07-21-2011, 12:39 PM #1

Sirius Radio Tuner Question

I have had a Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner in my car for about 6 years. I am now selling the car. My first thought was that I need to take this tuner out of the car so that I can put it in whichever car I buy next.

The tuner is a "SIR-PNR2" model. I don't even know if they are still made or sold. But my question is, can this model even be used in another vehicle? It appears this model may have been geared toward Pioneer radios, which is the aftermarket radio in my car. The chances of a Pioneer radio being in my next car are very slim. So would I still be able to use it with any radio in a different car?

If anyone knows the answer and can help me out it would be much appreciated. If I need to remove this tuner than I need to do it soon. And then I hope I can remember how to connect the radio back the correct way.

Or it may be that it isn't even worth it to remove it, that I could get a replacement tuner for a new vehicle for $50 or so. I have no idea, I haven't looked into that, but that would be helpful to know as well if someone knows the answer to that.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Head Honcho
    07-21-2011, 01:56 PM #2
    As far as I know, that model is designed to only be compatible with Pioneer head units.

Even used tuners are very expensive. Your tuner goes for $80-$100 on ebay. New tuners could be as much as $300+ depending on the make/model.

Why not take both the tuner and the head unit out of the car? Maybe this isn't exactly worth the cost for you but, I drive jeeps and I can have the whole stereo system swapped out in about an hour. I always keep the old head unit, speakers, and wiring for a quick change.

You have a couple of options...
    1. Strip out the tuner and pioneer head unit and use it in your next car.
    2. Keep the tuner and buy a new pioneer head unit for your next car.
    3. Just let it go.

It really all depends on what your next car might be. Might it have factory satellite radio? If so, you don't need any of this stuff.

One last question, is there lifetime sub on that tuner? If so, grab it. There is a $75 fee to transfer your sub to a new unit.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

07-21-2011, 02:13 PM #3
    Thanks so much for the help.

If they sell that much on ebay, I will take it out.

I already have an offer on the car so I will check with them to see if replacing the radio would make a difference....although it shouldn't much matter. I do have the old unit I believe, so that would be possible.

But there seems to be more reason to take it out than to leave it in. I don't even know if it will be used if it is left in. Even if I don't use it again it appears it can be sold rather easily.

There is not a lifetime subscription on the tuner. But $75 to transfer the subscription? Isn't that a little much for typing in some numbers and re-sending a signal (unless there is a lot more to it than I am aware of)?

Thanks again for the help!

Head Honcho
    07-21-2011, 02:35 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DaWolfeman View Post
    But $75 to transfer the subscription? Isn't that a little much...
    YES!

Quote Originally Posted by DaWolfeman View Post
    Thanks again for the help!
    No problem. Glad I could help.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder