06-26-2008, 05:01 PM #1

Apple iPhone Gets Streaming Sirius Satellite Radio

06-26-2008, 06:50 PM #2
    Well it certainly can't hurt the company. But its more of a techie widget for someone who happens to be both a subscriber and an owner of the iPhone. Now if something like this was released in direct partnership with, and developed by the Apple team, that would be VERY nice.

On a site note, (I could be mixed up but) it is my understanding that online access doesn't have the same programming that a full satellite connection can offer you. There are channels that are exclusive to the satellite receivers, correct? Is that a purely business decision or is there a technical aspect to it?

06-26-2008, 08:30 PM #3
    I saw that in the news today as well but I think uSirius has been around for a little while now.

Quote Originally Posted by zcurzan View Post
    On a site note, (I could be mixed up but) it is my understanding that online access doesn't have the same programming that a full satellite connection can offer you. There are channels that are exclusive to the satellite receivers, correct? Is that a purely business decision or is there a technical aspect to it?
    At this point it isn't far off from the full lineup. I do remember however that during it's inception, you could not get the Howard Stern channels. I would speculate that this was because they had to beef up their capabilities to handle the load (especially since his feed would drop every now and then when they first added 100 and 101).

To answer your question more directly... I am sure it is a business decision because the cost of streaming the stations across the net is more pricey than transmitting from the satellites (hence their new premium online upgrade).

06-27-2008, 10:39 AM #4
    Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    I saw that in the news today as well but I think uSirius has been around for a little while now.
    Could be I guess..... it hasn't been played up much since I became aware of it yesterday. I was only aware of the Blackberry deal.

Might help get a few more subs as I believe that most folks that are willing and can afford to dish out the $$$ for an IPhone might not have much of a problem dishing out a few more bucks for a sub if they've been considering the service. Even in these though times of slowing economies, low car sales, blah, blah, blah.

And they told two friends, who told two friends and so on and so on.....

Guru
    06-28-2008, 09:44 AM #5
    I dont think it will help remember Mark W. says the kids are not getting satellite, there getting the Ipod. How many kids do you think own their own I phone or car for that matter. It looks like SIRI/XMSR don't care about the kids.

For those who dont know me, I am being sarcastic.