07-22-2008, 11:48 PM #1

Radio Merger May Rest on One Vote

Both Mr. Adelstein and Ms. Tate are waiting to be reconfirmed by the Senate for another term on the FCC, which has increased the ability of both sides to pressure them.

The FCC may opt to deal with the outstanding enforcement issues in a consent decree with the companies, although it could take a few more days to hammer out details. An FCC spokesman declined to comment.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1216..._whats_news_us

1. This is the second time in 17 months that I have seen the main stream media reference the ridiculous politics involved in this. I believe the other one came out a few weeks ago quoting an analyst saying "but what isn't political"

2. Who is familiar with the consent decree. Is that just a FCC ruling without any kind of proceeding?

3. I'm not sure why the enforcement issues have to be resolved before consummating the merger as both companies will still exist as legal entities, XM being a subsidiary.

Whatever it takes. The more and more that leaks from the FCC it seems Tate is poised to move forward immediately following all of this. Now if only the FCC's definition of progress and "few days" was anything that we could rely on, I'd feel better. haha

Enthusiast
    07-23-2008, 12:54 AM #2

Tate's Remaining FCC Term Apparently Running On Fumes

http://www.benton.org/node/10038

* Martin Disrupts Tate-Adelstein Deal: Sources
    Federal Communications Commission chairman Kevin Martin scuttled a deal between the White House and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) designed to award new terms to incumbent FCC commissioners, Republican Deborah Taylor Tate and Democrat Jonathan Adelstein. Chairman Martin rejected the deal because it required him to pledge to Reid in writing that he would resign his FCC commission in January 2009 if a Democrat were elected president in November. A White House spokeswoman, who declined to be named, said it "was highly unusual" that a Senate leader would even attempt to obtain Martin's conditional resignation in an effort to ease Senate confirmation for two nominees. Tate's FCC term expired last June 30. Under law, she may remain in office until Congress adjourns later this year if a replacement has not been confirmed. Adelstein's term expires in June. Bush renominated Tate last June and Adelstein last November. Here's the scenario Reid wanted to avoid: If Tate and Adelstein were confirmed this year and Martin remained at the FCC well into 2009, a new Democratic president could designate Adelstein or FCC Democrat Michael Copps to be chairman of the five-member agency but Republicans would still have a one-vote advantage: Martin, Tate, and Robert McDowell. In that case, the new Democratic president would not have an opportunity to confirm a Democrat at the FCC - and secure an FCC majority for Democrats -- until McDowell's term expired in June 2009.

07-23-2008, 08:41 AM #3
    The million dollar question: does she feel slighted by Martin? How important is a position on the FCC to her? Enough to make her go against her own party, and its ideals?

Hey Deb, you had a good run. Why don't you go home and take up gardening, or volunteering at the library to read books to the kids?

Enthusiast
    07-23-2008, 09:08 AM #4
    According to one party, Tate wanted Martin to sign the letter but she declined to speak to him directly. Tate, this individual said, feared that Martin would demand her support for policies she otherwise would not embrace.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/....html?nid=4262

Adelstein was the liason between Sen. Reid and Martin. Adelstein could not persuade Chairman Martin to sign the letter that would have served to extend both Adelstein's and Tate's commissions. Apparently, they both have been left twisting in the wind, b/c Martin refused to insure his own expedited departure should a Democratic President win in November.

Don't know what impact if any this would have on Tate's vote. Gives a small window perhaps into the way she operates. She is not a forceful type, apparently.

07-23-2008, 09:15 AM #5
    Very true. "Send Adelstein in, I'm scared." There was something a while back, I don't even know where I was reading it, but it definitely showed her as a follower, not a leader.

It's not like Martin is in the wrong here. Politics are politics, and if the senator is going to try to push him out of the office to do some restructuring, he's got one back he should be looking out for. Its not his job to keep Tate in place, and its certainly not his job to secure Adelstein's spot.

Enthusiast
    07-23-2008, 09:23 AM #6

Right You Are

I agree with Martin on this and I appreciate the position he was in. Well, at least Tate feels free to vote her own way without undue pressure from anyone.