Page 2 of 3 123
    11-30-2011, 06:57 PM #11
    I have the Sirius lifetime membership since 2005 and I just sold my car that I hard-wired in a 3rd party Kenwood radio in so I went to Sirius.com to see what new radio I should get. I see that the XMp3i is the best option for me and end up buying it cheaper on Best Buy, and nothing on the box or Website says that I can't expect my membership to transfer over. This is bait and switch! This is a failure to live up to their obligations. I don't want to trade memberships with an XM subscriber because that just sounds like grounds for them to get out of their commitments. I want SiriusXM to stop making this our problem and internally make the transfer possible. What reason is there not to allow it? Paragraph 9 of the terms of service says: "Non Automotive Receivers: A Lifetime Subscription associated with a home, portable, or dock & play Receiver is transferable from one Receiver to another Receiver, up to a maximum of three (3) times." There is nothing in the terms that indicates that a Sirius lifetime subscription is not applicable for transfer to an XM device. And the only devices that Sirius can use are the antiquated Stratus 6 or Starmate 5? These radios are many years old, and what kind of equipment will we be made to use the next time we try and transfer our subscription? I've gone to the BBB and you all may wish to consider that option.

Head Honcho
    11-30-2011, 08:29 PM #12
    As much as I think they should allow transfers (and will in the future), their terms of service isn't misleading. It says you can take your Sirius subscription to a new receiver (true).

BTW, there are other new Sirius receivers including the Starmate 8 and Sportster 5.

I have heard recent rumors of people fighting through a couple of rounds of customer service reps ("please let me talk to your supervisor") and having their lifetime sub transferred from one service to the other. I would love for someone here to try it and report back. Making this info public would help a lot of people.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Guru
    11-30-2011, 08:30 PM #13
    Hi Ken - that sucks for sure. I was under the impression that the lifetime sub was for one radio, but that was before the merger. It sounds like the two operating companies, Sirius and XM are complicating things. In retrospect, you should have taken it out before selling the car (sorry, I know you didn't need to hear that - plus the new owner may be able to activate it for a great deal - sorry again).

In my experience, I've called in and complained (politely) and got some relief. If you have patience to try to speak your case to an Indian, give it a try. You get more bees with honey then you do with vinegar. Keep pressing, "anyone else I can talk to, I really love the service, but am dissappointed about the choices I have in this situation....?". From my experience, there appears to be some "tiers" regarding what they can concede in terms of making it right for you. Keep pressing.

Good Luck.

Guru
    11-30-2011, 08:31 PM #14
    I did not read Charles' post above before posting my own comments!!!!

Head Honcho
    11-30-2011, 08:34 PM #15
    Yeah, we were posting at the same time. It happens. I really hope they make switching services as easy as clicking a button for users in their online account management. It would be a huge win for company -- great PR.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

12-01-2011, 03:34 PM #16

Apparently, any new portable Sirius radio is compatible with Lifetime subscription

My BBB complaint got me a call from Sirius where they offered to swap me over to XM, but that it would likely invalidate my lifetime subscription after this most current radio died. Then she informed me that they may get the 3 time swap re-enabled but that Internet listening would certainly be lost. Then, after more discontentment on my part she said she'd write it in and do the best she could, and then somehow it came up that the lifetime could be transferred to any new Sirius radio, even the Starmate8! Geez! That's all she had to say! Those folks on the front line are so conditioned to push the old crap that they never thought to offer the fact that a brand new platform just came out and that I'd be happy to buy whatever they were selling as long as it wasn't 4 or 5 years old. Looks like I'm going to Best Buy after work.

Guru
    12-02-2011, 03:51 PM #17
    All's well that ends well.

02-15-2012, 07:20 PM #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    I purchased a lifetime Sirius subscription back in 2006. Yesterday I bought a car that has a factory installed XM radio in it. So I called customer service to have my account transferred to the new car, thinking it was all one company now it wouldn't be an issue. Well I was wrong. Apparently a Sirius Lifetime subscription cannot be transferred to an XM radio. Has anyone else been in this situation? Was there anything you said or did that allowed you to make the transfer? Any suggestions are very much appreciated.
    It my understanding Sirius never provided a lifetime subscription for a car radio. Sirius only gave lifetime sub to stand alone radios

Head Honcho
    02-15-2012, 08:55 PM #19
    As far as I know, lifetime subs can be applied to any kind of radio.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

02-23-2012, 12:59 AM #20
    Yes, Lifetime subscriptions can move to any portable or aftermarket radio (Sirius to Sirius and XM to XM) up to 3 times, if you pay the $75 transfer fee each time. It can also be transferred to a like (Sirius to Sirius and XM to XM) factory-installed car radio, also known as an OEM radio, one time only. Once the lifetime sub is transferred to a factory car radio it stays there. It can only be transferred out of the car to another car in case of an accident.

Page 2 of 3 123