Head Honcho
    12-09-2010, 02:12 PM #1

What's the catch with Howard Sterns new contract?

I am excited that Howard Stern will be around for another 5 years but some of the details of this deal seemed hazy to me. If you remember, Bubba The Love Sponge announced a deal to curb the public outcry and flood of cancellations, only for us to find out that he would be simulcast and watered down 4 days a week.

I am not suggesting that this will be the case with Howards new deal but, I think there is a catch somewhere. I dont know if he will have an extra month of vacation, or if he will be on three days a week or what but, I think pieces of the deal are being purposefully left out for the holiday season. That way they keep as many subscribers as possible and gain as many new subscribers as possible without detouring people with the "catch."

Anyone have any theories?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Addict
    12-09-2010, 06:26 PM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    I am excited that Howard Stern will be around for another 5 years but some of the details of this deal seemed hazy to me. If you remember, Bubba The Love Sponge announced a deal to curb the public outcry and flood of cancellations, only for us to find out that he would be simulcast and watered down 4 days a week.

I am not suggesting that this will be the case with Howards new deal but, I think there is a catch somewhere. I dont know if he will have an extra month of vacation, or if he will be on three days a week or what but, I think pieces of the deal are being purposefully left out for the holiday season. That way they keep as many subscribers as possible and gain as many new subscribers as possible without detouring people with the "catch."

Anyone have any theories?
    No, i think they will leave the compensation and other details for the shareholders at the next CC in Feb. The media and street twist everything and do not understand his value. Signing him at the same contract is worth it because he has already paid for himself 2X over and his subs keep generating recurring revenue.

12-09-2010, 06:44 PM #3
    Sounds like his decision to do 4 days a week for now is a device to make the transition to 3 days easier on his listeners. One would think that a Mon-Wed schedule would leave too much of a gap Thurs-Sun and seem like a minivacation EVERY week. If he eventually goes Mon Wed Fri, well then he loses his precious 3 day weekend. Tue-Thurs just seems to be plugging a hole in the middle of the week. Perhaps going Wed-Fri and getting someone to guest host Mon-Tue would work out. Howard has to realize that best of shows now 4 days a week instead of the previous 3 will make H100 harder to listen to when he's off. It'll be interesting to see what he decides "flows" best...

Head Honcho
    12-09-2010, 07:30 PM #4
    I agree Rob. I don't think a 4 day gap in programming works. I don't know if they can develop any of their current players/talent to fill that gap but, I definitely think the channel needs new, fresh, live programming when he isn't there.

I get that some people like "best of" and "history of" but, there are two channels, utilize one of them for live programming.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder