12-22-2016, 12:05 AM #1

How to get the smell of cigarette smoke out of my car?

My boyfriend smokes a lot and I hate the smell. I never let him smoke in my car or my house but one night it was super cold so I let him smoke in my car with the windows down I figured one time wouldn't hurt. Now it's been two days and it still smells awful. I'm sure it isn't that bad but to someone who doesn't smoke it's pretty intense and I hate getting in my car and smelling it. I left the windows down I've sprayed it with air fresheners and I thought it was fine that morning but when I got off work and came back I immediately smelled it. I'm used to smelling a little smoke because he smells like it but this seems different and I can't stand it. I'm never letting him smoke in my car again so

I'm wondering will the smell go away with time if I don't let him do it again? Or will I just get used to it and it will still smell bad to other people? Any easy ways to get rid of the smell?

12-23-2016, 05:53 AM #2
    isn't there anybody getting me some help?

Legend
    01-06-2018, 07:52 PM #3
    It has been more than a year since SmileyHappy asked her question. Perhaps an answer is no longer needed. But if the car does still smell of cigarette smoke after all this time, I'd say the boyfriend needs to switch to a different brand!

The odor in cigarette smoke is caused by resins and tars. Vinegar will neutralize them. Clean the interior of the car with a mix of 50% water and 50% vinegar. Leave the windows open for 24 hours. If the seats are fabric-covered, do not use vinegar on them. Sprinkle them with scented baking soda, which will absorb the odor. Wait 24 hours and then vacuum it up. The smell should be gone.