Page 1 of 2 12
    Legend
    04-23-2012, 12:21 AM #1

Mr. Romney's Secrets

I refuse to believe he will get away with this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...y.html?hpid=z2

Mitt Romney’s secrets

By Editorial Board, Published: April 22

MITT ROMNEY’S contemptuous attitude toward the importance of public disclosure is increasingly troubling. Whether it involves the details of his personal finances or the identity of his big fundraisers, the presumptive Republican is setting a new, low bar for transparency — one that does not augur well for how the Romney White House would conduct itself if he were elected.

First is the matter of tax returns. Mr. Romney’s campaign, belatedly and under pressure, released a single year’s worth of tax information in January along with a summary for the 2011 return. Now, with a Friday afternoon release conveniently timed for minimum news coverage a week ago, it announced that the candidate had filed for an extension. “Sometime in the next six months, and prior to the election, Gov. Romney will file and release the 2011 return when there is sufficient information to provide an accurate return,” spokeswoman Andrea Saul said in a statement.

The campaign insisted that Mr. Romney was delaying because some of the companies in which he had invested had yet to report their earnings. This explanation would be a lot more palatable if Mr. Romney had demonstrated any inclination to live up to the standards of most previous presidential candidates — including, most notably, his own father, George Romney, who released a dozen years of returns when he ran for president in 1968.

Mitt Romney turned over more than two decades of returns when he was vetted as a possible vice presidential running mate for 2008 Republican presidential nominee John McCain. A few presidential candidates, including Mr. McCain, have been this stingy with their tax records, but the information is particularly relevant in Mr. Romney’s case because of the size of his fortune and the low share of income he paid in taxes for the year that was released.

Then there is the mystery of Mr. Romney’s bundlers. Candidates such as Mr. McCain, George W. Bush and Barack Obama, among others, voluntarily did the right thing and revealed the identity of these major fundraisers. Mr. Romney, despite the undeniable importance of these individuals, has declined to follow that practice.

Bundlers play a crucial role for political candidates, collecting donations that can amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars to fuel campaigns. The candidates know full well to whom they are indebted. Perhaps Mr. Romney can explain why the public isn’t entitled to the same information.

Click to continue reading....

Legend
    04-23-2012, 01:25 PM #2
    Any interest in discussing the ethics of Romney as regards to this article?

Guru
    04-23-2012, 03:09 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Any interest in discussing the ethics of Romney as regards to this article?
    No, not really. I'd rather point out how extreme the left wing can be.

Legend
    04-23-2012, 03:45 PM #4
    So disappointing and surprising that a right wing Republican doesnt want to examine facts surrounding the ethics of the Presidential candidate they will vote for. lol

Guru
    04-23-2012, 03:49 PM #5
    So disappointing and surprising that a right wing Republican doesnt want to examine facts surrounding the ethics of the Presidential candidate they will vote for. lol
    You don't know who I will vote for.

Legend
    04-23-2012, 03:55 PM #6
    I think WE ALL have an idea who he will support. Lol.

Guru
    04-23-2012, 04:00 PM #7
    I think WE ALL have an idea who he will support. Lol.
    We all know who you will vote for... Hell, you even blindly "defend" his "home state".

My vote is anyone but Obama and his state-directed captalism mentality.

Legend
    04-23-2012, 05:47 PM #8
    Yes I support President Obama. I dont hide it. He is a moderate to left Democrat (much to the chagrin of many progressives) not a Marxist as you have implied in what I think are rather ugly
    and distorted posts.

Weird comments about "blindly supporting his home state". No, all i did was demonstrate
    that Wisconsin Republican party taunts have come back to bite them. Simple.

You hide your ideology and who you support often on these threads. You dont answer
    to questions about candidates you like (other than mentioning Mr. Paul).
    We understand you will vote for Romney and we ALWAYS understood that. Simple.

Be proud of your candidate.

Legend
    04-23-2012, 06:08 PM #9
    So in other words you will vote for Mr. Romney despite what i posted here about his lack of transparency? Illuminating

Guru
    04-23-2012, 07:52 PM #10
    Yes I support President Obama. I dont hide it. He is a moderate to left Democrat (much to the chagrin of many progressives) not a Marxist as you have implied in what I think are rather ugly
    and distorted posts.

Weird comments about "blindly supporting his home state". No, all i did was demonstrate
    that Wisconsin Republican party taunts have come back to bite them. Simple.

You hide your ideology and who you support often on these threads. You dont answer
    to questions about candidates you like (other than mentioning Mr. Paul).
    We understand you will vote for Romney and we ALWAYS understood that. Simple.

Be proud of your candidate.
    The ugliness isn't in what I post, it is in what Obama does.

Page 1 of 2 12