Page 2 of 2 12
    Legend
    09-09-2011, 09:20 AM #11
    If you haven't seen Paul Krugman's take on President Obama's jobs plan, it's worth reading:

Krugman:
    "First things first: I was favorably surprised by the new Obama jobs plan, which is significantly bolder and better than I expected. It’s not nearly as bold as the plan I’d want in an ideal world. But if it actually became law, it would probably make a significant dent in unemployment."
    The reason Krugman was favorably surprised is that the proposal was 50% larger than early reports: $450 billion, including more spending than early leaks suggested as well as a bigger temporary tax cut for the middle-class. The big problem? Republicans:

"Of course, it isn’t likely to become law, thanks to G.O.P. opposition. Nor is anything else likely tohappen that will do much to help the 14 million Americans out of work. And that is both a tragedy and an outrage."
    Or to put it more bluntly:

"So, at this point, leading Republicans are basically against anything that might help the unemployed."
    But even though it may be an impossible task for President Obama to get Republicans to do the right thing, at least he's put forward a plan to change the conversation from the dreary talk of deficits and towards the important challenge of creating jobs now:

"The good news in all this is that by going bigger and bolder than expected, Mr. Obama may finallyhave set the stage for a political debate about job creation. For, in the end, nothing will be done until the American people demand action."
    Even if President Obama's plan isn't perfect, it would do a lot of good. And it gives him, congressional Democrats, and people like you and me something to rally around and something to push for.

Odds are, Republicans will turn their backs. But the only chance we have of getting something done is to demand that they take action. President Obama's speech last night was the beginning of that effort. And it can't be the end.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 09-09-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Legend
    09-09-2011, 11:17 AM #12
    Eugene Robinson at Washington Post

"The measures Obama proposed are eminently reasonable. Who could argue with repairing the nation’s infrastructure, modernizing our children’s schools or providing jobs for brave returning veterans? The program is full of tons of GOP-friendly tax cuts, and it will be entertaining to watch Republicans twist themselves into pretzels to reject so many of their own ideas. But reject them they surely will. The party’s campaign message for 2012 is that Obama is always wrong about everything. At this point, does anyone expect John Boehner and Mitch McConnell to say, “Great ideas, Mr. President, we’ll get all this stuff right through.”

Senate Republicans will threaten to filibuster and House Republicans will just say no. Then what? “We are not going to be overly concerned about their initial answer,” a senior administration official said in an interview before the speech. “We’re not going to say, ‘Okay, we’re going back to the drawing board.’ We are going to make the case for this.”

The senior official said the president’s package, which will cost $447 billion, should create between 1.5 million and 2 million jobs and perhaps boost GDP by 2 percentage points. Those sound like pretty generous estimates to me. Even if they aren’t, by Election Day the economy would hardly be roaring. Unemployment would be lower, but still painfully high. Conditions still wouldn’t be ideal for an incumbent president seeking reelection."

Guru
    09-09-2011, 01:22 PM #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    I dont agree that he is a closet "repuke", but i understand and appreciate your argument.

Would you have said the same about Bill Clinton during his terms in office?
    Well, is he or is he not a "closet repuke"? I'm with Hava-gafa-kasha on this one. lol.

Guru
    09-09-2011, 01:26 PM #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    I hear you. I quess this is an argument over semantics. There are CLEARLY significant differences between President Obama, and former President Clinton, and the Republicans in Congress today.
    "Semantics"? I think you're missing the mark. Here's a breifer, and I'm being polite about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_system

Guru
    09-09-2011, 02:29 PM #15
    These folks certainly don't believe Obama is a "closet repuke" lol.

http://commieblaster.com/index.html

Watch the Soros clip - Hava-gafa-kasha's favorite. Now I see why you hate Glenn Beck and Fox News.

Page 2 of 2 12