Page 1 of 5 123 ...
    Addict
    06-17-2011, 08:51 PM #1

Internet radio has no barrier to entry

"If anyone wants to debate about the barriers to entry for a viable Internet radio company being non-existant they will lose and lose in a BIG way."

This is quite literally the dumbest statement I have ever read, and makes me question any opinion you have. Anybody, and I mean anybody can broadcast on the internet for nothing, including YOU on Blog Talk Radio and any infant can program their own music station to the world on Live 365. There have been several guests who have told you on the radio shows you hosted with Demian that there is no barrier to entry. Mel has stated this since internet radio began. In my opinion your knowledge of the radio industry is basically non-existent Spencer. Honestly.

Addict
    06-17-2011, 09:15 PM #2
    If anybody thinks there will be just a few internet radio companies and the barrier to entry is high I have a simple proof that you are wrong. Go to Google type in internet radio stations, then scroll through the pages and pages and pages of what is currently available on net. You will be startled.

Addict
    06-17-2011, 11:12 PM #3
    I am trying to read the whole encyclopedia post but quite honestly every time I get to terrestrial being a threat to satellite I click the minimize page button. What planet are you from Spencer? Which radio business had 100% car penetration for decades before Sirius ever existed. A threat to Sirius? I can't read this. I really can't. It's almost like listening to the radio show. It's beyond belief.

Addict
    06-19-2011, 03:01 PM #4
    No barrier to entry destroys business models. Here is a simple explanation for those that can't comprehend this concept
    http://messageboards.aol.com/aol/en_...Unhidden=false

Head Honcho
    06-20-2011, 02:19 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSCLE13 View Post
    This is quite literally the dumbest statement I have ever read, and makes me question any opinion you have. Anybody, and I mean anybody can broadcast on the internet for nothing, including YOU on Blog Talk Radio and any infant can program their own music station to the world on Live 365.
    Anyone can do it, not everyone can make it compelling enough to listen to. The barrier to create quality programming that people actually listen to is very high. Good content is expensive but, you already know that, you just like to argue.

I'm going to go ahead and change the title of this post to more accurately reflect the content.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Addict
    06-20-2011, 07:12 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    Anyone can do it, not everyone can make it compelling enough to listen to. The barrier to create quality programming that people actually listen to is very high. Good content is expensive but, you already know that, you just like to argue.

I'm going to go ahead and change the title of this post to more accurately reflect the content.
    Exactly, and Pandora owns no content.

Head Honcho
    06-20-2011, 11:39 PM #7
    They don't own it but, they do have good deals in place to broadcast music at a reasonable rate (better than sirius xm's). Those deals are a barrier to entry. Getting the rights to broadcast music is a chore for these radio companies (and video companies like Netflix). Point being, not everyone can do it... there is a barrier and it's expensive.

The web based interfaces, apps, employees, server farms, CDN's are also all very expensive.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Addict
    06-21-2011, 07:47 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    They don't own it but, they do have good deals in place to broadcast music at a reasonable rate (better than sirius xm's). Those deals are a barrier to entry. Getting the rights to broadcast music is a chore for these radio companies (and video companies like Netflix). Point being, not everyone can do it... there is a barrier and it's expensive.

The web based interfaces, apps, employees, server farms, CDN's are also all very expensive.
    There is absolutely no barrier to entry to broadcast a talk show to the world on BlogTalk radio. For free. You all know that. There is absolutely no barrier to entry to broadcast to the world any type of radio music genre you want on Live365 for free. Any infant can do it. These are 2 examples of thousands of internet radio ventures.

Here is an opinion on Pandora's great deal from someone with credible experience in the media industry

Viewpoint: "Pandora Business Model is Suicide Pact"
    http://www.radioink.com/Article.asp?...096&spid=24698

Addict
    06-21-2011, 09:06 PM #9
    Turntable.fm- risk to Pandora

http://messageboards.aol.com/aol/en_...Unhidden=false

I suppose 1 year from now when Pandora starts floundering, I will read about how Sirius should start a DJ social web site. There is just no barrier to entry.

Head Honcho
    06-22-2011, 12:26 PM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSCLE13 View Post
    There is absolutely no barrier to entry to broadcast a talk show to the world on BlogTalk radio. For free. You all know that. There is absolutely no barrier to entry to broadcast to the world any type of radio music genre you want on Live365 for free. Any infant can do it. These are 2 examples of thousands of internet radio ventures.
    Agreed but... so what? No one (relatively) listens to Blogtalkradio. Again, there is a huge barrier to create something worth listening to.

There is zero barrier for me to create a search engine. ZERO. Competing with Google and Bing is another story. Barrier to entry is a red herring. The real issue is cost to compete.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Page 1 of 5 123 ...