Legend
    04-29-2011, 09:18 AM #1

Dear Deniers.

Succinctly and to the point.

Eugene Robinson:

"To those deniers who can’t come to terms with the fact of the Obama presidency, I have nothing to offer but this: Yes, he’s smarter, richer, luckier and better looking than you, and he’s your president. Yours, mine and ours. And he’s black. Get over it."

Guru
    04-29-2011, 10:18 AM #2
    Well look who showed up, Lloyd himself!!

So what's the point of this? It seems as if race is being injected into the conversation???

Legend
    04-29-2011, 12:09 PM #3
    That was funny.
    Ummmm i think race was injected into this subject a LOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG time ago.
    That was the whole point of the quote. Once again. "Get over it".

Legend
    04-29-2011, 01:28 PM #4
    Bob Schieffer happens to be friends of the Bush family and a veteran newscaster. He is hardly a liberal.

Schieffer: Racism underlying Trump's assertions

Donald Trump has moved on from the "birther" conspiracy to allege President Barack Obama didn't get good enough grades to warrant entry to Harvard Law School, an assertion that CBS News chief Washington correspondent Bob Schieffer called absurd on the "CBS Evening News" on Wednesday.

"That's just code for saying he got into law school because he's black. This is an ugly strain of racism that's running through this whole thing. We can hope that kind of comes to an end too, but we'll have to see," Schieffer said.

Trump first raised the issue on Monday with the Associated Press, saying: "I heard he was a terrible student, terrible. How does a bad student go to Columbia and then to Harvard? I'm thinking about it, I'm certainly looking into it. Let him show his records."

As Trump gloats, Obama calls out "carnival barkers"
    Obama birth certificate release won't kill "birther" movement
    In a press conference Wednesday after arriving in the important primary state of New Hampshire, the potential candidate for the 2012 GOP nomination continued to pound on the issue, saying: "The word is, according to what I've have read, is that he was a terrible student when he went to Occidental. He then gets to Columbia and then gets to Harvard. I heard at Columbia he was not a very good student, and then he then he gets into Harvard. How do you get into Harvard if you are not a good student? Maybe that's right, maybe that's wrong, but I don't know why he doesn't he release his records. Why doesn't he release his Occidental records?"

Trump explained the source of his concerns about Mr. Obama's undergraduate education performance. "I am just reporting what I read. Hey, I read stuff that you people write," Trump said in response to a question from a reporter at his press conference on whether he was using innuendo as opposed to facts to attack Mr. Obama.

Trump had said earlier that he raised the "bad grades" question because he had friends with smart kids who couldn't get into Harvard.

Mr. Obama received an undergraduate degree from Columbia University in 1983. (He transferred from Occidental College in 1981.) He then got his Juris doctorate from Harvard Law School, where he graduated magna cum laude in 1991.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...#ixzz1KvyZIDh8
    Last edited by Havakasha; 04-29-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Guru
    04-29-2011, 02:48 PM #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    That was funny.
    Ummmm i think race was injected into this subject a LOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG time ago.
    That was the whole point of the quote. Once again. "Get over it".
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Zip, Zero, Nada..........

In fact, I had to look up "Denier" as I thought it was a textile term. Found this.

The Deniers is a 2008 book by Lawrence Solomon, a Canadian environmentalist and writer. Subtitled "The world-renowned scientists who stood up against global warming hysteria, political persecution, and fraud,".....

So I'm here I am trying to understand what relevance any of this has to climate change.............

I'm displeased that you seem to find the issue of racism as "funny".
    Last edited by SiriuslyLong; 04-29-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Guru
    04-29-2011, 03:21 PM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Bob Schieffer happens to be friends of the Bush family and a veteran newscaster. He is hardly a liberal.

Schieffer: Racism underlying Trump's assertions

Donald Trump has moved on from the "birther" conspiracy to allege President Barack Obama didn't get good enough grades to warrant entry to Harvard Law School, an assertion that CBS News chief Washington correspondent Bob Schieffer called absurd on the "CBS Evening News" on Wednesday.

"That's just code for saying he got into law school because he's black. This is an ugly strain of racism that's running through this whole thing. We can hope that kind of comes to an end too, but we'll have to see," Schieffer said.

Trump first raised the issue on Monday with the Associated Press, saying: "I heard he was a terrible student, terrible. How does a bad student go to Columbia and then to Harvard? I'm thinking about it, I'm certainly looking into it. Let him show his records."

As Trump gloats, Obama calls out "carnival barkers"
    Obama birth certificate release won't kill "birther" movement
    In a press conference Wednesday after arriving in the important primary state of New Hampshire, the potential candidate for the 2012 GOP nomination continued to pound on the issue, saying: "The word is, according to what I've have read, is that he was a terrible student when he went to Occidental. He then gets to Columbia and then gets to Harvard. I heard at Columbia he was not a very good student, and then he then he gets into Harvard. How do you get into Harvard if you are not a good student? Maybe that's right, maybe that's wrong, but I don't know why he doesn't he release his records. Why doesn't he release his Occidental records?"

Trump explained the source of his concerns about Mr. Obama's undergraduate education performance. "I am just reporting what I read. Hey, I read stuff that you people write," Trump said in response to a question from a reporter at his press conference on whether he was using innuendo as opposed to facts to attack Mr. Obama.

Trump had said earlier that he raised the "bad grades" question because he had friends with smart kids who couldn't get into Harvard.

Mr. Obama received an undergraduate degree from Columbia University in 1983. (He transferred from Occidental College in 1981.) He then got his Juris doctorate from Harvard Law School, where he graduated magna cum laude in 1991.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...#ixzz1KvyZIDh8
    Ahhhh, so this is about Trump? Whatever.

Legend
    04-30-2011, 12:29 AM #7
    http://www.theroot.com/views/being-p...nt-while-black

Given all that yakkety-yak about the emergence of a new era of postracial politics, you might have hoped that by now, even the looniest of ultraconservatives might have figured out a way to criticize Barack Obama without sounding like howling race-baiters. Keep hoping.

Conservative dependency on racial resentments is so deeply ingrained that even phony members of the lunatic fringe, such as Donald Trump, can't resist the temptation. Like junkies, they're hooked.

Trump -- who has thrown far more campaign contributions to Democrats than to Republicans over the years -- is only pretending to be a right-wing Republican aspirant for the presidency. The fact that he has risen to the top of the polls among GOP voters by playing the race card reminds us that we're still stuck in the muck.

The racial subtext of Trump's much ballyhooed investigation of Obama's birth certificate (on which I'd wager he never actually spent a dime) was obvious from the start. His subsequent smear of Obama's supposedly substandard academic performance in college and at Harvard Law School is equally low.

Trump, who boasts about his good relations with "the blacks" as he boasts about everything else, is trying to insinuate that Obama is a product of affirmative action -- or, to put it more bluntly, that Obama is a stupid Negro who took the place of a better-qualified white person like himself.

In reaction, even straitlaced white newsmen like CBS's Bob Schieffer have thrown aside their objectivity to publicly denounce the "ugly strain of racism" in Trump's campaign.

Republicans, of course, don't have a complete monopoly on this noxious habit. But since 1964 -- when Barry Goldwater urged Republicans to "go hunting where the ducks are" by opposing civil rights legislation -- the GOP has been cornering the market on race-baiting. Every successful Republican nominee since then, with the sole exception of George W. Bush, has sailed into the White House on a tide of racial resentment. It has become such a habit that Republicans just can't kick it, even when their wiliest strategists, like Karl Rove, try to persuade them to go cold turkey.