Addict
    04-22-2011, 10:14 PM #1

Sirius XM 2.0 / Slacker

I was just wondering about Sirius developing 2.0 and if they should think about looking into taking out a competitor like Slacker instead of or in addition to their own internal platform.

I seem to recall Slacker at one time looking at leasing space sats from cell phone carriers to download updates to personal libraries and this could be a great fit for SXM.

They do have a pretty cool online application and devices that can really compliment SXM and cmpletely crush Pandora.

I have a gut feeling this is going to happen and it seems like a great fit.

Not sure what the cost would be, but do know it will likely go up after Pandora IPO's.

http://www.slacker.com/everywhere/

Thoughts ?

Enthusiast
    04-23-2011, 06:06 PM #2
    I have suggested this in the past here and have been met with "Why should they buy a Service, when they could make one on their own" and "It is not a profitable business model". Tiny Slacker beat Sirius XM to the market with apps for the iPhone and Blackberry. It took Sirius years to come out with an iPhone app.

I believe that the paid version of Slacker is superior to Siriius XM for music everyplace but in the car. Sirius is superior in the car since it comes on with the car and doesn't need updating. The iPhone and Blackberry apps allow caching so you don't need a constant data stream. Skipping songs is great. The sound quality of the Slacker app is superior to Sirius, both satellite and wi-fi

Quote Originally Posted by sxminvestor View Post
    I was just wondering about Sirius developing 2.0 and if they should think about looking into taking out a competitor like Slacker instead of or in addition to their own internal platform.

I seem to recall Slacker at one time looking at leasing space sats from cell phone carriers to download updates to personal libraries and this could be a great fit for SXM.

They do have a pretty cool online application and devices that can really compliment SXM and cmpletely crush Pandora.

I have a gut feeling this is going to happen and it seems like a great fit.

Not sure what the cost would be, but do know it will likely go up after Pandora IPO's.

http://www.slacker.com/everywhere/

Thoughts ?

Guru
    04-30-2011, 04:34 PM #3
    I prefer XM over any other possible service 100% of the time, and I've tried them all, for a week I used slacker after my online sub ran out but couldn't stand it for very long and paid XM what they deserve for their superb content.

4000 songs on an mp3 player are 4000 songs ive already heard.

I listen to Howard, but the important thing to me is the dj shows on HHN and Shade 45 and the ability to record on my xmp3 100 hours of content that I can listen to anywhere anytime, car, plane, work, biking etc.

Now I also use the phone quite a bit over my wifi with a high quality pair of in-ear-phones.

One thing I'd like to know is why the android app cuts out so often?