Page 14 of 21 ... 41213141516 ...
    03-29-2011, 09:28 AM #131
    The calendar says Spring but there's frost on the pumkin this morning. Low last night, 16!!! Pretty pathetic that I have to scrape my windshield in the morning. Today's weather forecast is certainly encouraging, shooting up to 40 and sunny. Good opportunity to get that tan. I imagine in Hawaii it has to be at least 60, right?
    Please don't wait another 2 years to post Otone. Even if it's just to complain about the weather in Hawaii, we enjoy reading them.

Julie

Mentor
    03-29-2011, 04:22 PM #132

Thought for the Day

Definitions . . .

Zen: A state of enlightenment

now put'em together . . . .

Karmazin: Destined for a state of enlightenment

Guru
    03-29-2011, 04:25 PM #133
    Ann Arbor had the exact same program (front loader included LOL), but it got CUT. It was a valuable service to me with 13 mature maples on my property. Now I just run them over and over with the lawn mower. Man is it a dirty job. In the good old days, I'd simply haul them to the curb twice a year.

Guru
    03-29-2011, 04:29 PM #134
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Roadkill View Post
    Definitions . . .

So Mel is going to turn this POS issue into something spectacular? Can't wait for that!!

Legend
    03-29-2011, 04:55 PM #135
    Is that a trampoline Mel's jumping on? Hmmm. Another hint possibly?

You're really good at delaying gratification. No problem. I'm used to it. I'm long SXM.

Addict
    03-29-2011, 07:16 PM #136
    Definitions . . .

Don Imus dubbed Mel the Zen Master almost 20 years ago on the air. And the nickname stuck. He has only been called that about a million times in the press over the years.

Mentor
    03-29-2011, 08:15 PM #137

Trivia Solution

This is the kind SL likes much better . . . multiple choice and no links involved; here goes:

According to that crackpot yenta Joan Lappin, CFA, Mel Karmazin personally told her, during a private chat on Madison Avenue, that doing the "ugly" merger financing was:

A.) the reason he lost so much weight
    B.) the single toughest business decision he has ever had to make
    C.) due to very bad advice from David Frear
    D.) required due to "change of control" provisions
    E.) a better alternative to placing the financing with Goldman Sachs
    ok, here's the trivia solution . . . look away if you're not ready to see the answer:

The correct answer is:

Sourcing:

September 4, 2008
    Joan Lappin, CFA . . . .

"I don't often leave my office for lunch, and I am told that neither does Sirius XM CEO Mel Karmazin. So you can imagine my surprise when we encountered each other on Madison Avenue a few days ago.

Karmazin was looking trim and fit, and there was no visible sign of a bulletproof vest under his well tailored suit. I first met him more than 30 years ago when he was Mr. Infinity Broadcasting, and I was a media and entertainment analyst at the Dreyfus Corp.

A private chat with Karmazin is hard to come by, so I didn't want to waste the opportunity, no matter how brief. I asked him exactly what he was thinking when he did the self-described "ugly" financing last month to complete the XM merger. He told me it was the single toughest decision he has ever had to make in his long business career.
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 03-29-2011 at 08:20 PM.

Mentor
    03-29-2011, 08:24 PM #138

Sirius XM Radio Antitrust Suit May Proceed, U.S. Judge Says

Bloomberg
    By Bob Van Voris and David Glovin - Mar 29, 2011 7:21 PM ET

A lawsuit claiming antitrust violations by Sirius XM Radio Inc. (SIRI), the biggest U.S. satellite- radio broadcaster, may go forward as a class action, a federal judge ruled.

U.S. District Judge Harold Baer in Manhattan allowed the antitrust claims to proceed while dismissing claims filed under 20 state consumer-protection laws. In a separate order today, Baer said the case may go forward on behalf of a nationwide group of Sirius XM subscribers.

In a complaint filed in 2009, the subscribers claimed that New York-based Sirius XM, the product of a 2008 merger between Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. and XM Satellite Holdings Inc., abused its monopoly power by illegally raising prices by almost 30 percent. The suit targets so-called music royalty fees that Sirius charges in addition to subscription fees.

Carl Blessing filed the lawsuit on behalf of himself and other subscribers. It seeks unspecified damages, which may be tripled under antitrust law.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...udge-says.html

Mentor
    03-29-2011, 08:39 PM #139
    ok, here's the trivia solution . . . look away if you're not ready to see the answer:

The correct answer is:

Sourcing:

September 4, 2008
    Joan Lappin, CFA . . . .

"I don't often leave my office for lunch, and I am told that neither does Sirius XM CEO Mel Karmazin. So you can imagine my surprise when we encountered each other on Madison Avenue a few days ago.

Karmazin was looking trim and fit, and there was no visible sign of a bulletproof vest under his well tailored suit. I first met him more than 30 years ago when he was Mr. Infinity Broadcasting, and I was a media and entertainment analyst at the Dreyfus Corp.

A private chat with Karmazin is hard to come by, so I didn't want to waste the opportunity, no matter how brief. I asked him exactly what he was thinking when he did the self-described "ugly" financing last month to complete the XM merger. He told me it was the single toughest decision he has ever had to make in his long business career.
    Can you imagine this crackpot yenta chasing Mel down on Madison Ave??

Just to put it in context, it's September 4, 2008 and Mel is probably hiding a six-pack of Mylanta in his right-hand file drawer. Poor guy decides to get out of the office for a few minutes, get some fresh air, clear his head and grab a chocolate milkshake to quell the pains of a bleeding ulcer and this shameless self-promoter is gonna stop and grill him out on the street-corner.

I'm sure Mel would have just as soon jumped down an open manhole than have to stop and explain the financing to this simpleton. But hey, maybe this lady gives to "Autism Speaks" and Mel wanted to be cordial . . . so what does she write the next day?

Joan Lappin, CFA

Karmazin was looking trim and fit, and there was no visible sign of a bulletproof vest under his well tailored suit.
    I kinda doubt Mel saw the humor in that remark . . . shows you how clueless and out-of-touch this lady is. The moral of this story:

1.) always have lunch delivered to the office
    2.) never try to reason with a lunatic
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 03-29-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Legend
    03-29-2011, 10:26 PM #140
    You speaketh too soon SRK. Hammer away at Spencer, and remember to keep your feet on the ground as your launch those attacks. We wouldnt want to let all this adulation go to your head now would we?
    Last edited by Havakasha; 03-29-2011 at 10:28 PM.

Page 14 of 21 ... 41213141516 ...