Page 1 of 2 12
    Legend
    11-02-2011, 12:34 PM #1

What Would Keynes Tell Us to do Now

SiriuslyAngry, since you seem to want to talk about Keynes, why dont you read this. My quess is that you know very little about him. You seem to almost always spout right wing talking points.
    Enjoy. Its a six page article and i have posted one of those pages

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...a_fact_cassidy

THE DEMAND DOCTORWhat would John Maynard Keynes tell us to do now—and should we listen?
    by John Cassidy
    OCTOBER 10, 2011 Keynes in 1925. He hoped to save capitalism from itself.

John Maynard Keynes; Economy; Recession; The Great Depression; Economic Theories; Economists; The New Deal
    Half a decade has passed since the bursting of a huge asset-price bubble, and the U.S. economy is still depressed. More than ten million Americans are jobless, and many more are working part time. The gross domestic product has yet to recover its pre-bust level. In Florida and other areas where the speculative frenzy ran hot, vast developments stand empty. Overseas, things are no better, and in some places they’re worse. Britain looks much like America. In Continental Europe, a debt crisis is wreaking havoc. Democratically elected governments appear powerless to turn things around. Political extremism is on the rise.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...#ixzz1cZBb6EW6

11-02-2011, 12:51 PM #2
    Havakasha

I just finished reading this article today and found it informative; especially the part about "astute conservatives" realizing that some of their concerns were shared, in part, by Keynes.

Those interested in vilifying who they are brain-washed to disparage would never know this - or anything else useful to understanding complex sujects.

Good post.

Legend
    11-02-2011, 01:17 PM #3
    Thanks. I thought it was very informative as well.

Guru
    11-02-2011, 01:17 PM #4
    First off - Rick Perry is an idiot. Keynesian economics is a politicians best friend (democrat or republican). It was refreshing to read what Typical sites above, but unfortunately, it would appear that the tools of Keyes have become dogma.

I found it quite interesting that inflationism may be a mechanism of income inequality.

http://www.thefreemanonline.org/featured/inflationism/

As stated in the past, I have no problem with stimulus when applied to the construction of real assets which will create real demand in the private sector.

Obama wants to put teachers back to work as a staple of his plan. That's nice. With two kids I appreciate it, but all it serves is his constituency. Cronyism at it's finest.

Legend
    11-02-2011, 01:20 PM #5
    Did you read the entirety of the article? The "tools of Keynes have become dogma"
    Including for those that oppose Keynes?

It used to be that putting teachers back to work was not very controversial. I dont know
    where it began that people call that "cronyism at its finest". No judgement made about
    President Obama's policy beliefs correct? lol

If you argue this way then EVERYTHING THAT ANYONE BELIEVES OR SAYS IS CRONYISM.
    Boy are we in trouble in this country. Thanks for a non partisan and informative response
    to a thread on Keynes. lol
    Last edited by Havakasha; 11-02-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Legend
    11-02-2011, 01:51 PM #6
    SiriuslyAngry have you read the article i posted or are you just going to continue to turn your responses into right wing diatribes on how everything Obama does is "cronyism"? Cant you just respond to the thread?

Legend
    11-02-2011, 02:12 PM #7
    Still waiting as usual for SiriuslyAngry to have a discussion on the thread at hand. He either wants to change the subject and debatesomething else or turn it into a procedural argument.

Guru
    11-02-2011, 02:14 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Did you read the entirety of the article? The "tools of Keynes have become dogma"
    Including for those that oppose Keynes?

It used to be that putting teachers back to work was not very controversial. I dont know
    where it began that people call that "cronyism at its finest". No judgement made about
    President Obama's policy beliefs correct? lol

If you argue this way then EVERYTHING THAT ANYONE BELIEVES OR SAYS IS CRONYISM.
    Boy are we in trouble in this country. Thanks for a non partisan and informative response
    to a thread on Keynes. lol
    You missed the point. Keynes did not endorse deficit spending when at "full" employment. Yet we spent away anyway. That was the point. And the result? http://www.usdebtclock.org/ Wow, we snuck right up to $15 TRILLION already.

Obama is pandering to his constituency. PERIOD. Hey teachers, I'll give you tax dollars from the rich, you give me your vote. Do something that touches MANY, not just FEW.

Now did you read the link I provided? Doubtful. It's a shame.

Legend
    11-02-2011, 02:27 PM #9
    So you are not being "political" when you say Obama is pandering to his constituency "period"? Silly and unarguable.

Yes i understand now. lol. We were not at full employment obviously when Obama proposed a stimulus package which i thought was too small, too loaded with tax cuts, and didnt have enough infrastructure spending. But then Congress and their lobbyists made sure of that.

In case you forgot i started the thread and provided the link. Normal manners supposes that people are supposed to read it and comment. Did you read the article on Keynes i posted? I just asked for a simple yes or no a while ago.

Or did you get busy immediately posting other links espousing peter Schiff and Ron Paul solutions (your favorites) like making sure the U.S. defaulted on its debt.

Guru
    11-02-2011, 02:41 PM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    So you are not being "political" when you say Obama is pandering to his constituency "period"? Silly and unarguable.

Yes i understand now. lol. We were not at full employment obviously when Obama proposed a stimulus package which i thought was too small, too loaded with tax cuts, and didnt have enough infrastructure spending. But then Congress and their lobbyists made sure of that.

In case you forgot i started the thread and provided the link. Normal manners supposes that people are supposed to read it and comment. Did you read the article on Keynes i posted? I just asked for a simple yes or no a while ago.

Or did you get busy immediately posting other links espousing peter Schiff and Ron Paul solutions (your favorites) like making sure the U.S. defaulted on its debt.
    It's an observation and it is meritous. Obama is pandering / catering / playing / whatever to his constituency.

You miss the point again. The national debt has been increasing for 50 years many of which were "good" years. It is a culmination, not a specific point in time. Obama's stimulus, in retrospect, should have been better spent as you suggest. Many states used stimuls funds to patch their budgets which simply maintained the status quo, and ended up really stimulating nothing. At this point, it was an opportunity lost.

Yes, I did read it and noted the comment on "full" employment. It should have been obvious.

Page 1 of 2 12