaneously as an outage, update bug, software update and satellite malfunction, but very little has been confirmed. But it seems that many radios became unsubscribed. Attempts at restarting the radio by "sending the signal," either by phone, Customer Care or computer proved futile. Customer Care had no knowledge of the problem except to say that a satellite was having a problem. A recording cut in while on hold, explaining that they there was a problem affecting "some" radios and they were working on it.

But I had questions. My question was, if my radio was unsubscribed, would it automatically be re-subscribed or would I have to send it a hot shot? No one in Customer Care knew what I was talking about and tried vainly to sell me second radio. I asked to be put through to tech support and was put on hold with different wait time music for about 30 minutes. It then switched me back to the regular Customer Care line.

Later sometime in the evening of the 11th, some people starting getting their radio signal back and when I returned home from work on July 12, I still had a screen on my SL2 asking me to activate, after looking up the channels, going to to Channel 1 and 184, my line-up came back and I could hear Howard Stern. I went back to recordings to see if they were still there and was given a screen that said I needed to subscribe my radio in order to use the function. I did a reset and erase, put the phone back in the dock, set my regional time DST and the radio again was telling I needed to subscribe to Sirius. I was able to bypass the screen and get my channels back. I set-up a record for Howard to see if it would work -- it seemed to be and I went to bed.

The next morning, Friday, July 13th, my radio was still functioning with a strong signal and everything seemed back to normal. I pulled it from the dock and went to recordings and of course... it still said that my Sirius Stiletto 2 was unsubscribed.

Very little was on the internet, until I found this forum and it appears that this is a problem still affecting SL2 owners and perhaps SL10 and SL100 owners. So this post is here as a rallying point for us to pass information and stay on top of the situation.

My fear is that Sirius is not going to fix the issue and let the SL2 phase out which would be apocalyptic for me at least. I own this radio because I MUST record to enjoy the Howard Stern show. If it doesn't record, then Sirius is worthless to me since Howard doesn't post podcasts. If they don't fix this, I am done with SiriusXM.

Now there is hope. The following was posted on another thread in this forum. (That thread, which I found can be accessed HERE.)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
    I spoke with someone a little higher up on the tech support food chain and was told the following: the reason those with SL2 receivers are able to listen to the channels is because they have been given a "free" subscription. This is a temporary solution and while it doesn't solve the library issues it was felt that being able to listen to the radio was better than nothing. They are aware of the problem and are working to fix it.
    Hopefully, this is what is really happening, but Sirius has not been the most reliable company when it comes to customer support.

So, if you are having the same issues, respond to this post with your story and we can keep each other informed and perhaps act as a group to attention called to this issue.

To summarize:

1. On July 11th, 2012 something happened (Described by a Customer Support Rep as a software update) that caused an outage amongst "some" Sirius Satellite Radio users. It is unknown to me at least if this affected people from the XM side.

2. Late on July 11, people were able to get their signals back.

3. Seemingly, exclusively, owners of Sirius Satellite Stiletto 2 -- SL 2 -- receiver model still had issues that have not been resolved as of July 14, 2012. Our models can receive our broadcasts, but we cannot record and listen to shows as our radios were designed to do. The radio states that it is not subscribed although all of us are longtime subscribers and paid up in full. ( I am paid up until 2014 )

Sirius Stiletto 2 radios are not working. Sirius Stiletto 2 radios will not record. Sirius Stiletto 2 radios will not playback. Sirius Stiletto 2 radios will become unsubscribed.

If you are reading this, and you are having these problems, please post a reply (join if you have to) and we can keep each other informed. We need to get this issue out there.

(BTW, I used a lot of redundancy to attract search engines)

Let's get our Sirius Stiletto 2 SL2 SL 2 issues fixed!

Cheers,
    Pericles

Twitter: @loopmovie
    Last edited by Pericles; 07-16-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Resolved

07-14-2012, 07:55 PM #2

Same issues

I've had the exact same issues. I've had remarkably entertaining (read:horrible) experiences with customer service. Have e-mailed all SiriusXM management, but I think they are too busy trying to avoid having John Malone and Liberty Media fire them all. At this point I have satellite, but no recording and no wi fi access. But, I have made lots of friends in the Phillippines or wherever customer service is located. ; )

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    Greetings,

Apparently, on Wednesday July 11th, there was a problem that affected Sirius Radio subscribers. The problem was characterized simultaneously as an outage, update bug, software update and satellite malfunction, but very little has been confirmed. But it seems that many radios became unsubscribed. Attempts at restarting the radio by "sending the signal," either by phone, Customer Care or computer proved futile. Customer Care had no knowledge of the problem except to say that a satellite was having a problem. A recording cut in while on hold, explaining that they there was a problem affecting "some" radios and they were working on it.

But I had questions. My question was, if my radio was unsubscribed, would it automatically be re-subscribed or would I have to send it a hot shot? No one in Customer Care knew what I was talking about and tried vainly to sell me second radio. I asked to be put through to tech support and was put on hold with different wait time music for about 30 minutes. It then switched me back to the regular Customer Care line.

Later sometime in the evening of the 11th, some people starting getting their radio signal back and when I returned home from work on July 12, I still had a screen on my SL2 asking me to activate, after looking up the channels, going to to Channel 1 and 184, my line-up came back and I could hear Howard Stern. I went back to recordings to see if they were still there and was given a screen that said I needed to subscribe my radio in order to use the function. I did a reset and erase, put the phone back in the dock, set my regional time DST and the radio again was telling I needed to subscribe to Sirius. I was able to bypass the screen and get my channels back. I set-up a record for Howard to see if it would work -- it seemed to be and I went to bed.

The next morning, Friday, July 13th, my radio was still functioning with a strong signal and everything seemed back to normal. I pulled it from the dock and went to recordings and of course... it still said that my Sirius Stiletto 2 was unsubscribed.

Very little was on the internet, until I found this forum and it appears that this is a problem still affecting SL2 owners and perhaps SL10 and SL100 owners. So this post is here as a rallying point for us to pass information and stay on top of the situation.

My fear is that Sirius is not going to fix the issue and let the SL2 phase out which would be apocalyptic for me at least. I own this radio because I MUST record to enjoy the Howard Stern show. If it doesn't record, then Sirius is worthless to me since Howard doesn't post podcasts. If they don't fix this, I am done with SiriusXM.

Now there is hope. The following was posted on another thread in this forum. (That thread, which I found can be accessed HERE.)

Hopefully, this is what is really happening, but Sirius has not been the most reliable company when it comes to customer support.

So, if you are having the same issues, respond to this post with your story and we can keep each other informed and perhaps act as a group to attention called to this issue.

To summarize:

1. On July 11th, 2012 something happened (Described by a Customer Support Rep as a software update) that caused an outage amongst "some" Sirius Satellite Radio users. It is unknown to me at least if this affected people from the XM side.

2. Late on July 11, people were able to get their signals back.

3. Seemingly, exclusively, owners of Sirius Satellite Stiletto 2 -- SL 2 -- receiver model still had issues that have not been resolved as of July 14, 2012. Our models can receive our broadcasts, but we cannot record and listen to shows as our radios were designed to do. The radio states that it is not subscribed although all of us are longtime subscribers and paid up in full. ( I am paid up until 2014 )

Sirius Stiletto 2 radios are not working. Sirius Stiletto 2 radios will not record. Sirius Stiletto 2 radios will not playback. Sirius Stiletto 2 radios will become unsubscribed.

If you are reading this, and you are having these problems, please post a reply (join if you have to) and we can keep each other informed. We need to get this issue out there.

(BTW, I used a lot of redundancy to attract search engines)

Let's get our Sirius Stiletto 2 SL2 SL 2 issues fixed!

Cheers,
    Pericles

Twitter: @loopmovie

07-14-2012, 09:25 PM #3
    Here's the timeline on the outage affecting my Stiletto 2:

0650EST on 11 July 2012 completely lost signal - screen states all channels unsubscribed.

Took battery out to reboot system - new screen comes up which states Activate Now or Proceed to channels without activating.

If you choose to go to Proceed to channels without activating you get ALL the Sirius channels, no problem. HOWEVER, I also have the best of XM package and I get NONE of the XM channels. Someone earlier stated that Sirius is giving us these Sirius channels free? so we can indeed listen to something while they are addressing the problem? Who knows how long that will last.

NOTE: I have a lifetime SIRIUS and best of XM package - so getting the channels free or a credit doesn't really affect me.

If you choose the Activate Now option it goes through a few screens and tunes to channel 184 and they want you to call customer service and provide your credit card number (as if you're activating for the first time).

I called customer care and all they did was send a refresh signal which obviously didn't work. I also sent a refresh signal via their web site numerous times over the past few days and that also didn't work.

Beginning on Thursday (12 July) if you called customer service there was a message stating that Sirius was aware there is a problem affecting some of the radios and is diligently working on the problem. This message stayed on the phone line until late Friday evening when it dropped off.

I called them assuming since the message dropped off they must have fixed the problem but that was not the case. Assinine on their part to drop off this message. Now they are just going to be bombarded by phone calls.

Talked to Listener Care Product Support (after getting their number from their online chat which was useless - the online chat told me the problem was fixed the same day - obviously not the case because the problem still persists and Sirius had a message on its phone line on Thursday stating there was a problem and it was being addressed.)

Listener Care Support 1-866-463-5326, at 2030EST on 14 July, stated YES INDEED they were STILL having problems with STILETTO 2's. They are aware of the problem and took my information so they can send my info up the chain so they know my SPECIFIC radio is still being affected. I assume others have done this as well so Sirius knows which specific radios have been affected.

She could give me no specifics on when it would be fixed but they're aware Stiletto's are still experiencing problems. I explained to her what screens I had (i.e. Activate Now or Proceed to channels without activating) and she VERIFIED that I'm not the only one that has these screens. FINALLY, I had someone who acknowledged there was indeed a problem and that others had the same screens I had.

Sorry, I can't speak to the recording functions on my Stiletto 2 because I never use them.

Bottom Line as of: 2030EST on 14 July Stilettos are still having problems and they are working on them and they have no specific date/time when they will fix them.

07-15-2012, 11:27 AM #4
    i am having same issues please post when anyone resolves this

07-15-2012, 12:46 PM #5
    Hello Everyone,

I put in a trouble ticket with Sirius Tech support on 07/12/2012 at 09:39 AM which explained my (our) issue. They responded this morning with the following:
    ------------------Begin Email---------------------------------------

Subject: Why has my Radio become unsubscribed? Radio: Sirius Stiletto 2 Portable I am ful...

Response To Your Inquiry (Brian Rempillo)

07/15/2012 08:53 AM

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting SiriusXM regarding your radio's reception issue.

We apologize for the inconvenience. At this point, your radio should be functional and we are working on correcting this so it does not happen again. In the meantime, please try to refresh your signal. Just follow these simple steps:

- You'll need to enter your Radio ID/ESN, so have it handy.
    - If you're near your radio now, go to http://www.siriusxm.com/refresh and follow the easy instructions.
    - If you're not near your radio, call our automated activation hotline when you're ready at 855-MY REFRESH (697-3373).

This is important: Your radioneeds to be powered on and tuned to Channel 184 for Sirius radios or Channel 1 for XM and SiriusXM radios. Make sure your antenna has a clear view of the sky before sending a refresh signal.

If you continue to experience a problem with your radio, please call Listener Care at 866-635-2349 so that one of our representatives can assist you.

We appreciate your patience in dealing with this matter.

We hope you continue to enjoy SiriusXM's commercial-free music and entertainment programming. We are committed to providing you with the best in listener care. If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this email. You can always manage your account online 24/7 by clicking
    https://care.siriusxm.com/login_view.action

Thank you,

Brian
    SiriusXM Listener Care
    1-866-635-2349

Customer Inquiry (Pericles XXXXXXX)

07/12/2012 09:39 AM

Why has my Radio become unsubscribed?

Radio: Sirius Stiletto 2 Portable

I am fully paid up (Until 2014) and I put my radio in it's dock for the night and to record Howard and it became unsubscribed. I called Customer Care and they assured me that I was paid up, but could not resubscribe me. There was also a recording saying that there was a problem with some radios and they were working on it. Issue occured: July 11, 2012 The Customer Care also explained that they just did a big software update and that there was a problem with one of their six satellites. I am getting a FULL SIGNAL. The radio worked perfectly until docked.
    -----------------END EMAIL---------------------------------

I have done the above and after sending the signal, I got this screen message:

-------------Start------------------------------
    Activation Request Sent

We have sent an activation signal to your radio. It may take up to fifteen minutes before the activation signal is processed and sent to your radio.

Do not adjust your radio during this process.
    ------------------------End-------------------------------------

After 30 minutes I checked the radio and there has been no change. The Support Fix DID NOT WORK.

On Twitter a user named TSS Taylor told me that others are having the SL2 problem but not all, however, I think there is a information disconnect happening here because no one has reported being able to access recrodings (at least that I could find) only that they have recording capability. As stated by someone else -- it appears to be recording -- but then I cannot access my library or my Wi-Fi as it takes me back to the UNSUBSCRIBED screens. TSS Taylor pointed me to a long thread on another forum that was similar to the original one I found here. A few people are posting that they are back to normal, but their process was:

1. Got Activation Screen.
    2. Continued Without Activation.
    3. Found my channels.
    4. Was able to initiate a recording.

Well, I can do that. But I cannot access my Library (or WiFi) -- so they might be in for some surprises.

I registered there and asked if anyone could access recordings and I am waiting to hear back.

I have a feeling when Howard Stern returns with new shows, this will blow up.

I hope I am wrong. I hope that I am doing something wrong and at some point Sirius will send a real "magic bullet" down the line and fix everything.

Cheers,
    Pericles

07-15-2012, 01:17 PM #6
    I just got a message from the SL2 owner who thought he was up and running on the other forum and he has confirmed that HE IS NOT able to access recordings and WiFi.

The buzz is starting to pick up some steam now. I think it will all start hitting the fan. There is a tiny amount of talk that "... not as many people use SL2s now as a few years ago." -- which might mean we are going to get screwed...

P

07-15-2012, 04:41 PM #7
    Same thing happened with my sl2. Glad I found this forum to let me know I could proceed without activation to just listen.
    I've called support a few times and got sent to advanced support once. Totally unhelpful. They keep trying to send an activation
    signal.
    I really need my record option because Stern is live tomorrow and that's why I bought sirius in the first place.
    Without the record option I'm canceling sirius. I feel they're trying to get rid of it.
    My current radio is on it's last legs and I don't see a equivalent replacement.

07-15-2012, 04:55 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by aintsobad View Post
    Same thing happened with my sl2. Glad I found this forum to let me know I could proceed without activation to just listen.
    I've called support a few times and got sent to advanced support once. Totally unhelpful. They keep trying to send an activation
    signal.
    I really need my record option because Stern is live tomorrow and that's why I bought sirius in the first place.
    Without the record option I'm canceling sirius. I feel they're trying to get rid of it.
    My current radio is on it's last legs and I don't see a equivalent replacement.
    Hang in there man, what we need is numbers. I am not sure how many SL2s are out there, but I am hoping they will fix this. Tomorrow evening is going to be the test, because people will be coming home to access their recordings and they will be hosed.

The radios seem to be recording, we just cannot access the library. I was tols on July 11th that they just did a software upgrade at SiriusXM and that there were problems, I think they fixed some of them, but this one isn't quite settled. I don't think it would be a a huge expensive fix, I think it's a programming issue from their end, so I think we should just wait it out. The place seems like it is in a perpetual state of Chaos, so this may take a while. But the problem is out there, and when everyone who records find out that they now cannot, is when we will find out how hard it is going to be to get SXM's attention.

But I feel the same way. I NEED the record function. Otherwise I am done and I need to recover the money from the this subscription.

The Sirius Stiletto 2 Playback problem will grow as other users realize it. It's even complicated to explain.

07-15-2012, 06:25 PM #9
    I have A stilleto 2 and only use it to record the Howard Stern Show. I have not used it the last two weeks since the show was on vacation. I have been listening to past show recordings. I put the stilleto in my car dock today to listen to music..all of the sudden it said I was getting a subscription update...since then it deleted my past records and said I need to activate

I have talked to 3 people today..only 1 was aware of the problem..like previous posts...I was finally able to bypass the activation screen and got stations...so I experimented to see if I could record...everything seemed liked it work until I went to library..heard on Sirius and again the damn activation screen

This is my 3rd stilleto..1st one went after I received an update..it was under warranty and they sent me a refurbished one...2nd one the battery stopped working after another signal I was getting an update...I bought my 3rd one from a friend and now having this problem..I was stupid and paid for a lifetime subscription Jan of 2011...I only have sirius for Howard Stern. This service blows.

Please let me know what I can do to help us get wait we paid for...email is fscrcs@aol.com...twitter@BearShrader

07-15-2012, 06:45 PM #10
    Same issue with my Stiletto.
    We have two subscriptions, one in my wife's car and the second is the Stiletto. I love the portability and have one car dock and two home docks so I can use it in various locations. However, if they can't fix this, I will cancel my subscription and upgrade my wife's subscription so I can use the free iPhone App.

Support for customers and their own equipment is horrible. I won't buy any more of their junk.

I will watch this board to see how this plays out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ...