Legend
    10-31-2017, 04:53 PM #1

Six dead in Manhattan terror attack

Cars and trucks have become the terrorists' weapon of choice. Other than staying indoors, how can we protect ourselves from these kind of attacks?

Six dead in Manhattan terror attack
    The Associated Press, Oct 31 2017 4:34 PM

There are at least six fatalities this afternoon after a truck drove the wrong way for several blocks down the West Side Highway bike path near Stuyvesant High School in lower Manhattan, striking several people, according to sources at the New York Police Department who added that it appears to be deliberate act. The driver exited the vehicle with what appeared to be a gun and was shot by police. The individual is in police custody and is being taken to the hospital for treatment.

No others are being sought, the NYPD said. Police said to expect "many emergency personnel" in the area of Chambers Street and West Street on the lower west side of Manhattan. Police are considering terrorism as part of the investigation.

News footage showed crowds of spectators -- some capturing the scene with cellphone cameras -- gathered behind police lines. A white Home Depot truck with the front end smashed in was also visible. Parts of several mangled bicycles littered the popular bike path along the West Side Highway and the Hudson River, as medics tended to the wounded in the background.

"What I saw was that the driver, he didn't look like he was bleeding," said Ramon Cruz, a witness. "He was dragging his foot. He looks frustrated, panicked, confused. People are running past me, saying, 'He's got a gun. He's got a gun.' I didn't see any gun. It was a white pickup truck. He looked pretty bad without bleeding or anything like that. I didn't see him hit anybody. All I heard was the impact of a crash."

CNN's Jim Sciutto tweeted, "Latest on NYC: up to 6 dead, appears to be deliberate act, driver drove some 20 blocks down bike path - sources tell CNN."
    Last edited by Rewind; 10-31-2017 at 04:56 PM.

Legend
    10-31-2017, 04:57 PM #2
    Here is the story from the New York Post:

Bloodbath in downtown NYC after driver runs over pedestrians, starts shooting

http://nypost.com/2017/10/31/several...own-manhattan/

Legend
    10-31-2017, 05:45 PM #3
    The death toll is now eight. Witnesses told CNN the 29-year-old attacker kept shouting "Allahu Akbar!" ("God is great!") Another radical Islamic terrorist. Trump's Muslim travel ban proposals are pointless -- the terrorists are already here. Where will they strike next?

Legend
    10-31-2017, 11:16 PM #4
    The attacker has been identified as Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov of Uzbekistan. He's been in the US on a green card since 2010 -- and he pledged loyalty to ISIS. Lovely.

Legend
    11-01-2017, 01:40 PM #5
    There have been 17 vehicle ramming attacks in various countries in the past three years, killing 173 and injuring more than 700. Here are details of the Manhattan attack -- and the attacker:

New York truck attacker planned for weeks and carried out rampage in the name of ISIS, officials say

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new...D=ansmsnnews11

Legend
    11-01-2017, 05:36 PM #6
    Saipov had 90 ISIS videos on his cell phone. Some showed beheadings. Hundreds of people witnessed his attack -- but he's called only a "suspect." He's not a "suspect." He's a murderer and a terrorist. There, I said it.

Federal prosecutors in New York file terrorism charges against bike path attack suspect Sayfullo Saipov

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/f...-path-50870414

Legend
    11-01-2017, 09:53 PM #7
    ISIS-linked murder suspect nabbed at Port Authority Bus Terminal
    New York Daily News, Nov 1 2017 6:21 PM

Port Authority cops grabbed a murder suspect Wednesday with ties to ISIS at the Midtown bus terminal — less than a day after a lone-wolf terrorist mowed down 20 people in a lower Manhattan bike lane, killing eight. Cops spotted Matthew Passaro, 46, near a Greyhound Bus inside the massive transit hub about 11 AM, Port Authority spokesman Joe Pentangelo said. Passaro, who is homeless and has "pledged allegiance" to ISIS, had a loaded .45-caliber pistol when police recognized him as a suspect in the fatal September 20 shooting of a 47-year-old man in Brooklyn Heights. He was taken into custody and promptly threatened cops. "You’re lucky I didn’t shoot you," Passaro told the officers.

Passaro is also wanted for an attempted murder in Sacramento. He has ties to the Islamic State and has "had communication" with ISIS members, sources said. Passaro, who goes by the name Abu Bakar Hassain, frequented the Al-Farooq Mosque on Atlantic Avenue, a house of worship with ties to blind Sheik Muhammad Ali Hasan Al-Moayad, who was convicted of conspiracy in the 1993 World Trade Center bombings as well as a broader "war on urban terrorism." Passaro is accused of shooting and stabbing Steven Vargas at the corner of Atlantic and Fourth Avenues last month. Vargas died of his wounds at Brooklyn Hospital.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...inal/23263867/

Legend
    11-02-2017, 02:47 PM #8
    I agree with the President. Saipov should get the death penalty. But.......

Donald Trump's 'death penalty' tweets may help the New York terror suspect

http://www.time.com/5007303/new-york...-trump-tweets/