Page 2 of 2 12
    07-17-2008, 07:06 PM #11
    The more I think about it, this news shouldn't be that surprising. I mean granted he has been silent and some people speculated that he might support the deal... but he's a democrat. And we've always suspected that this would come down to party lines.

Unless I missed it, his tuner requirement (like always) refuses to address who would pay for the chip. Which IMO is the most essential part of the proposal. Its the elephant in the room that no one wants to address.

Come on Tate...

Enthusiast
    07-17-2008, 07:43 PM #12

Unhappy Odd Wording In Adelstein Blurb

Bad news....he DOES want low def radio....

"Adelstein is proposing that the companies be required to include a digital radio tuner in any radios they subsidize that also include regular, non-digital AM-FM service."

This could be construed to mean that only the radios SIRI/XM subsidizes which already contain a standard AM/FM band would be required to also contain (the failing) HD radio as well.

We are accustomed to these kinds of odd phrases, they seem to abound in all sirius matters.

Also, I do not quite understand what Adelstein means by the word subsidize in the context he is using.

Enthusiast
    07-17-2008, 08:10 PM #13
    Quote Originally Posted by deewcom View Post
    Bad news....he DOES want low def radio....

"Adelstein is proposing that the companies be required to include a digital radio tuner in any radios they subsidize that also include regular, non-digital AM-FM service."

This could be construed to mean that only the radios SIRI/XM subsidizes which already contain a standard AM/FM band would be required to also contain (the failing) HD radio as well.

We are accustomed to these kinds of odd phrases, they seem to abound in all sirius matters.

Also, I do not quite understand what Adelstein means by the word subsidize in the context he is using.
    I would assume any radios XM/Sirius Pay for/ or give a discount with a subscription like a cell phone

07-17-2008, 08:31 PM #14
    This was part of the HD inclusion discussion earlier. I forget in who's exparte, but the clarification was that the combined satellite company would not need to install HD capability in its stand alone receivers. They would only have to include it in the combined receivers that already had FM capability.

Enthusiast
    07-17-2008, 09:10 PM #16

Good Article

HD stands for Hybrid Digital (not Hi Def!) and it is loaded with commercials. No wonder its been a big flop. Great article. Very enlightening. Explains a lot. The tack-on, piggyback HD that Adelstein and others are pushing is a travesty. Its a failed product and NAB is trying like hell to get SIRI/XM to rescue the stink bomb in its death throes.

The only way any SIRI/XM subscribers would listen to HD radio is if they didn't pay their subscription bill and were left with no other choice. That seems to be the desperation angle the NAB is pursuing with its attempt to ride the coattails of the popular SIRI/XM.

Adelstein has either not scrutinized the matter carefully enough and/or he may be beholden to the NAB.

07-17-2008, 09:29 PM #17
    The HD Radio requirement can be thrown out the window, the biggest cost with forcing HD Radio would be, the manufacturers producing 14+ million cars a year, if 50% of them have Sirius/XM, and it costs $10 for each HD Radio chip, that's 70M a year that Sirius would have to pay.

So how do they beat that? By allowing the manufacturers to develop their own OEM radio that has AM/FM, Sirius then just ships them a Satellite radio with no AM/FM ability.

iBullshit can then continue to chase the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Page 2 of 2 12