12-22-2009, 06:53 PM #1

Sportster 4 vs Sportster 5 signal acquirability speed

Hi, for those who owned these 2 receivers, was there a difference in the time the satellite signal was acquired? When I start my vehicule, the 4 (now dead) would acquire signal almost immediately, whereas the 5 take 15-20 seconds to do so.

Thanks!

Head Honcho
    12-22-2009, 07:48 PM #2
    Are you using a different antenna? Maybe the antenna is weaker? I havent used the sportster 5 yet (my sportster 3 is still alive and kicking) so, I can't speak about the signal time but the antenna seems like the most obvious culprit.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

12-22-2009, 08:09 PM #3
    No, I have the same antenna. I only swapped the cradles and the radios. I also did a test with the antenna included with the ''5'' with the same result.

05-28-2012, 10:30 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by dracip64 View Post
    Hi, for those who owned these 2 receivers, was there a difference in the time the satellite signal was acquired?
    Looks like I'm resurrecting a 2-1/2 year old thread here! Anyways we own BOTH the sportster 4 & 5 and YES they are identical as far as signal timing. Not exactly pleased with it but we've learned to live with it. One of them is on the portable boom box and the other on our Home entertainment system. Very pleased with both except the occasional "poor reception" from the boom box antenna. Even on clear days we sometimes lose signal from time to time

06-16-2012, 11:06 AM #5
    I have 2 sportser 5's one starts right away and the other takes 15 - 20 seconds. doesn't matter which vehicle they are in so the issue is the radio, not the antenna. Whether it's true or not the Sirius folks told me that they were required to change the software in the later 5's and that's what makes them take a while to play.

Quote Originally Posted by dracip64 View Post
    Hi, for those who owned these 2 receivers, was there a difference in the time the satellite signal was acquired? When I start my vehicule, the 4 (now dead) would acquire signal almost immediately, whereas the 5 take 15-20 seconds to do so.

Thanks!