Legend
    02-24-2011, 05:30 PM #1

ADL: Beck Comparing Reform Judaism to 'Radicalized Islam' is 'Bigoted Ignorance'

This is what I call 'extreme and wingnut' behavoir.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmem...ed.php?ref=fpb

ADL: Beck Comparing Reform Judaism To 'Radicalized Islam' Is 'Bigoted Ignorance'
    Jillian Rayfield | February 23, 2011, 3:37PM

Abe Foxman, Anti-Defamation League, Glenn Beck

Abe Foxman of the Anti-Defamation League has responded to Glenn Beck's comment on Tuesday which likened Reform Judaism to "radicalized Islam." Foxman said in a statement Wednesday that Beck's comments demonstrate his "bigoted ignorance."

On his radio show on Tuesday, Glenn Beck was talking about George Soros, as he often does, and about a group of progressive rabbis who have spoken out against Beck.

"When you talk about rabbis," Beck said, "understand that most -- most people who are not Jewish don't understand that there are the Orthodox rabbis, and then there are the Reformed rabbis."

Reformed rabbis are generally political in nature. It's almost like Islam, radicalized Islam in a way, to where it is just -- radicalized Islam is less about religion than it is about politics. When you look at the Reform Judaism, it is more about politics.
    Beck was quick to add "I'm not saying that they're the same" and that "it's not about terror or anything else, it's about politics, and so it becomes more about politics than it does about faith. Orthodox rabbis -- that is about faith."

Foxman, the ADL's National Director, was not convinced:

Glenn Beck's comparison of Reform Judaism to radical Islam demonstrates his bigoted ignorance. Despite his feeble attempt to suggest that he was not equating Reform Judaism with Islamic extremist terrorism, the simple fact that he would mention them in the same breath is highly offensive and outrageous.
    "To compare Reform Judaism," Foxman continued, "which supports democratic institutions, to Islamic extremism, which supports anti-democratic movements and the repression of basic rights - including, for example, the denial of women's rights - is beyond the pale."

"Glenn Beck has no business discounting the faith of any people," said Foxman
    Last edited by Havakasha; 02-24-2011 at 05:32 PM.

Legend
    02-24-2011, 06:19 PM #2
    I know S&L isnt going to defend Beck in this situation.

Legend
    02-24-2011, 06:29 PM #3
    He didnt do enough homework he says. My ass. How about you got nailed hard for your ignorance and realized you better backpedal FAST.

Glenn Beck Apologizes For Reform Judaism Comments: 'I Didn't Do Enough Homework' (VIDEO)
    First Posted: 02/24/11 02:04 PM Updated: 02/24/11 02:27 PM

Glenn Beck apologized for comparing Reform Judaism to "radicalized Islam," saying on his Thursday radio show that he had made "one of the worst analogies of all time."

Beck made the analogy on his Tuesday show. Reform rabbis, he said, "are generally political in nature. It's almost like Islam, radicalized Islam in a way." His comparison was "not about terror," he stressed, but "about politics, and so it becomes more about politics than it does about faith."

This brought swift condemnation from several different Jewish groups, most notably the Anti-Defamation League, which called the comments "bigoted."

On Thursday, Beck delivered a lengthy mea culpa. "I was wrong on this," he said. "I also apologize for it...I've always told you to do your own homework and in this case I didn't do enough homework.

He said that his comments had been "ignorant," and that, as soon as he made them, he knew that he had been wrong.

"It was a nightmare," he said.