Joined: Feb 2010 Location: Wayne County, Michigan Posts: 80
    02-02-2012, 10:05 AM #1

Siri Stock Thread Feb 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Gary View Post
    Didn't see this posted anywhere. Mel just renewed the leases:

SiriusXM tunes in 2 renewals

Posted: 11:31 PM, January 31, 2012

Talkative SiriusXM radio has zipped lips when it comes to its business plans, but we discovered the Mel Karmazin-led company has renewed leases at two city hot spots.

The deals encompass about 130,000 square feet at 1221 Ave. of the Americas and 85,923 square feet at 5 Penn Plaza.

At 1221, the station takes up floors 19, 36 and 37 while the Penn deal encompasses floors 11 and 22. Both buildings carry rooftop antennas to bounce the programs into space.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...#ixzz1lEV4FJvZ
    Chicago Gary, it is good to see you back posting again. I missed that story but I remember when Mel was first hired commenting about how lavish that space is and that they would look for cheaper space in the future. I guess the cost of relocating the offices outweighed the benefits of lower rent somewhere else.

p.s. i found that quote proving once again that i am right more than 99% of the time:

If Karmazin had his way, he would have already moved out of Sirius’s fancy digs in Midtown Manhattan – two floors of fully outfitted glass and steel radio studios for its roster of stars like Martha Stewart and Eminem in the tony McGraw-Hill building, including a specially built wing for Stern. When Karmazin first got the job at Sirius, he walked into the offices and said: "Oh, my God. We have a lease here? Do we know we’re losing money and this is radio?"

The lease lasts for at least several more years, he says, "so I have no Jewish guilt." When it is over, he suggested jokingly, they may have to move the company to Queens or New Jersey.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/enterta...an_just_nerve/
    Last edited by john163888; 02-02-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Joined: Feb 2010 Location: Wayne County, Michigan Posts: 80
    02-02-2012, 10:41 AM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Gary View Post
    thanks john! things also look very good on th oem side. i wonder if tyler will have an article up on this:

Auto Sales at Highest Levels Since Recession

QBy Craig Trudell and Keith Naughton - Feb 1, 2012 10:08 PM ET Automakers sold new cars and trucks in January at the fastest pace since the 2009 “cash for clunkers” program without resorting to profit-sapping discounts, signaling demand returned to pre-recession levels.

U.S. light-vehicle sales accelerated to a 14.2 million seasonally adjusted annualized rate in January, the highest since the August 2009 government trade-in program. Honda Motor Co. reported its first increase since its inventory plunged after Japan’s tsunami in March that interrupted the auto market’s recovery last year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ller-cars.html
    ho, you have got to love this time of year. 14.2 million! that is great news gary. maybe we will make some money off this pig after all. but remember, as me and homer have always said, there will be an increased upfront cost of adding subs from that kind of runrate
    Last edited by john163888; 02-02-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Head Honcho
    02-03-2012, 03:40 AM #3
    Howard Stern got 3 segments again on Letterman. Its not accident that Howard was there for Lettermans 30th anniversary. Despite what people think Stern still pulls massive ratings, that's why Dave has him on.

1. How good will this americas got talent thing be for Sirius XM? He is a bit douchey on TV for some reason, I think he tries too hard.

2. How screwed is Sirius XM when he leaves? He could ruin a quarter or a whole year. Will you guys be ready to sell if he doesn't renew? I know I will (especially with no clear successor).
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Head Honcho
    02-08-2012, 03:35 PM #4
    It's too bad no one comes around the stock threads anymore, I would love to chat about what people like long term right now. I'm wondering what people are invested in other than spec stocks. I've been in VZ and AAPL for ages and have done quite well but, it's time to diversify.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder