07-28-2008, 09:49 PM #1

Old or New Receivers

I have not heard anything yet so I guess I will put it out here in case someone has. Will my 4 current Sirius head units be able to get the XM stuff or are they putting out all new heads for the combined company?

Enthusiast
    07-28-2008, 10:21 PM #2

New Heads

They say you can use your existing equipment. They say that the new a la carte options (if you want to cherry pick your stations) will require new sets, but if you want both services, you can use your existing equipment. That's what I got. I could be wrong, but that's what I recall reading. I'm more into the investment side.

Mentor
    07-28-2008, 10:51 PM #3
    Wait a minute. Flip that, reverse it.

If you want ala carte, you can use the same reciever (as long as it is single system ala carte only). If you want interop, you need to buy a new reciever.

That comes from one of the merger filings Sirius submitted, but I dont have the willpower to look it up right now.

07-28-2008, 11:00 PM #4
    Well if it is true that I would need to get a new head unit to get baseball and Sirius I really hope they plan on having some type of buy back program. I currently have 3 units on my account and I want to be able to listen to baseball on all 3 of them. All 3 units are relatively new and I would hate to just throw them away cause that would stink.
    Last edited by Lt6201; 07-28-2008 at 11:02 PM.

Mentor
    07-28-2008, 11:44 PM #5
    It is possible that baseball will be a part of the Best of Sirius + Select XM plan, but you will have to wait about 3 months to figure that out.

I doubt they will have a buy back program any time soon. They are having enough trouble with debt right now. You do not have to throw them away, as they will still work to pick up the Sirius streams, but if you want both, you will have to wait for an interopperable radio is developed, designed, and manufactured first. The have promised "within 9 months" but again, that will require you to purchase a new unit.