Banned
    07-08-2008, 02:49 PM #1

Another e-mail leading to the same conclusion..

Another e-mail just hit. This one from a group of public radio organizations to Kevin Martin pleading one last time... in fact, this one asks for a seperate fcc rulemaking after the merger is approved, to determine who gets revenue from the content....

"the details of the management set-aside, including what content providers are eligible and the compensation options for the content provided, should be outlined in SEPERATE fcc rulemaking, with a comment period of 6 months to 1 year."

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/r...ent=6520033452

07-08-2008, 03:07 PM #2
    I'm confused.

This "compensation options" talk has me confused. Are they referring to the lease paid to satellite radio? Or are they expecting some kind of revenue share from the combined company? Regarding the proposed set aside:

• Is it leased ownership of the spectrum, or just the rights to broadcast their own content on that portion of satellite radio's spectrum?
    • Is it going to be leased or simply divested? If leased at what rate? Who decides?
    • What is the process to decide who gets to use it?

This letter makes it seem like this programming would not be it's own satellite company, and its result of operations would just be consolidated into XMSIRI? And now they want to deliberate how a portion of that revenue would flow back to these outside entities?

I also like how they reference the 20 percent required of FM, use that as justification for requiring it of satellite radio, but then have the stones to tack on 5 percent after drawing a direct comparison to a smaller number.
    Last edited by zcurzan; 07-08-2008 at 09:54 PM.

Banned
    07-08-2008, 04:27 PM #3
    I like how they ask for protection from retribution. They are asking that the FCC make it a condition that sirius and xm don't dump their current programming and deals...too funny!

They should have thought about that a long time ago...If we are mandated to give them something, we sure as hell ought to dump anything we've offered for free. Don't bite the hand that feeds you!

Mentor
    07-08-2008, 09:52 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by zcurzan
    I also like how they reference the 20 percent required of FM, use that as justification for requiring it of satellite radio, but then have the stones to tack of 5 percent after drawing a direct comparison to a smaller number.
    No, the part of this that I love is how they reference the 20 percent setaside from FM, but fail to mention that NOBODY IS ACTUALLY BROADCASTING IN THAT SPECTRUM. When was the last time any of you listened to the FM band 85-91 I think it is?

Ok... Sirius/XM will set aside their 8%... and then leave it dead air and not broadcast anything, just like Terrestrial is doing. THAT is what is "good for the people" after all.

Enthusiast
    07-08-2008, 10:04 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    No, the part of this that I love is how they reference the 20 percent setaside from FM, but fail to mention that NOBODY IS ACTUALLY BROADCASTING IN THAT SPECTRUM. When was the last time any of you listened to the FM band 85-91 I think it is?

Ok... Sirius/XM will set aside their 8%... and then leave it dead air and not broadcast anything, just like Terrestrial is doing. THAT is what is "good for the people" after all.
    That would be such epic win right there.

Banned
    07-08-2008, 10:33 PM #6
    I had posted this a few days ago...worth repeating...

Basically, this is not just a hijacking attempt of spectrum, it's a hijacking attempt of the company itself. Keep in mind that before long every car and truck built and sold in America, will have a satellite radio receiver. Georgetowns proposal is an attempt to steal every person in the United States from the sirius customer base, as well as gain for themselves all of the former subscribers.

If they get their way, they will be able to offer free, albeit ad supported radio to everyone in the US on the Sirius network over 60 channels on Sirius and xm radios. This will insure a loss of subscribers for Sirius, and quite probably destroy the company.

Imagine if you could get 60 free movie channels on cable or satellite TV. Who would pay for the rest? If you don't pay your cable bill, you get NO tv. Georgetown's plan would reward listeners who cancel their service or don't pay their bill.

Now to the mix, Georgetown wants to add free latino programming to further weaken sirius' business model? I don't think so. Georgetown and co. need to be dismissed. The only potential customers to Georgetown are going to be current members that make up the NAB. They are trying to turn Sirius into fm radio....and using minority claims as the basis.

07-08-2008, 10:52 PM #7
    Regular TV is dead, and basic cable has become a "necessity" in American culture. If you are under 50-60 years old, I think basic cable is the bottom tier. For all intents and purposes, that is your FM radio.

You can get you basic cable for a pretty nominal fee. Get some local sports games, get some important games, get your local news, etc. But satellite radio is the NFL Sunday ticket, the HBO, the Showtime, etc. Premium, exclusive programming, with no advertisements, and limited censorship.

The question is how many people do you know who opt for the premium movie channels with their cable package, without a second thought as to the added cost to them? Hell, I know people who subscribe to them and barely watch them, just because it has become so commonplace. "What do you mean you don't get HBO?"