Page 1 of 3 123
    03-29-2011, 09:56 AM #1

Traneferring a Lifetime Sirius Subscription to an XM Radio

I purchased a lifetime Sirius subscription back in 2006. Yesterday I bought a car that has a factory installed XM radio in it. So I called customer service to have my account transferred to the new car, thinking it was all one company now it wouldn't be an issue. Well I was wrong. Apparently a Sirius Lifetime subscription cannot be transferred to an XM radio. Has anyone else been in this situation? Was there anything you said or did that allowed you to make the transfer? Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Head Honcho
    03-29-2011, 11:27 AM #2
    I have not heard of anyone successfully transferring a lifetime form one company to the other since the merger. I'm not saying it can't possibly be done but, I have heard from a number of people who have tried and failed.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

03-29-2011, 04:07 PM #3
    Thank you for the quick response. And yes, I am not expecting to have much success in this battle with SiriusXM. I wonder if I could trade my Lifetime Sirius sub for a Lifetime XM sub with someone who may be in the reverse situation as me?

Head Honcho
    03-29-2011, 04:46 PM #4
    In an ideal situation, you would trade with a friend or someone you knew since the sub would have to stay tied to you and your personal information.

I'm not sure it would work if you couldn't get a hold of the person in the future. What if you wanted to transfer the sub to a new radio? You couldn't do it since the info would not be in your name.

Otherwise, its a great idea.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

04-04-2011, 02:05 AM #5
    Greg, i really hope this message finds you in time! (or for some other user).

i am actually in the exact reverse situation as you. i bought a lifetime XM subscription back in the 2006-ish timeframe, and my new car (an Audi) only has Sirius preinstalled.

i would be thrilled to trade subscriptions with you. there is a bit of red tape that needs to be cleared, though. as far as i understand, i think there are a lot of qualifications to the lifetime subscriptions. the following are off the top of my head, aand i think they are roughly the same for both XM and Sirius:

1) the subscription can only be transferred 2 or 3 times, each with a transfer fee of somewhere around $50.

2) if the subscription was made on a car factory-installed unit, the car MUST be sold for the subscription to be transferred. if it was on a third-party unit, it can be transferred at will.

so before we could make the transaction, we'd both need to be able to make those deals. on my end, i can make that deal because mine was a third party unit, and it has only been applied to that first radio, so there are extra transfers available.

please get back to me asap. i think i am of more use to you because xm lifetime subscriptions are RARE. they were only offered for about 2 months back when it looked like XM was about to go bankrupt, but I think sirius subscriptions have been on and off over the years. you can email me through the user panel.

09-12-2011, 11:46 PM #6
    Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat. Can we find honest people willing to trade a sirius lifetime subscription for an XM subscription?

09-12-2011, 11:52 PM #7
    itzcootz,

I also have a sirius lifetime subscription that I would like to trade for an XM lifetime subscription. I believe mine is a third party subscription, because the car didn't have a sirius radio with it.

09-25-2011, 06:42 PM #8
    I will trade you a Sirius lifetime.

11-14-2011, 03:26 PM #9
    I would like to trade my Sirius Lifetime Subscription with anyone that has and XM lifetime subscription.

11-30-2011, 02:16 AM #10
    i have an xm lifetime subscription on my 3rd party alpine radio that i am willing to trade. I recently purchased a new car which has siriusxm on it and am wondering if i would be able to get lifetime on this new radio.

Page 1 of 3 123