Page 1 of 12 12311 ...
    04-01-2011, 07:52 AM #1

Sirius April 2011 thread

Good Morning Friends

The March thread was so entertaining and informative, except for the gratuitous Vanna White pictures that is. Myself, I think cute furry animal pictures would have sufficed but that's just me. Perhaps SRK will take that into account with his next contest. There are two sexes that frequent this board and his one sided pandering I consider to be totally unacceptable. Something for him to consider. If I in my many weather posts, decided to include a half naked, tanned, muscular, let's say Daniel Craig type, wouldn't that cheapen my message? It would. Would I be taken seriously as a moderator? I would not.
    Although I have yet to receive a pm, I am sure I speak for others in saying, hopefully you have learned from your past mistakes and April will prove to be a new start toward resolving your obvious pubescent issues.

Now on to April!!!
    Last edited by SiriMonkey; 01-31-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Guru
    04-01-2011, 08:36 AM #2
    Pubescent? I am so put off

After month's of discourse with Atypical and Havakasha, I hereby declare myself a liberal. I see the light. They've successfully convinced me that the liberal agenda is the correct agenda for all Americans.

Jobs report comes out today; like in a couple minutes. SIRI is up 2 in premarket. Maybe it can recoup some more of yesterday's losses.

Guru
    04-01-2011, 09:32 AM #3
    Another "negative" piece.

I wonder if the NAB has any hand in the class action lawsuit.

http://everythinggold.blogspot.com/2...ri-doomed.html

Legend
    04-01-2011, 09:55 AM #4
    Unemployment is down to 8.8% and private job growth at 230,000. Its a good start.
    Now Auto #'s have to follow those positive #'s, and maybe SXM can shake off some of the negative news (lawsuits, and Japan auto
    supply disruption) Its not going to be an easy climb in my opinion.

Mentor
    04-01-2011, 11:02 AM #5
    Apr 7, 2010 0.88 0.96 0.87 0.95 609,834,416

Capital gains and losses are classified as long-term or short-term. If you hold the asset for more than one year before you dispose of it, your capital gain or loss is long-term. If you hold it one year or less, your capital gain or loss is short-term. To determine how long you held the investment property, begin counting on the date after the day you acquired the property. The day you disposed of the property is part of your holding period.
    http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc409.html

Mentor
    04-01-2011, 11:04 AM #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyLong View Post
    Another "negative" piece.

I wonder if the NAB has any hand in the class action lawsuit.

http://everythinggold.blogspot.com/2...ri-doomed.html
    good morning SL . . . you just have to put that article in proper context . . . its an April Fool Joke . . .

Guru
    04-01-2011, 11:07 AM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Unemployment is down to 8.8% and private job growth at 230,000. Its a good start.
    Recall that I shared with you that the corporation I work for has hired like crazy. In fact, it is a good time to be looking for work. Pay is still being lowballed, but that will come up. My direct manager shared with me that professional unemployment is actually quite low; whereas "non professional" unemployment is quite high. We need manufacturing jobs to return.

I agree, at the moment, it isn't going to be easy. Mel will "tell all" in ~45 days.

Legend
    04-01-2011, 11:11 AM #8
    Did you say manufacturing?

Manufacturing in U.S. Expands at Close to Seven-Year High
    By Shobhana Chandra - Apr 1, 2011 10:49 AM ET

A Boeing 777 jet for Qatar Airways sits on the assembly line at the company's manufacturing facility in Everett, Washington. Photographer: Ron Wurzer/Boomberg

Manufacturing in the U.S. expanded in March at close to the fastest pace in almost seven years, reinforcing signs the industry will propel growth in the world’s largest economy.

The Institute for Supply Management’s manufacturing index was little changed at 61.2, after February’s 61.4 reading that was the highest since May 2004, the Tempe, Arizona-based group’s report showed today. Figures greater than 50 signal expansion.

Companies like Caterpillar Inc. (CAT) and United Technologies Corp. (UTX) are benefiting as production, fueled by inventory rebuilding at the start of the recovery, gets an added boost from rising demand in the U.S. and overseas. The strength in manufacturing is also generating job gains, a necessary ingredient to a sustained expansion.

“Manufacturing is doing very well,” said Nigel Gault, chief U.S. economist at IHS Global Insight Inc. in Lexington, Massachusetts. “It’s the leading sector in the economy.”

Stocks extended gains after the figures, with the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index rising 0.7 percent to 1,334.69 at 10:47 a.m. in New York. Treasuries were little changed from late yesterday, with the yield on the benchmark 10-year note at 3.47 percent.

The median forecast of 79 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News was 61.1. Estimates ranged from 59 to 63.

A gauge of factories in the euro region dropped to 57.5 last month from February’s 59, London-based Markit Economics said. Manufacturing in China, India and Russia also expanded.

China Manufacturing

China’s manufacturing growth accelerated for the first time in four months with the index rising to 53.4 from 52.2, while India’s manufacturing grew for a 24th straight month and the index remained at 57.9. Russia’s factory output gauge increased to 55.6, the highest in almost five years, from 55.2.

Earlier, the Labor Department reported that the U.S. economy added 216,000 jobs in March, while the unemployment rate declined to 8.8 percent, signs the labor-market recovery is gathering speed.

The ISM’s production index increased to 69, the highest since January 2004, from 66.3. The new orders measure fell to 63.3 from 68, and the gauge of export orders decreased to 56 from 62.5.

The employment gauge slipped to 63 from 64.5 in the prior month.

The index of prices paid jumped to 85, the highest since July 2008, from 82. A measure of supplier deliveries increased to a one-year high of 63.1 in March, indicating longer lead times.

Order Backlogs

The measure of orders waiting to be filled fell to 52.5 from 59. The inventory index eased to 47.4 from 48.8, while a gauge of customer stockpiles was little changed at 39.5 from 40. A figure lower than 50 means manufacturers are reducing stockpiles.

Recent regional factory reports underscore the resilience of the manufacturing industry, which accounts for about 11 percent of the economy. The Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia’s index indicated factories expanded in March at the fastest pace since 1984, while the New York Fed’s measure rose to a nine-month high.

United Technologies, the maker of Pratt & Whitney jet- engines and Otis elevators, is among companies benefiting from growth in the so-called BRIC countries that include Brazil, Russia, India and China. The Hartford, Connecticut-based company in March boosted the low end of its 2011 earnings forecast amid improving markets across its divisions.

Peoria, Illinois-based Caterpillar, the world’s largest maker of construction equipment, is seeing a “slow, steady increase” in demand in North America, Chief Executive Officer Doug Oberhelman said at an industry conference on March 23. “Business is booming outside the U.S.,” Oberhelman said.

Auto dealers are also seeing improved demand. Car sales in February rose to a 13.38 million unit pace, the highest since the government’s cash-for-clunkers program in August 2009, according to industry data.

Mentor
    04-01-2011, 11:17 AM #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriuslyLong View Post
    SIRI is up 2 in premarket. Maybe it can recoup some more of yesterday's losses.
    It's fun to follow all of the day-to-day and intraday price swings and maybe even pull-off a swing-trade here and there, but Sirius XM is now a long term FCF story, with share buybacks looming in 2012, and all of the daily static we have been hearing recently does nothing to alter that . . . I would much rather own more shares today than I did yesterday and own more shares tomorrow than I do today.

As Archie Bunker once said "Patience is a Virgin"

Mentor
    04-01-2011, 11:39 AM #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Now Auto #'s have to follow those positive #'s, and maybe SXM can shake off some of the negative news (lawsuits, and Japan auto
    supply disruption) Its not going to be an easy climb in my opinion.
    Good Morning Lloyd - valiant effort yesterday on Wheel of Fortune. Never feel bad about losing to muscle, the guy is like a savant of radio. His father groomed him in the radio business before he could even walk, often calling out to his son "muscle my boy, come to ebitda-da!"

Page 1 of 12 12311 ...