Guru
    03-04-2011, 05:04 PM #1

Labor Unions Push for Higher Taxes

Now I understand why Snyder beat Bernero for the MI governorship.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/4563459

03-04-2011, 06:57 PM #2

Michigan Governor Wants the Elderly and Poor to Pay

Much More, so that Businesses Can Pay Much Less

Michigan Governor Rick Snyder has taken a lot of heat for his budget plan over the last week or so, and for very good reason. Snyder is currently seeking to raise individual income taxes — primarily on elderly and poor Michiganders — by some $1.7 billion per year. Rather than using this money to help close the state’s budget deficit, Snyder is asking some of Michigan’s most vulnerable families to hand all this money over to businesses, in the form of a roughly $1.8 billion business tax cut.

Snyder would like to replace the state’s much maligned Michigan Business Tax (MBT) — a sort of hybrid between a corporate income tax and a sales tax — with a true corporate income tax. The basic idea isn’t necessarily a bad one, but the corporate income tax Snyder has in mind is much too modest. Overall, the swap would raise $1.8 billion less per year than current law.

In order to make up this difference during such tight budgetary times, Snyder has proposed a variety of personal income tax increases on Michigan families. The most notable increases include eliminating the state’s generous pension tax breaks (a change opposed by 53% of state residents) and scrapping the state’s Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) (a change opposed by 58% of the state). Snyder is also seeking to eliminate extra exemptions available to elderly taxpayers and families with children.

Overall, the Michigan League for Human Services (MILHS) found that individual income tax bills would rise by 31% under Snyder’s plan, while the state’s businesses would receive a staggering 86% tax cut. So much for shared sacrifice.

http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/d...HvPAWxwnr5kiUs

More crap from you know who...
    Last edited by Atypical; 03-04-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Guru
    03-04-2011, 09:46 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Atypical View Post
    Much More, so that Businesses Can Pay Much Less

Michigan Governor Rick Snyder has taken a lot of heat for his budget plan over the last week or so, and for very good reason. Snyder is currently seeking to raise individual income taxes — primarily on elderly and poor Michiganders — by some $1.7 billion per year. Rather than using this money to help close the state’s budget deficit, Snyder is asking some of Michigan’s most vulnerable families to hand all this money over to businesses, in the form of a roughly $1.8 billion business tax cut.

Snyder would like to replace the state’s much maligned Michigan Business Tax (MBT) — a sort of hybrid between a corporate income tax and a sales tax — with a true corporate income tax. The basic idea isn’t necessarily a bad one, but the corporate income tax Snyder has in mind is much too modest. Overall, the swap would raise $1.8 billion less per year than current law.

In order to make up this difference during such tight budgetary times, Snyder has proposed a variety of personal income tax increases on Michigan families. The most notable increases include eliminating the state’s generous pension tax breaks (a change opposed by 53% of state residents) and scrapping the state’s Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) (a change opposed by 58% of the state). Snyder is also seeking to eliminate extra exemptions available to elderly taxpayers and families with children.

Overall, the Michigan League for Human Services (MILHS) found that individual income tax bills would rise by 31% under Snyder’s plan, while the state’s businesses would receive a staggering 86% tax cut. So much for shared sacrifice.

http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/d...HvPAWxwnr5kiUs

More crap from you know who...
    And how many states already tax pension payments? Michigan is an exception. So are all those other states pukes already? You take shots a Snyder, yet is he trying to "bust the union" (as you would say) to HELP balance his budget?

Talk about crap? You don't know the facts. Unless some statist is in office, you will always bitch and find fault.

03-05-2011, 02:36 PM #4
    Public Employee Unions Don't Get One Penny from Taxpayers and Can't Require Membership,
    But the Big Lie That They Do Is Everywhere.

Nobody has to belong to a union or support its political activities, but you'd never know that from reading the news.

March 5, 2011 |

Let us begin with this simple, indisputable truth: public employees' unions don't get a single red cent from taxpayers. And they aren't a mechanism to “force” working people to support Democrats – that's completely illegal.

http://act.alternet.org/go/5139?akid...018.hnDsAQ&t=2
    Last edited by Atypical; 03-05-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Guru
    03-05-2011, 03:38 PM #5
    I know that to be true. So what?

Since you brought it up, one of my HS teachers was NOT in the union, and he was harrassed. What he elected to do was to strike and picket although he paid no dues. That seemed to satisfy the union. Oddly enough, it was the "tough guys" who did the harassing.

You may recall that I'm in sales. I'm thinking about unionizing sales professionals across the nation. I'm tired of mandated price increases that sometimes lose business which directly impacts my wage. I'm tired of unreasonable budgets that you have to report on every month explaining why you missed your number. I want my management to actually read my call reports...........

Together we can band to reduce our call frequencies and over night travel. We can work collectively to increase the amount we spend on meals on the road, and demand higher class lodging. We can collectively bargain for the ability to file grievences if we are stuck with a tough budget. Monthy reports now become bi monthly reports. Maybe we can even get tenure? After a couple hard years of selling, we deserve the right to have that security. One bad year is all it takes in sales.

What do you think?