Page 1 of 4 123 ...
    Legend
    08-30-2011, 04:58 PM #1

Taxes Should Favor Work Over Wealth:Echoes

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...th-echoes.html

Taxes Should Favor Work Over Wealth: Echoes
    By Joseph J. Thorndike Aug 30, 2011 2:57 PM ET 7 Comments Q

Two weeks ago, Warren E. Buffett called for raising taxes on wealth. In honor of Labor Day, let's consider a different question: should we lower taxes on work?
    As Buffett pointed out, rich people -- especially investors -- get a relatively easy ride under the current tax law. Much of their income comes in the form of capital gains and dividends, both of which are usually taxed at a maximum rate of 15 percent.
    By contrast, most people who depend on wage income to buy groceries face higher rates. According to the Tax Policy Center, an independent think tank, most people making more than $12,500 annually will pay higher effective rates than Buffett and his fellow billionaires.
    Rich wage earners will pay a lot more: a salary man making $500,000 can face effective rates near 38 percent, much more than someone making the same amount from investments.

Legend
    09-16-2011, 12:12 AM #2
    i was wondering if you agreed S&L?

Legend
    09-20-2011, 10:58 AM #3
    Still wondering.

I love it when S&L runs from a debate. L)

Maybe he is too busy fretting over all of Peter Schiff's wrong predictions?

This is a serious article. Why not respond? I respond to your threads.
    Last edited by SiriusBuzz; 11-16-2011 at 06:04 AM. Reason: No need to post 4 times in a row.

Guru
    09-21-2011, 01:03 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    This is a serious article. Why not respond? I respond to your threads.
    Quite candidly, I was busy "discussing issues" with you on other threads lol.

I love the way you use the word "debate". It's funny coming from you.

We all know that 50% don't pay taxes. Politifact says so and you seem to trust Politifact: http://www.politifact.com/virginia/s...ericans-dont-/

Yet week after week 10% or 15% or even 25% of a workers pay is removed from his check. Why remove it if the net tax gain becomes ZERO? We waste time, money and effort. Let the bottom 50% PAY NO WITHHOLDING, and let them KEEP the wages they earn.

I don't care if it's the bottom 50% or the bottom 38% as the Daily Kos calculates. It is still a lot of work for NOTHING, and the little guy gets less of the wages he earned.

Happy now? I responded to this serious article in a serious fashion.
    Last edited by SiriuslyLong; 09-21-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Legend
    09-21-2011, 02:53 PM #5
    40% may not pay taxes but I have shown you the facts that most of those couldn't possibly afford to pay taxes. So lets have a really honest debate rather than always using Republican talking points and figures.

I mean you did admit that a family of 4 making 25,000 a year is not exactly in a position to pay taxes. Lord knows you make quite a bit more than that and are CONSTANTLY upset about the taxes you pay. Imagine how they must feel about their financial situation.

Guru
    09-21-2011, 05:02 PM #6
    40% may not pay taxes but I have shown you the facts that most of those couldn't possibly afford to pay taxes. So lets have a really honest debate rather than always using Republican talking points and figures.

I mean you did admit that a family of 4 making 25,000 a year is not exactly in a position to pay taxes. Lord knows you make quite a bit more than that and are CONSTANTLY upset about the taxes you pay. Imagine how they must feel about their financial situation.
    So not withholding taxes from the lowest wage earners and allowing them to take home that money is a republican talking point? I swear you didn't read a single word of what I posted. Not one single word. Either that, or you have a comprehension problem. Or maybe you have a reply already in the can regardless of what I say? Has to be something.

Legend
    09-21-2011, 05:36 PM #7
    "we all know that 50% dont pay taxes." Yes thats a Republican talking point. Or didnt you know? lol

i will have to research your tax proposal to see if it makes sense. Just curious where did you read about it?

Guru
    09-23-2011, 09:21 AM #8
    "we all know that 50% dont pay taxes." Yes thats a Republican talking point. Or didnt you know? lol

i will have to research your tax proposal to see if it makes sense. Just curious where did you read about it?
    No where. I'm not beholden to one ideology like you. You have to get your "facts" and ideas from very "specific" web sites, columnists, economists.... lol. And as I said, whether it's 50% or 38% as your liberal spouting source says, it's still quite high. Still a lot of people getting money taken away from them that they could probably use.

Guru
    09-27-2011, 07:34 PM #9

Politifact says that 50% don't, and you rely on them for other topics. Are you saying they are right on some things and wrong on others??? Or are they promoting republican talking points lol.

Here's the link to refresh your memory: http://www.politifact.com/virginia/s...ericans-dont-/

Look, I don't care about the above. You did note that you'd have to research my proposal to see if it makes sense. How is your research coming?? Are you finding some articles? Have you thought about it yourself?? It's been several days.

Guru
    09-27-2011, 07:43 PM #10
    And to be clear, because demogogues can twist this around, the rich DO have lower income tax RATES.

http://www.politifact.com/virginia/s...ericans-dont-/

But we all know that the rich pay more income tax dollars.

Page 1 of 4 123 ...