Legend
    03-16-2012, 01:24 AM #1

Natural Born Drillers

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/16/op...illers.html?hp

Meanwhile, what about jobs? I have to admit that I started laughing when I saw The Wall Street Journal offering North Dakota as a role model. Yes, the oil boom there has pushed unemployment down to 3.2 percent, but that’s only possible because the whole state has fewer residents than metropolitan Albany — so few residents that adding a few thousand jobs in the state’s extractive sector is a really big deal. The comparable-sized fracking boom in Pennsylvania has had hardly any effect on the state’s overall employment picture, because, in the end, not that many jobs are involved.

And this tells us that giving the oil companies carte blanche isn’t a serious jobs program. Put it this way: Employment in oil and gas extraction has risen more than 50 percent since the middle of the last decade, but that amounts to only 70,000 jobs, around one-twentieth of 1 percent of total U.S. employment. So the idea that drill, baby, drill can cure our jobs deficit is basically a joke.

Why, then, are Republicans pretending otherwise? Part of the answer is that the party is rewarding its benefactors: the oil and gas industry doesn’t create many jobs, but it does spend a lot of money on lobbying and campaign contributions. The rest of the answer is simply the fact that conservatives have no other job-creation ideas to offer.

And intellectual bankruptcy, I’m sorry to say, is a problem that no amount of drilling and fracking can solve.

Guru
    03-16-2012, 09:19 AM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/16/op...illers.html?hp

Meanwhile, what about jobs? I have to admit that I started laughing when I saw The Wall Street Journal offering North Dakota as a role model. Yes, the oil boom there has pushed unemployment down to 3.2 percent, but that’s only possible because the whole state has fewer residents than metropolitan Albany — so few residents that adding a few thousand jobs in the state’s extractive sector is a really big deal. The comparable-sized fracking boom in Pennsylvania has had hardly any effect on the state’s overall employment picture, because, in the end, not that many jobs are involved.

And this tells us that giving the oil companies carte blanche isn’t a serious jobs program. Put it this way: Employment in oil and gas extraction has risen more than 50 percent since the middle of the last decade, but that amounts to only 70,000 jobs, around one-twentieth of 1 percent of total U.S. employment. So the idea that drill, baby, drill can cure our jobs deficit is basically a joke.

Why, then, are Republicans pretending otherwise? Part of the answer is that the party is rewarding its benefactors: the oil and gas industry doesn’t create many jobs, but it does spend a lot of money on lobbying and campaign contributions. The rest of the answer is simply the fact that conservatives have no other job-creation ideas to offer.

And intellectual bankruptcy, I’m sorry to say, is a problem that no amount of drilling and fracking can solve.
    It is a shame politics gets in the way of opportunity. The demogoguery of the left is also shameful: BIL OIL & GAS = REPUBLICANS.

This is how a free market works my friend. Companies sell products that society WANTS and NEEDS.

It is not a job creation idea from the republicans, it is an opportunity. Period. The left will make it political due to their rigid ideology. That's the genuine shame of it all. And republicans are too stupid to tell it like it is.

Legend
    03-16-2012, 10:11 AM #3
    Come on be honest. You're either unemployed, independently wealthy, or simply a slacker on the job? Some ocassional honesty might release some of that anger you demonstrate daily.

I notice he obviously cant respond to the facts in the article about the oil industry. Shame.

Last edited by Havakasha; 03-16-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Legend
    03-16-2012, 11:05 AM #4
    This is one deserves to be read by those who have NO idea about the actual employment picuture in the oil industry.

Guru
    03-16-2012, 11:27 AM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Come on be honest. You're either unemployed, independently wealthy, or simply a slacker on the job? Some ocassional honesty might release some of that anger you demonstrate daily.

I notice he obviously cant respond to the facts in the article about the oil industry. Shame.

Hahahahaha............ didn't like that freeloader comment last night....... What's the highest form of flattery???

I'll respond to your so called facts when you respond to the fact that OIL & GAS has created great opportunities for AMERICANS. You can't. It's not a case of "won't". Ideologue.

Legend
    03-16-2012, 11:57 AM #6
    One should pay attention that he clearly cant respond to the employment figures that Mr.
    krugman wrote in his article. I have no problem going first.

You sound like a child who says...
    Nah, nah, I wont post this until you post that..... Juvenile

And this from a guy who has yet to acknowledge here that Mr. Schiff has made MANY wildly wrong economic predictions. I should be the one saying i wont answer any of your questions until you acknowledge this basic FACT.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 03-16-2012 at 12:15 PM.

Legend
    03-16-2012, 11:59 AM #7
    I am very secure in myself. I come from a tradition of hard work, and i work hard at my own craft. I also happen to have a passionate political point of view and posting here gets my juices going. Unfortunately, you dont understand the value of the freelance world. Your loss.
    You clearly have lots of time on your "job" to post here. VERY interesting. Get back to "work". lol

Oil and gas have created great opportunities for Americans. I dont have a problem saying that. Why did you think I would? You clearly dont understand the extent of YOUR extremism.

You have to demonstrate some balance and acknowledge there have been some detrimental effects to our dependence on oil, coal, gas.etc. If you cant then clearly you are in denial about all the facts of some of the bad choices we have made in our energy decision making.
    More importantly if you werent such an ideologue you would be able to appreciate the importance of growing the alternative energy industry for the future health of our manufacturing base. Im certainly not holding my breath based on your previous biased comments.

Its also clear that the alternative energy field has great future potential to created enormous opportunities for Americans.
    Why you seem to hate those opportunities other than because of a clear bias is beyond me.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 03-16-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Legend
    03-16-2012, 12:19 PM #8
    Your clear distortion of President Obama's political point of view has made this conversation
    an unfruitful one. Your willingness to go down the path of calling him a Marxist makes you
    and extremist and a liar. Your problem.

I really do wish you a fruitful and happy life. Open your eyes and ears a little and dont "hate" liberals. Hate eats at your soul. Good day buddy. Its has certainly been interesting.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 03-16-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Guru
    03-16-2012, 01:49 PM #9
    Wow, all that and not one mention of the fact that one can get a high paying job in the Oil and Gas industry. That of course would be against your extreme left wing ideology. You rather have the sheeple believe that there are plenty of jobs in solar even after Solyndra laid off a 1000 workers. Don't worry though, they can find a job in OIL and GAS.