01-06-2012, 03:51 PM #1

Here's my Dilema - Kenworth NavPlus

I just got a new Kenworth truck. It has an incredible navigation system with the radio and phone and everything under the sun integrated into it. The radio has only Sirius available on it and the programming that I listen to at night is only available on the XM side of this mess ( satellite radio ). I have called to corporate Kenworth in Washington state and was told that that is all that is available ( Sirius ). So now my dilema what options do I have besides hanging a bunch of junkie add on satellite recievers on the dash to get the programming that I want or is SIRIUSXM going to wake up and let the subscribers get the programming that they want via the radio that they have. All I want is talk channels 166 and 168 to be available on this Sirius radio that is integrated in the NAV system in the truck. That doesnt seem to be to much to ask? OR IS IT??

Head Honcho
    01-06-2012, 05:46 PM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by OTR Driver View Post
    That doesnt seem to be to much to ask? OR IS IT??
    Although I agree and the situation is confusing, it actually is too much to ask. Although the two companies have merged they still operate by streaming data from 2 very different satellite systems. Those satellites have a finite bandwidth limit so, unless they consolidate the Sirius and XM channels down, there is no way to stream all of the content from both services through one satellite.

I know it stinks, I feel your pain but, I hope my explanation at least sheds some light on the issue.

What unit is in the dash exactly? Maybe you can swap out the Sirius brain for an XM brain?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-06-2012, 06:03 PM #3
    It is an integrated radio with the Kenworth NavPlus system. It would seem as if you could just change a module in the dash to get XM but I cannot get any info to help. I did call Kenworth corporate directly and was told that they were informed that XM is going to go away and that is why they decided to only install Sirius in the new trucks. If I could get info regarding changing out a module unit or something in the dash I would do it in a minute. Thanks for your help.

Head Honcho
    01-10-2012, 01:10 AM #4
    Unfortunately, from what I understand, the NavPlus system has the sirius receiver built in. Sorry man, you're going to have to email Sirius and let them you know you want XM ch. 166 & 168 or grab an aftermarket xm plug and play receiver. It's unfortunate but, with all of that cab space, you should be able to do a nice clean install somewhere.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder