Page 1 of 3 123
    Banned
    07-19-2008, 09:58 PM #1

hmmm....I don't know what to make of it.

The following was sent to Ford dealers:

SIRIUS System Updates

Intermittent Muting of Some Channels Beginning July 22, 2008

SIRIUS will be changing the format of their broadcast on July 22, 2008 to allow for additional programming. Unfortunately, this change may cause some intermittent open sky muting on some channels. SIRIUS will begin broadcasting a corrective firmware patch in the middle of August to fix vehicles in the field with this symptom. When downloading is complete, this patch will resolve the muting issues. There is no serviceable defect with the SDARS receiver or antenna in these vehicles, and there should be no warranty repairs attempted to replace the receiver or antenna for this complaint.

Affected vehicles
    All MY 2008 and 2009 Ford / Lincoln / Mercury with SDARS (Satellite Digital Audio Radio Services)

What customers may experience prior to receiving SIRIUS system updates
    Customers receiving the download will be able to use their radio normally. However, while listening to some channels, the customer may experience intermittent open-sky muting

What customers may experience following SIRIUS system updates
    It will take between one day to four weeks for a typical customer to receive and install the download, depending on customer drive times. The vehicle must be on and receiving the SDARS signal to receive the download. A vehicle that is on continuously for 2.5 hours with uninterrupted SDARS signal will likely receive half of the entire update. With an ignition cycle and the vehicle on continuously for another 2.5 hours with uninterrupted SDARS signal they will likely receive the second half of the download.

After a vehicle has received the entire download, the next time the ignition is turned on, the SDARS receiver will install the update and the open-sky muting issue will be resolved. Depending on the radio display type, the customer will see the following prompt for approximately 45 seconds when in SDARS: "SIRIUS", or "SIRIUS UPDATING, PLEASE WAIT".

Resolution to Customer Complaints
    There is no serviceable defect with the SDARS receiver or antenna in these vehicles, and there should be no warranty repairs attempted to replace the receiver or antenna for this complaint. The intermittent open-sky muting is a SIRIUS broadcast issue, and therefore customers should be directed to call the SIRIUS Customer Call Center at 1-888-539-7474 for further information regarding this issue.

Banned
    07-19-2008, 10:00 PM #2
    Does anyone else think this is to make room for xm broadcasting? It's out of my league.

Enthusiast
    07-20-2008, 12:27 AM #3
    Maybe it is time to enable Interoperable devices?

Banned
    07-20-2008, 12:32 AM #4
    I was thinking of you when I posted that. I think that may be what they are doing..as soon as I saw that word firmware I recalled our conversation...

Enthusiast
    07-20-2008, 11:37 AM #5

Can't be Construed As Bad News

For shareholders and pro-merger afficionados, this appears to be a very good sign. Excellent find, crfceo. Were you surfing the net for that bit or did you find it by other means?

Re: the memo itself, it is interesting that two 2.5 hour "on" periods are required to capture the completed download. Also interesting is that the download has multitudinous start and stop points that can be activated at any time the receiver is on. Ergo, the five hour download will likely occur for most customers in many segments over a period of time.

Techies may have some clues as to the type and size of the system change we are looking at.

From a non-technical point of view, it looks like a major deal due to the amount of time the download will require.

Banned
    07-20-2008, 11:47 AM #6
    Were you surfing the net for that bit or did you find it by other means?
    It was posted by a Ford dealer last night at 10 p.m. It's received nearly 100 comments...

Head Honcho
    07-20-2008, 03:09 PM #7

In My Opinion

In my opinion this has more to do with preparation for the a-la-carte programming where the "best of both" might be an offring. Should the merger pass, then Sirius and XM would want to impliment features as soon as possible.

Sirius uses statistical multiplexing to utilize their bandwidth. Channels are assigned a slot of bandwidth, and then also share bandwidth when needed. Likely, this has some preparation that needs to happen. New channel slots need to be created, and that would mean that receivers would need updating.

It is IMO not a sign that the merger will pass, nor a sign that receivers are interoperable. It is more likely a sign that there will be some work happening, and Sirius wants Ford to know about it so that they can respond to inquiries with the correct information. The updates, and informing users of the updates is a responsible course of action.

Interoperable? IMO no. Prudent preparation? IMO yes.
    Tyler Savery
    Satellite Standard Founder

07-20-2008, 05:34 PM #8
    I agree, I think it's about alacarte.

However, I wonder why Ford is the only company we've heard about this from. Then again, what was an "internal" Ford memo doing posted to the internet? Were you the first to stumble accross this Crf?

Enthusiast
    07-20-2008, 05:52 PM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by zcurzan View Post
    I agree, I think it's about alacarte.

However, I wonder why Ford is the only company we've heard about this from. Then again, what was an "internal" Ford memo doing posted to the internet? Were you the first to stumble accross this Crf?
    So far at least what i could track back quickly

A Ford Dealer, who is on he yahoo Sirius board posted the memo because it was strange to receive one on late Saturday night

http://messages.yahoo.com/Business_%...frt=2&off=1#-1

Edit - He also posted about Ford and Sirius before so it should be real
    Edit 2 - Ford's cost to cost have gotten the memo
    Last edited by demonotaku; 07-20-2008 at 06:01 PM. Reason: updated info

Enthusiast
    07-20-2008, 06:15 PM #10
    New channel slots need to be created, and that would mean that receivers would need updating.

It is more likely a sign that there will be some work happening, and Sirius wants Ford to know about it so that they can respond to inquiries with the correct information. The updates, and informing users of the updates is a responsible course of action.

Interoperable? IMO no. Prudent preparation? IMO yes.

OTOH, It would be neither prudent nor cost effective to make changes now that would be nullified by a merger denial. Somebody at SIRI (maybe its just ol' Mel) is positive about gaining merger approval soon. There is absolutely no need for new channel slots (in particular) and the requisite receiver updating without the merger.

Page 1 of 3 123