Page 1 of 2 12
    Legend
    02-25-2011, 12:17 PM #1

Qyestion to Congressman Broun: "Who is Going to Shoot Obama

And he didnt ****ing take the questioner to task! That is what is wrong with this country and people like S&L who dont seem to WANT to know anything about history,and wonder why people like me are upset at the level of ignorance and incivility in this country today.

Question to Broun: Who’s going to shoot President Obama?
    By BLAKE AUED - Athens Banner-Herald
    Published February 23rd, 2011

At Rep. Paul Broun’s town hall meeting on Tuesday, the Athens congressman asked who had driven the farthest to be there and let the winner ask the first question.
    We couldn’t hear the question in the back of the packed Oglethorpe County Commission chamber, but whatever it was, it got a big laugh. According to an outraged commenter on the article, the question was, when is someone going to shoot Obama?
    I’ve asked Team Broun whether that was indeed the question and haven’t gotten an answer. The commenter accurately described the questioner and the circumstances, and no one has disputed his account.
    Update: Broun’s press secretary, Jessica Morris, confirmed that the question was indeed, who is going to shoot Obama? “Obviously, the question was inappropriate, so Congressman Broun moved on,” she said.
    Here was Broun’s response:
    The thing is, I know there’s a lot of frustration with this president. We’re going to have an election next year. Hopefully, we’ll elect somebody that’s going to be a conservative, limited-government president that will take a smaller, who will sign a bill to repeal and replace Obamacare.
    He then segued into Republicans’ budget proposal.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 02-25-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Legend
    02-25-2011, 12:27 PM #2
    Lets watch and see what S&L finds "reasonable" about Congressman Broun's response.

Guru
    02-25-2011, 12:28 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    And he didnt ****in take the questioner to task! That is what is wrong with this country today and people like S&L who dont seem to WANT to know anything about history wonder why people like me are upset at the level of ignorance and incivility in this country today.

Question to Broun: Who’s going to shoot President Obama?
    By BLAKE AUED - Athens Banner-Herald
    Published February 23rd, 2011

At Rep. Paul Broun’s town hall meeting on Tuesday, the Athens congressman asked who had driven the farthest to be there and let the winner ask the first question.
    We couldn’t hear the question in the back of the packed Oglethorpe County Commission chamber, but whatever it was, it got a big laugh. According to an outraged commenter on the article, the question was, when is someone going to shoot Obama?
    I’ve asked Team Broun whether that was indeed the question and haven’t gotten an answer. The commenter accurately described the questioner and the circumstances, and no one has disputed his account.
    Update: Broun’s press secretary, Jessica Morris, confirmed that the question was indeed, who is going to shoot Obama? “Obviously, the question was inappropriate, so Congressman Broun moved on,” she said.
    Here was Broun’s response:
    The thing is, I know there’s a lot of frustration with this president. We’re going to have an election next year. Hopefully, we’ll elect somebody that’s going to be a conservative, limited-government president that will take a smaller, who will sign a bill to repeal and replace Obamacare.
    He then segued into Republicans’ budget proposal.
    Get off your high horse Lloyd. Everyone sees it. There's lots' of history. The history you like is for covenience of you political position. The only thing you are upset about is politics not going your way. So knock off the BS.

Yes, that one questioner is ignorant even if he thought it to be a joke.

Legend
    02-25-2011, 12:36 PM #4
    "everyone sees it" lol. S&L You're on a mighty high horse and once again you DONT EVEN SEE IT.
    This isnt abot "politics not going your way". Thats simply dumb. Its about you not even getting basic
    history correct. It was fun arguing with you for some time. As you yourself said, its no longer interesting. Take care. All the best.

S&L: 8 years of Bush is "ancient history". Enough said.

That questioner is JUST PLAIN SICK for asking such a question and the Congressman as well for chuckling about it, and it is one more simple example of how this country has moved to the extreme right. The Congressman's response is a simple example of not using his position of authority to take people to task for their ignorance. Boehners and all Republicans response to the Birther movement is another example.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 02-25-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Legend
    02-25-2011, 01:11 PM #5
    Anyone EVER hear S&L take on the Birthers or the Republicans who refuse to call them out to TASK. Never.

Another ideologue who tries to pretend to be a centrist.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 02-25-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Legend
    02-25-2011, 02:05 PM #6
    And now Congressman Broun finally condemns the statement about "shooting" Obama. What courage people like this have. Witnesses say he "chuckled" when he was asked the question.

Paul Broun Calls Obama Assassination Question 'Abhorrent'
    Ryan J. Reilly | February 25, 2011, 12:17PM

Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) said in a statement Friday that he was "stunned" when an elderly man asked what he called the "abhorrent question 'Who's going to shoot Obama?'"

"I deeply regret that this incident happened at all," Broun said in a statement. "Furthermore, I condemn all statements -- made in sincerity or jest -- that threaten or suggest the use of violence against the President of the United States or any other public official. Such rhetoric cannot and will not be tolerated." Broun also said his office "took action with the appropriate authorities."

Broun said that he "was stunned by the question and chose not to dignify it with a response; therefore, at that moment I moved on to the next person with a question."

But two witnesses told TPM that Broun chuckled along with the crowd when the elderly man asked the question. And a report said that Broun didn't immediately move on but rather responded to the question by stating that "there's a lot of frustration with this president."

Max Milien, a spokesman with the Secret Service, told TPM on Friday that the incident had been "thoroughly investigated" and that no charges had been filed.

We'll keep trying to reach out to Broun's office for clarification on his reaction and update if we hear back.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 02-25-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Guru
    02-25-2011, 02:20 PM #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    Anyone EVER hear S&L take the Birthers or the Republicans who refuse to call them out to TASK. Never.

Another ideologue who tries to pretend to be a centrist.
    What's a birther again?

Legend
    02-25-2011, 02:38 PM #8
    a few comments on the blog.

PoliSci2008 2 minutes ago (1:32 PM)
    155 Fans
    Freedom of Speech DOES NOT GRANT anyone rights to bodily harm nor to excite a riot. These Rep should have pounce all over this guy and call for security. Once haters like this see how serious the repercussi ons are for inflamable speech, we will have a more civilized society.

I don't agree with how the President compromise s with the Rep, but I certainly don't want anything bad to happen to him. God Bless & Protect President Barack Obama, IJN.

Juero 3 minutes ago (1:31 PM)
    184 Fans
    Very poorly handled by Mr. Broun - he needs to be punished for his negligence in condemning this citizen who advocates this illegal position.
    Permalink | Share it
    Joel Smithis 5 minutes ago (1:30 PM)
    24 Fans
    Much more benign question asked McCain "Is Obama a Muslim?", was handled very well during the presidenti al campaign. Even though the audience booed the McCain answer!

Broun, in his dodging the answer, has been simply complicit!
    Permalink | Share it
    Last edited by Havakasha; 02-25-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Legend
    02-25-2011, 03:38 PM #9
    Witnesses: Republican Laughed When Asked 'Who's Gonna Shoot Obama?'
    Ryan J. Reilly | February 25, 2011, 9:05AM

Witnesses tell TPM that Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) laughed when an elderly man at his town hall meeting this week asked "Who's gonna shoot Obama?"

Mark Farmer of Winterville, Georgia went to the meeting on Tuesday to ask a question about Social Security reform, and said in an e-mail to TPM he was "shocked by the first question and disgusted by the audience response."

"I was gravely disappointed in the response of a U.S. Congressman who also laughed and then made no effort to correct the questioner on what constitutes proper behavior or to in any way distance himself from such hate filled language," Farmer wrote.

Reporter Blake Aued, who was at the town hall and originally reported on the incident confirmed to TPM that Broun was "chuckling a little bit."

Aued described the person who asked the question as "some old man" who "apparently was a huge fan" and had driven 75 miles to get to the meeting.

After laughing at the question, Broun reportedly said "there's a lot of frustration with this president."

"We're going to have an election next year," Broun said. "Hopefully, we'll elect somebody that's going to be a conservative, limited-government president that will take a smaller... who will sign a bill to repeal and replace Obamacare."

A Secret Service spokesman tells Greg Sargent that the agency was aware of the incident, had taken appropriate steps, and now consider it a closed matter. A law enforcement source told Sargent that the Secret Service interviewed the person who made the comments who now regrets making a bad joke.

"In this case this was poor taste," the source told Sargent. "The person realized that."

I've asked a spokesman for Broun if that was an accurate account of the congressman's reaction and they said they'll get back to me shortly.

02-25-2011, 06:46 PM #10
    Havakasha

Don't waste your time asking for someone to find this vicious behavior from a republican reprehensible. You're right. It's only when "liberals" say anything even slightly strong that the complaints come, There are 100s of attacks on radio, the internet and television daily, but that is just "for laughs'. Move on - nothing to see here. The thread "puke watch" provides evidence.

Oh, and don't call them ideologues, vicious, repukes, a-holes, scum, or any other accurate name. It offends people. It's not "civil discourse", it's labeling, it just isn't "nice". The media bears a lot of the blame for not calling these f.... what they are.

The terms I have used recently are because, as you say, the tone in this country has gone to hell. I am not going to avoid calling them what they are and showing what they do.

One word that should be used often for these people is traitors: that's what those that are seeking to rip and tear the fabric of the country to shreds deserve. They want to reap what they think will be the benefits from this destruction. And those that are entirely to blame are conservatives. There isn't a liberal around who thinks this tactic is the answer to anything.

I may lose some respect from those that have a double standard about this problem because I will not try to control my anger when I feel it is appropriate.

If only others who don't want this country to degenerate further would do the same.
    Last edited by Atypical; 02-25-2011 at 06:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12