Page 1 of 2 12
    Legend
    11-02-2011, 03:01 PM #1

Super Committee Gets an Earful

TPMDC
    Super Committee Republicans Get Earful Over Loyalty To Grover Norquist

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...st.php?ref=fpa

BRIAN BEUTLER NOVEMBER 2, 2011, 12:30 PM 5109 86
    While Super Committee Democrats are pressed to accept unpopular, and illiberal proposals like raising the Medicare eligibility age to 67 over several years, Republicans are under increasing pressure to cut Grover Norquist loose.

The well-funded anti-tax crusader has secured pledges from the vast majority of Republican members of Congress, including all six GOP members of the Super Committee, to never raise taxes on net. And that’s the key reason the panel is deadlocked with just three weeks until its deadline.

Legend
    11-02-2011, 03:15 PM #2
    Simpson is former Republican Senator from Wyoming i believe.

Simpson went on: “So here he is. I asked him. He said, ‘My hero is Ronald Reagan.’ I said, ‘Well, he raised taxes 11 times in his eight years.’ And he said, ‘I know. I didn’t like that at all.’ I said, ‘Well, he did it. Why do you suppose?’ He said, ‘I don’t know. Very disappointing.’ I said, ‘He probably did it to make the country run, another sick idea.’”

Guru
    11-02-2011, 03:25 PM #3
    I don't believe democrats are going to allow this committee to fail because of their rigid ideology to increase the tax rates of high earners when even Bill Gates says it isn't enough.

It's a great political tactic by the dems. I have to hand them that. Right now the OWS movement is getting energized by the unwillingness of dems to move off their demands for higher tax rates on high earners even though the top 1% pay nearly 37% of all income taxes. It is also interesting that they don't want to cut loopholes which does has the same result. Or does it? Cutting loopholes is not nearly as energenic as raisng taxes on the rich. Much less effect. If you're into demogoguery, you may as well do it right.

Legend
    11-02-2011, 03:32 PM #4
    Thanks for giving us your "rigid" ideological point of view on Democratic strategy.

Now how about those Alan Simpson comments? lol
    And how about discussing Conservative Republican strategy?
    Last edited by Havakasha; 11-02-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Guru
    11-02-2011, 04:07 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Thanks for giving us your "rigid" ideological point of view on Democratic strategy.

Now how about those Alan Simpson comments? lol
    And how about discussing Conservative Republican strategy?
    Oh, it gets better yet. As this unfolds, the dems blame the republicans. The OWS'ers embrace this and with media coverage, it solidifies.

Then Obama calls on Krugman to head up his economic team................ Then we hand over 60% of our paycheck so we can all be equal and truly free to explore our liberties.

Legend
    11-02-2011, 04:30 PM #6
    Whats the Republican playbook?

And what did you think of Alan Simpsons comments? Dont be sheepish. We know how you feel. lol

Krugman to head Obama's economic team? Are you dellusional?
    60%? i heard at least 90%. lol

Guru
    11-02-2011, 04:34 PM #7
    Whats the Republican playbook?

And what did you think of Alan Simpsons comments? Dont be sheepish. We know how you feel. lol

Krugman to head Obama's economic team? Are you dellusional?
    60%? i heard at least 90%. lol
    The guy is goofy.

60%. You probably didn't read it earlier, but Denmark has the lowest Gini Coefficient, and their taxes are around 60% which doesn't include a 25% VAT which includes food.

Legend
    11-02-2011, 04:37 PM #8
    He might be goofy but were his facts wrong about Ronald Reagan and didnt he make a good point.

You moving to Denmark anytime soon? I hear it was voted the best place to live and raise a family.
    I am going to have to find that article. lol.

oh i read it alright. i understand more and more about your obsessions.

Guru
    11-02-2011, 04:42 PM #9
    He might be goofy but were his facts wrong about Ronald Reagan and didnt he make a good point.

You moving to Denmark anytime soon? I hear it was voted the best place to live and raise a family.
    I am going to have to find that article. lol.

oh i read it alright. i understand more and more about your obsessions.
    Should have been more clear - Norquist is goofy. Simpson faced him if that is an accurate account.

Obsessions? I noted that Denmark has the lowest Gini Coefficient and wanted to understand how and why. The short answer is they tax the $hit out of their people to support their welfare state. It's all there for the reading.

Legend
    11-02-2011, 04:45 PM #10
    lol. You kinow obsessions about accountants, Peter Schiff, taxes, etc. Now Denmark.

Oh Norquist is goofy. So do you oppose his tax pledge. Which positions of his do you oppose?

Do you have any idea how unhappy or happy the Danish are about their system?

Page 1 of 2 12