Page 6 of 21 ... 4567816 ...
    Mentor
    03-17-2011, 10:45 PM #51

SB Trivia

now be careful with this one . . quite a few of you were caught napping on the last trivia question; don't try and read anything into the question . . . just go with your gut instincts and do not try to apply central tendency theory (I know about that too). ok, here goes . . .

Which of the following is NOT a phrase recently used by Tyler Savery:

A.) Pumping Shit
    B.) Blowing Smoke
    C.) Pissing Up a Rope
    D.) Pulling out of Posterior
    E.) Separating Down to Gnat's Ass

Mentor
    03-17-2011, 11:20 PM #52

Group funded by uk govt board will launch apollo by next year

Yahoo, We7, the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB) and digital agency Somethin Else form a new consortium, funded with 1.8 million from the Technology Strategy Board which is in turn funded by the UK government. The goal of the consortium is reportedly to develop a cloud radio service codenamed Apollo which should be ready by next year.

There arent many details to go on yet, as PaidContent reports. The take-away for now is that some big names in online music have come together to create some sort of new service.

The focus for Apollo will be to develop next-generation personal radio and music services that can work across any Internet-connected device, such as mobiles, tablets and web TVs, the groups announcement states.

Beyond that, its yet to be seen what kind of service this will be, much less what its impact may be on UK and international online radio. Stay tuned.

UK service We7 announced late last year that it would move away from on-demand music and instead focus on Internet radio. Becoming the Pandora plus of the UK and Europe would be a great aspiration to have, We7s CEO said then.

Apollo would seem to be an enlargening of that idea, observes PaidContent

http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419...l-cloud-radio/

Mentor
    03-17-2011, 11:24 PM #53

Million-song dataset: take it, it's free

"Online music developers and Pandora and Last.fm lovers, take note. The next phase in research on how to deliver smart music delivery systems is underway, facilitated by a Million Song Dataset just released by The Echo Nest music application company."

http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2011...t-its-free.ars

Mentor
    03-17-2011, 11:31 PM #54

Proposed CPB De-funding Would Hurt HD Radio

Mar 16, 2011 11:27 AM, By Mark Krieger

" . . . populist outrage over burgeoning public debt suggests that the perennial proposal to eliminate all federal funding for public broadcasting may finally find its legs in the halls of Congress -- and that could well be causing some discomfort for those whose interests align with the advancement of HD Radio."

Mentor
    03-17-2011, 11:34 PM #55

Musicians group thanks White House for PRA support

The brief mention of a radio performance royalty in a White House intellectual property white paper earned kudos from musicFIRSTs Tom Matzzie. "We appreciate the Administration's support and look forward to the day when performers are fairly compensated."

http://www.rbr.com/radio/musicians-g...a-support.html

Guru
    03-18-2011, 12:26 PM #56
    E

C'mon to politics and general once in a while!

9 cent range today. Crazy, but if you're a trader, it may be interesting.

KI pills are being run on. Wow.

Mentor
    03-18-2011, 08:01 PM #57
    ok, I'm about to reveal the SB Trivia Question answer in the next post . . . so look away if you don't want to see the solution

Mentor
    03-18-2011, 08:46 PM #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Roadkill View Post
    Which of the following is NOT a phrase recently used by Tyler Savery:

A.) Pumping Shit
    B.) Blowing Smoke
    C.) Pissing Up a Rope
    D.) Pulling out of Posterior
    E.) Separating Down to Gnat's Ass
    The solution is "C.) Pissing Up a Rope" . . . Tyler has never used this phrase while acting in an official capacity as an Internet Radio Blogger.

Considering Tyler's proclivity toward employing scatological references whenever possible, I could see how many of you were led astray on this one and chose "E.) Separating Down to a Gnat's Ass" because it sort of doesn't involve the potential for expulsion of a bodily fluid . . . but he did in fact use this phrase.

Now I know "airman" will be along shortly requesting that I provide the citation and context for that quote, so here it is, in advance:

It occurred on March 9, 2011 during an episode of Sirius Buzz Radio.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/playgro...ble-march-2011

I suggest you zoom ahead to the 26:50 mark . . . that is where muscle13 begins his blistering cross-examination of Tyler Savery

Savery was in the witness box, looking rather pasty and wearing a crumpled purple shirt with an open, unironed, collar and kind of smirking at the jury (pictured below). It was steamy in the courtroom and little beads of sweat had already begun to form around Savery's temples as muscle13 stood to address the court:

muscle: good evening your honor, muscle13 on behalf of Sirius XM
    judge: thank you muscle, you may proceed . . but keep it tight
    muscle: thank you your honor. This shouldn’t take long

In contrast to Savery, muscle was nicely tanned, looking as fresh as a flower . . cool as a cucumber, smartly dressed in a crisp white shirt, freshly pressed-collar, red power tie and dark navy suit . . . as he began his cross, muscle paced back and forth like a cheetah eyeing its prey, firing off rapid fire questions

muscle: name 1 profitable internet radio company in 17 years . . . 17 years . . . name me just ONE!
    savery: (inaudible)
    muscle: what other radio companies besides Sirius XM do you follow
    savery: (silence)
    muscle: name me 1 other radio company you have EVER followed. Name me ONE!
    savery: (sweating more profusely now) I'll name three . . . ABC, CBS & NBC
    (jurors roll eyes . . audience erupts in laughter . . . judge threatens to clear courtroom)

sensing the time is right, muscle moves in for the kill. stepping up to the witness box and resting 1 foot on the small ledge, muscle leans in closely (getting right up in Savery's grill) and shouts

muscle: TELL ME THE EBITDA MARGIN!
    savery: (silence)
    muscle: TELL ME CLEAR CHANNEL'S EBITDA MARGIN ON THUMBPLAY!
    savery: (mopping brow - silence)
    muscle: YOU STILL HAVEN'T ANSWERED MY QUESTION! TELL ME THE EBITDA MARGIN ON INTERNET RADIO

and this is where Savery cracks, screaming . . .

savery: I DON'T F*CKING CARE IF CLEAR CHANNEL IS PROFITABLE. EVERYONE WANTS TO SEPARATE THIS THING DOWN TO THE GNAT'S ASS

seeing he had broken the witness . . .

muscle: I have nothing further your honor (cooly, calmly and deliberately walking back to his seat)

and there you have it airman . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 03-18-2011 at 08:56 PM.

Mentor
    03-18-2011, 09:24 PM #59

Is a new tech bubble starting to grow?

"Rush to go public. Several tech initial public offerings are expected in the next 12 months, including online gaming site Zynga, business contact site LinkedIn, Internet radio station Pandora and online phone-call company Skype . . . Just because a company files plans for an IPO doesn't mean it will actually happen. Widely watched video game rental service GameFly, a sort of Netflix for video games, filed for a $50 million IPO on Feb. 10, 2010. However, more than a year later, the deal is still stuck in the pipeline."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/...ch-bubble-.htm

Mentor
    03-18-2011, 09:36 PM #60

Rising gas prices shouldn't hurt car buying

"a regression analysis over the past 20 years suggests there is actually no correlation between gas prices at the pump and vehicle sales.

http://www.radio-info.com/news/risin...-or-car-buying

Page 6 of 21 ... 4567816 ...