Page 3 of 3 123
    Banned
    07-20-2008, 08:39 PM #21
    This is such a hot topic...I mean really...just look at the first line...

SIRIUS will be changing the format of their broadcast on July 22, 2008 to allow for additional programming
    I mean, what the hell does THAT mean? Changing the format? Will this affect all radios or just certain Ford radios? How can a format be changed that only affects some radios and not others? The fact that it makes no sense is the intriguing part...so many questions, so few answers.

Enthusiast
    07-20-2008, 08:49 PM #22
    Quote Originally Posted by crfceo View Post
    This is such a hot topic...I mean really...just look at the first line...

I mean, what the hell does THAT mean? Changing the format? Will this affect all radios or just certain Ford radios? How can a format be changed that only affects some radios and not others? The fact that it makes no sense is the intriguing part...so many questions, so few answers.

That is what makes me think the merger is approved by majority votes, All i know is XM uses a different Codec then Sirius. Most likely XM's Codec is being imported for Sirius's benefit, since this was a Ford dealer that leaked this information, it is reasonable thought that it would be brought to every receiver in one update which would account for size since each receiver is most likely needed to be programmed differently ex: Mac OS Universal updates are bigger then just Intel and Power PC updates since it contains both versions.)

Banned
    07-20-2008, 08:56 PM #23
    I think Tate voted conditionally last week...I just lack any evidence to support my theory..short of adelstein coming forward..

Enthusiast
    07-20-2008, 09:07 PM #24
    Quote Originally Posted by crfceo View Post
    I think Tate voted conditionally last week...I just lack any evidence to support my theory..short of adelstein coming forward..
    That's a lot of issues with the merger, Cobbs and Adelstein haven't voted publicly, but logically put would be that Cobbs voted some time in June privately, Given he was going to vote no lets put that as a given. so currently we have a 3-2 vote but currently we only know 2 official votes.

Honestly I feel we been in the window since the second yes vote but I don't see the FCC Denying the merger anymore.

So Far the first 2 we know of was the 17th and the 11th, most likely July 17th was Adelstein and 18th was Tate. I'm thinking cobbs was in-between that June - July. Tate was hugely influenced by the NAB not paying country musicians while XM/Sirius gives money to them.
    Last edited by demonotaku; 07-20-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Head Honcho
    07-20-2008, 09:22 PM #25

Channel update

If there is a channel update, it would make perfect sence to do it no matter what. In other words, with or without merger approval. It is betterto be ready to implement the added a-la-carte channels as soon as possible should the merger gain approval. Remember, Sirius and XM will need to "re-sell" thismerger to the buying public, and they will want to strike as fast as possible.

Possibilities for the update may include:

1. a-la-carte programming

2. Set aside channels for informational and minority programming.

A month or so ago there was a testing phase, and consumers had "drop-outs". It is possible Ford, and maybe even other OEM's had complaints. This time around perhaps Sirius is giving a "heads-up" to the OEM's. If a note went to Ford, it may well have gone to other OEM's as well.

Better to be prepared and have to undo it, than to have the merger pass after 18 months, and not be prepared. These companies have to hit the ground running upon approval.
    Tyler Savery
    Satellite Standard Founder

Enthusiast
    07-20-2008, 09:28 PM #26
    Quote Originally Posted by TSavery View Post
    If there is a channel update, it would make perfect sence to do it no matter what. In other words, with or without merger approval. It is betterto be ready to implement the added a-la-carte channels as soon as possible should the merger gain approval. Remember, Sirius and XM will need to "re-sell" thismerger to the buying public, and they will want to strike as fast as possible.

Possibilities for the update may include:

1. a-la-carte programming

2. Set aside channels for informational and minority programming.

A month or so ago there was a testing phase, and consumers had "drop-outs". It is possible Ford, and maybe even other OEM's had complaints. This time around perhaps Sirius is giving a "heads-up" to the OEM's. If a note went to Ford, it may well have gone to other OEM's as well.

Better to be prepared and have to undo it, than to have the merger pass after 18 months, and not be prepared. These companies have to hit the ground running upon approval.
    remember tho, the a-la-cart was only going to be in the receivers made After the merger, it isn't something a software update would do. Also why create the free space side until its confirmed you are going to merge, it would just be a waste of space if they are not merging or under spaced it.

Also remember this isn't a simple channel change, this is something much more complex if its requiring 5 hrs to download unlike normal updates which is 5 minutes

A la carte programming will be available starting within one year following the merger, and the other programming options will be available beginning within six months after the merger.

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/xm-and-sirius-d.html
    Last edited by demonotaku; 07-20-2008 at 09:43 PM. Reason: added link to A-la-cart details

Mentor
    07-21-2008, 12:13 AM #27
    Demon, allow me to point you to an article that is more recent. Here is the official proposal submitted to the FCC HERE .

It says A-la-carte within 3 months.

A-la-carte is not the same thing as interopperable.

Enthusiast
    07-21-2008, 12:39 AM #28
    Re-Read what TSavery said, I only used that as a Example due to the fact it prove that A-La cart wouldn't be used in this 5hr download patch

Mentor
    07-21-2008, 07:06 AM #29
    Why not?

Sirius said that A-la-carte would be available within 3 months. Perhaps they are preparing for it now. A software update is not something that is expensive, other than the development of it. The development is something that takes time, and they have been working on it for a while. Perhaps they are putting out the update now, that way they can test it appropriately before they actually make the update active.

I do not see the common sence in delaying the patch when it appears that the merger is pretty much in the bag already. What if there is a problem with the update? What if there is a bug that needs to be worked out? That would prevent them from getting the A-la-carte out and running within their stated time frame. Doing it now only makes sence to me.

Page 3 of 3 123