Page 4 of 5 ... 2345
    Addict
    06-27-2011, 06:51 PM #31
    Turntable entered the space with no deal with the labels.

It's marketing seems viral. I haven't seen any ads since it launched have you? Seems like a little company like Google got pretty popular with no ad budget a while back.

From what I have read Turntable is going at this with a shoestring budget.

They have caught the internets attention though. There is no barrier. They have already entered. Anybody can.

Enthusiast
    06-27-2011, 08:10 PM #32
    It is ironic.....I have 750 friends on facebook, and not one of them has a turntable account. Because of this I can not even try it out. How big can it be if none of the 750 people on my friend list have been compelled to try it?

Another item.....

You ask if I know better than Mel, et al.... In some ways I do....That does not mean that I can run the company....it is just that I have a pretty good perspective on things.

1. I was calling for more Slacker and Pandora-like features years ago....satellite radio 2.0 will finally deliver it.

2. I said years ago that Sirius XM could use the Internet side of their business to have additional channels not available on satellite. The company is doing that.

3. I said long ago that Sirius XM was lacking in the Latino market. Behold....a suite ogf Latin channels is on the way.

4. I said long ago that Sirius XM should become more active on facebook....They finally have done that...Imagine if they had developed a viral campaign on the medium. You Poo-pooed the idea a while back, now you are crediting Turntable with some sort of brilliance.

5. I said Sirius XM should become more active on Twitter. Look what they have now done.

6. Long ago I said that Jay Thomas would be a great Friday morning show on the stern channels. Look what happened.

I get that Karmazin has a long history and a proven track record with radio, but he is no god. There will be a day when someone out there puts him to shame with what they do in radio.

Addict
    06-27-2011, 08:35 PM #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Osborne View Post
    It is ironic.....I have 750 friends on facebook, and not one of them has a turntable account. Because of this I can not even try it out. How big can it be if none of the 750 people on my friend list have been compelled to try it?

Another item.....

You ask if I know better than Mel, et al.... In some ways I do....That does not mean that I can run the company....it is just that I have a pretty good perspective on things.

1. I was calling for more Slacker and Pandora-like features years ago....satellite radio 2.0 will finally deliver it.

2. I said years ago that Sirius XM could use the Internet side of their business to have additional channels not available on satellite. The company is doing that.

3. I said long ago that Sirius XM was lacking in the Latino market. Behold....a suite ogf Latin channels is on the way.

4. I said long ago that Sirius XM should become more active on facebook....They finally have done that...Imagine if they had developed a viral campaign on the medium. You Poo-pooed the idea a while back, now you are crediting Turntable with some sort of brilliance.

5. I said Sirius XM should become more active on Twitter. Look what they have now done.

6. Long ago I said that Jay Thomas would be a great Friday morning show on the stern channels. Look what happened.

I get that Karmazin has a long history and a proven track record with radio, but he is no god. There will be a day when someone out there puts him to shame with what they do in radio.
    Turntable.fm has been out there for 1 month with 140,000 people signed up thus far. They are nascent. In fact I think they are trying to keep people from trampling over the site. There are countless articles about them from the press and they have caught a Wall Street analyst attention too. Can they beat Pandora? Absolutely they can. Anybody with a great idea can do it because there is no barrier. Will they be the be all and end all after Pandora fades?. Of course not. There are a million others coming.

Thank you for telling me you think you know better than Mel. I suspected you thought so. Good to know. I appreciate the honesty. I think you were the one telling me that Sirius should get into Beezid auction site. I may be wrong. It could have been somebody else. I kind of laughed off the comment back then as nonsense , but I should have known where this was all heading when a radio investor says something that. Good luck to you.

Head Honcho
    06-27-2011, 09:11 PM #34
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSCLE13 View Post
    In fact I think they are trying to keep people from trampling over the site.
    1. Why? They can't afford the servers? How can that be? There is no barrier. To limit your traffic because you can't handle it is the worst move you can make as a company.

2. I have never heard of this service.

3. I can't signup either.

Thank you for telling me you think you know better than Mel. I suspected you thought so. Good to know. I appreciate the honesty.
    Mel is oldschool and if Mel has half a brain, he has hired people around him to call the shots and keep the company relevant. That said, I don't think he has done that great of a job at that (because they are very slow to react).

Being smarter than a dinosaur isn't all that hard to do, nor is it something to brag about. You think Mel Karmazin thought the company should increase it's facebook/twitter presence? You think he knew the ins and outs of iPhone apps? Someone is smarter than Mel. Not everything that company does is a direct result of Mel Karmazin's smarts.

I understand that you are a fan of these "Gods of Radio" but to think that they are not fallible, like the rest of us humans, is a dangerous place to live. Mel COULD be wrong.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Addict
    06-27-2011, 09:24 PM #35
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    1. Why? They can't afford the servers? How can that be? There is no barrier. To limit your traffic because you can't handle it is the worst move you can make as a company.

2. I have never heard of this service.

3. I can't signup either.

Mel is oldschool and if Mel has half a brain, he has hired people around him to call the shots and keep the company relevant. That said, I don't think he has done that great of a job at that (because they are very slow to react).

Being smarter than a dinosaur isn't all that hard to do, nor is it something to brag about. You think Mel Karmazin thought the company should increase it's facebook/twitter presence? You think he knew the ins and outs of iPhone apps? Someone is smarter than Mel. Not everything that company does is a direct result of Mel Karmazin's smarts.

I understand that you are a fan of these "Gods of Radio" but to think that they are not fallible, like the rest of us humans, is a dangerous place to live. Mel COULD be wrong.
    Charles - When an individual investor that started with practically nothing makes well in excess of half a million dollars just from investing in Mel's radio companies over the years, you tend to take bloggers thoughts on radio with a grain of salt. Best of luck to you as well. I tend to trust Mel.
    Last edited by MUSCLE13; 06-27-2011 at 09:26 PM.

Addict
    06-27-2011, 09:44 PM #36
    By the way I met Spencer for lunch a couple of weeks back. I was perfectly willing to hear his thoughts. I couldn't disagree with him more. Honestly. I truly believe that the future will prove his internet radio thoughts to be completely incorrect.
    Last edited by MUSCLE13; 06-27-2011 at 09:47 PM.

Head Honcho
    06-27-2011, 09:45 PM #37
    Again you deflect.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Addict
    06-28-2011, 12:21 AM #38
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    Again you deflect.

Turntable.fm already entered. There was no barrier to entry. They entered without a deal with the labels. They entered without a big marketing spend and they entered with a shoe string budget.

If they get big investment now it is after entry.

Wired Mag - Turntable.fm’s design and features are already so powerful that, as one industry insider recently observed to Evolver.fm: “Pandora should take all that money they just got and buy Turntable.fm.

All I can say is I am personally looking forward to the next one million internet radio ideas.

Enthusiast
    06-30-2011, 02:42 PM #39
    Turntable.fm has been out there for 1 month with 140,000 people signed up thus far. They are nascent. In fact I think they are trying to keep people from trampling over the site. There are countless articles about them from the press and they have caught a Wall Street analyst attention too. Can they beat Pandora? Absolutely they can. Anybody with a great idea can do it because there is no barrier. Will they be the be all and end all after Pandora fades?. Of course not. There are a million others coming.

Thank you for telling me you think you know better than Mel. I suspected you thought so. Good to know. I appreciate the honesty. I think you were the one telling me that Sirius should get into Beezid auction site. I may be wrong. It could have been somebody else. I kind of laughed off the comment back then as nonsense , but I should have known where this was all heading when a radio investor says something that. Good luck to you.
    I am not saying that I am better than Mel., That would be you putting words into my mouth. What I am saying is that the world does not revolve around Mel, and that it is possible for other people to have good ideas. That is a distinct separation. There are many things that Mel is better at than me. There are many things that I am better at than Mel. This is not a pissing contest though. The only point I am making is that many things that you were critical of Charles and I bringing up long ago are now being done by Mel. You criticize us for the idea, but when Mel finally implements it it is wonderful. I get it....in your mind we should sit back and wait for Mel to get around to these things.

Heres another one....Customer service is very poor for Sirius XM. Shouyld we say it, or bury our heads in the sand and assume Mel must have poor customer service because it is a good thing?

Beezid....nope, not me...I have talked about them advertising on Sirius XM, but that's about it.

Head Honcho
    06-30-2011, 02:54 PM #40
    Their customer service is laughable. It absolutely blows my mind. I can't believe how many customers Sirius XM has and it only makes me mad that they could already have twice as many subscribers if they did the things even fairly rather than poorly... nevermind if they did it well. I hate that I even came back to read this thread... now I am frustrated again.

Why do you make me hate you, when all I want to do is love you Sirius XM?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Page 4 of 5 ... 2345