Legend
    02-23-2011, 07:30 PM #1

Shocking Income Inequality

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...-rich-poor-gap

1 hr 15 mins ago
    Separate but unequal: Charts show growing rich-poor gap
    By Zachary Roth
    The Great Recession and the slump that followed have triggered a jobs crisis that's been making headlines since before President Obama was in office, and that will likely be with us for years. But the American economy is also plagued by a less-noted, but just as serious, problem: Simply put, over the last 30 years, the gap between rich and poor has widened into a chasm.
    Gradual developments like this don't typically lend themselves to news coverage. But Mother Jones magazine has crunched the data on inequality, and put together a group of stunning new charts. Taken together, they offer a dramatic visual illustration of who's doing well and who's doing badly in modern America.
    Here are three samples:
    • This chart shows that the poorest 90 percent of Americans make an average of $31,244 a year, while the top 1 percent make over $1.1 million:

• According to this chart, most income groups have barely grown richer since 1979. But the top 1 percent has seen its income nearly quadruple:

• And this chart suggests most Americans have little idea of just how unequal income distribution is. And that they'd like things to be divvied up a lot more equitably:

To see the rest of these fascinating charts, click on over to Mother Jones.

Legend
    02-24-2011, 07:03 PM #3
    I noticed just how silent S&L is on this matter.

All he seems to focus on is Fannie and Freddie, Govt, and Unions. Right wing mantras.

Guru
    02-24-2011, 08:49 PM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Havakasha View Post
    I noticed just how silent S&L is on this matter.

All he seems to focus on is Fannie and Freddie, Govt, and Unions. Right wing mantras.
    Yes, Fannie, Freddie, Big Government and Unions..... That's all I focus on. That is, me and my right wing friends. LOL.

Legend
    02-24-2011, 10:18 PM #5
    Go back and read most of the threads. According to most of the things you say your arguments fall into a number of categories. 1. Evil, evil govt.; 2.fannie, and freddie as the cause of the economic meltdown we are in, and now 3.unions as a big part of the problem.Of course I would also have to add to this 4.your denial or disbelief about the rising income inequality in this country and its serious consequences for the future, and 5. your belief in the inherent goodness of all corporations and the people that run them.
    Last edited by Havakasha; 02-24-2011 at 10:50 PM.