Banned
    07-19-2008, 12:31 PM #1

The Week In Review: 7/13 Edition

With so many filings being added to the record this week, I thought it best to break them down. By seeing clearly whom is meeting with whom and in regards to what, we may get a clearer picture.

On Monday, we learned that NPR stated in a filing that the commies (new for "commissioners" since the Adelstein fiasco) were moving forward with the merger. The NAB began pushing hard for concessions rather than denial of the merger.

On Tuesday, the FCC told c3sr and the NAB that the merger could proceed despite enforcement, interoperability and candor issues. Within moments of this news becoming public, a media blitz ensued in which Sen. Markey who had received 33,000 dollars in campaign contributions from the NAB, came out with a list of concessions that seemed to border on insanity. These would later be adopted nearly word for word by Adelstein later in the week.

On Wednesday, we learned that the NAB had met with Adelstein, as well as PK and MAP; submitting their recommendations which would later be adopted by Adelstein. The Word Network met with Tate's advisor to discuss set-aside proposals. And Davenport of Georgetown met with the only willing ear he could find at this point...Michael Copps.

On Thursday things really heated up! Adelstein "parroted" senator Markey. NAB representatives met with Tate on concessions. Chester met with Adelstein's staff. US Electronics met with Adelstein's staff. Entercom phoned Tate and Martin and urged Tate to vote against the merger. Clear channel, once vehemently opposed to the Merger, met with Tate to discuss the hybrid digital requirement. Sirius and Xm counsel met with Martin & Tate on enforcement bureau issues (WCS) and Alphastar emerged as the next spectrum thief in line.

Which brings us to yesterday. Chester had met with Martin which was followed by an avalanche of letters from black interest groups NBCI and NABB, opposing the merger. Xm filed a 47 page document in response to WCS issues. APM sent Martin 2 letters regarding hybrid digital radio, 25% set aside and enforcement. Clear channel met with Adelstein staff and sent a letter to Martin regarding enforcement of mandates before the approval of the merger. Xm refi' a bunch of debt. Sirius and xm had met with Tate again on enforcement issues, and MAP and PK again met with Adelstein on establishing an independent monitor.

So what can we learn from all of this? Clearly, the merger will be approved. There can and should be no doubt in this anymore. The deal would appear to be done. The terms are now the focus.

The meetings seem to be redundant in regards to terms. The Georgetown meetings and subsequent backlash by Chesters friends would indicate that he is threatening race issues in a final attempt a spectrum acquisition. It also suggests that he will fall short. Adelstein adopted all the plans of the people he met with...its clear as to why, so I'll let it go at that. The complete lack of any work on the part of commie Copps, is proof that he has no interest in any negotiation and will vote against the merger.

Which for a third week in row, puts the focus clearly on Tate. Focusing on Tates meetings, we see there are very few, and the focus seems to be related to enforcement bureau issues. Clear Channels meeting with her could be construed as a sign that she is not convinced the broadcasters should get a free ride on the work of Sirius and Xm.

Adelsteins attempt at more concessions I believe is a response to the intentions of Commissioner Tate. My best guess would be that she is giving him the opportunity to eek more out of the deal. He would not have supported the merger at all if Tate's intention was to vote no.
    Last edited by crfceo; 07-19-2008 at 02:30 PM.

07-19-2008, 12:52 PM #2
    Good summary. The tea leaves do indicate the finalization of the merger, sooner rather than later, but Tate is certainly a mystery.

I found this valuable post at another forum. Plowboy gets all the credit for his exhaustive research on Tate's history. Here was his summary:

"You know, spending a few hours looking over her life's work you can't help but see the picture of a decent person who has interest in the areas of women's advancement and the protection of children. She is also well educated albeit (from my perspective) too much of a Bush type Bible thumper in the areas of speech and media. She's also appears to be a very nice and charming person who is good at networking. I think she's undoubtedly someone that is attracted to the limelight, to public speaking, to travel, to receiving and giving awards and recognition and well versed in the nicer things in life and the social graces.

What she is not is a driver or decision maker. I was unable to find an example in her work where she initiated action of took a firm and decided stand. She just kind of goes along and gets along. Not a skill set that is of any value as an FCC Commissioner, BTW.

Basically, if there were a Birthday party and someone did the invitations, planning, decorating, present purchase and clean up after it would not be Deb Tate. But she would absolutely be the one carrying the cake, smiling, to the table while the guests sang."

Enthusiast
    07-19-2008, 07:43 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by crfceo View Post
    Adelsteins attempt at more concessions I believe is a response to the intentions of Commissioner Tate. My best guess would be that she is giving him the opportunity to eek more out of the deal. He would not have supported the merger at all if Tate's intention was to vote no.
    When asked by the reporter what Tate's ideas were, Adelstein declined to comment directly, but he replied that he and Tate were working together. I think that your interpretation may be a teeny bit optimistic, but it sounds reasonable and it makes a great deal of sense.

Regarding the Adelstein/Tate dynamic what other scenarios could exist?

Interesting also that Adelstein can be so intellectually dishonest (in a live teevee interview) about what the (free to the public) spectrum concessions would do to damage the company's success. Anyone with a paid sub who let it lapse, would surely be less inclined to renew it if there was any remaining noise on the band upon expiration. OTOH, if the service went totally dark, a customer would be very inclined to re-up for some level of broadcast service.