Legend
    04-07-2011, 09:30 AM #1

GE to Build Largest Solar Panel Factory in U.S.

Thats a little bit of good news.

GE To Build Largest Solar Panel Factory In U.S.
    Ge Solar Panel Factory

NEW YORK -- General Electric says it's going to build the nation's largest solar panel factory, part of a $600 million dollar bet on the future of solar power in the United States.

The new plant will employ 400 people and produce enough solar panels to power 80,000 homes per year, GE said Thursday. The company isn't saying where the plant will be located, but it does say that there are multiple locations being scouted. .

GE says its thin film solar panel has been certified as the most energy efficient of its kind by the National Renewable Energy Lab in Colorado. The technology for the panel, called CdTe thin film, lends itself to low-cost, large-scale manufacturing.

GE recently acquired PrimeStar Solar Inc. a maker of thin film solar panels based in Colorado.

Guru
    04-07-2011, 09:53 AM #2
    You scooped me. Look what is on my clip board - G.E. Plans to Build Largest Solar Panel Plant in U.S.

Don't believe me - G.E. Plans to Build Largest Solar Panel Plant in U.S. All I need do is hit CNTL V.

Now what is really interesting is the specific technology they are using CdTe. It's already a crowded market with the market leader First Solar using the same technology. Abound Solar might be looking at a difficult future. Recall that Obama gave them $400 MM of loan guarentees.

Legend
    04-07-2011, 10:01 AM #3
    I believe you.

What was your thesis based on your posts on evergreen solar?
    I think those loan quarantees could very well end being money well spent. We shall see.
    We need to head to energy independence with greater use of alternative energy.
    This will always be my mantra.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 04-07-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Guru
    04-07-2011, 10:36 AM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    I believe you.

What was your thesis based on your posts on evergreen solar?
    I think those loan quarantees could very well end being money well spent.
    We need to head to energy independence with greater use of alternative energy.
    This will always be my mantra.
    I wouldn't say I had a thesis per se. Evergreen is picking up and moving to China. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/15/bu...t/15solar.html

To your delight, they say there are two reasons. One, the Chinese government will give them money, and two, not to your delight, the labor is cheap.

What you need to worry about is Abound's ability to pay the loans back, or it won't be money well spent. This is a "talking point" of Obama's opponents - the selective use of Federal funds. It can be a gamble. Personally, the choice of Abound really should have been studied further. Why invest in a developed technology than can be produced more cheaply overseas? I think the future of thin film is CIGS - share the wealth, create a level playing field (ever heard of that?).

Legend
    04-07-2011, 11:07 AM #5
    I might be wrong but i thought you were saying that there was no real possiblity of a U.S. solar industry.

There are always risks in investment. I am sure they (obama) would argue they studied it well. Lets see what happens to this company down the line. Remember what people said about saving GM. Do you think that was worth the gamble?

I think the philosophy is that we have to compete against China. You cant just give up and give away the whole field of alternative energy to the Chinese. If we had listened to people like me we would have been far ahead of where we are in the field. Anyway.....

Guru
    04-07-2011, 11:15 AM #6
    Don't confuse manufacturing with technological development. In the former, obviously China rules the day with a low cost workforce, and a communist political system. I would argue that we remain at the forefront of innovation.

So be careful when you say "give away the whole field of alternative energy." There's a little nuance to consider.

Legend
    04-07-2011, 11:47 AM #7
    I completely understand the advantages China has and that is exactly what i have been arguing about for years. We needed to get a head start. We wasted a lot of time purely because of ideological oppostion and ignorance. I cant state that strongly enough.

Now if you are saying we cant manufacture the equipment and compete with the low cost of Chinese labor i completely understand.
    But GE is meking a bet they can make money in this field in this country and Lets see how that goes. And there are a bunch of new companies in this country that are setting up shop. With a little help (yes help just like oil companies get ) I believe we can still have a vibrant alternative energy field, although i am totally pessimistic on the Republicans ability to understand its importance or to support it. That is seriously tragic.