Page 6 of 10 ... 45678 ...
    Head Honcho
    02-11-2011, 05:06 PM #51
    Something worth noting... the big guys can now predict netflixs growth based on the amount of netflix data flying around the web. With near certainty they can predict the total number of subscribers based on increase in traffic. One could imagine the big guys being able to do that with Sirius XM as well.

I'm not saying that is what is going on here. I'm just saying that it is something to think about.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Mentor
    02-11-2011, 08:03 PM #52
    I wonder if Dr. Dave's charts would have forseen this late-day rally?

I don't believe there were any technical indicators, in particular, that were pointing to this.

So it does make you wonder who knows what and how . . . .
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 02-11-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Mentor
    02-11-2011, 11:31 PM #53
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    Pandora, as far as I know, has made those things public. Is your issue that they could be lying because they are not official fillings? All I will say about that is just because companies submit official SEC filings doesn't mean they aren't lies.

I don't think the CEO of Pandora has any reason to lie and if he were lying, we would have heard about it from the private investors. They have taken quite a bit of investment funds and I am sure their investors have vetted them.

That said, any company could be lying. From Enron to Spongetech!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Roadkill View Post
    So far, the public has only just kicked the tires . . lets see what things look like when we get to lift the hood and poke around a little.
    Well, I just popped the hood . . looks like this baby has a few leaks . .

Associated Press
    Pandora tunes up for IPO, looks to raise $100M
    By RACHEL METZ , 02.11.11, 07:27 PM EST

The company has lost $83.9 million since its inception and remains unprofitable, according to Friday's filing. In the first nine months of its last fiscal year, Pandora suffered a $328,000 loss on revenue of $90.1 million.

The filing said its independent auditor determined there was "material weakness" in Pandora's financial reporting practices. The company said it's trying to fix the problems.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/...o_8305035.html
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 02-11-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Head Honcho
    02-12-2011, 05:05 AM #54
    Nice find.

I wonder why they said "remains unprofitable" when they previously posted a profit the quarter before these last reported 9 months? Bad reporting?

Anyway, they almost broke even (if the report is accurate (it could be much worse))... not bad considering.

I'd be more concerned to see how they wound up losing $328k, is it because they spent $20million on improving service?

I'm not looking to invest regardless (I would invest in Pandora if they were more like Slacker) but, I would love to invest in Groupon (the article mentions a possible ipo).
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Mentor
    02-12-2011, 12:25 PM #55
    Nice find.

I wonder why they said "remains unprofitable" when they previously posted a profit the quarter before these last reported 9 months? Bad reporting?

I would love to invest in Groupon (the article mentions a possible ipo).
    When the reports say "remains unprofitable" I interpret that to mean on a year-over-year or year-to-year basis rather than on a quarterly basis.

Groupon might make for good discussion in the Market Watch Thread . . I'll see what I can find to try and get that started . . .

Addict
    02-12-2011, 01:14 PM #56
    Nice find.

Anyway, they almost broke even (if the report is accurate (it could be much worse))... not bad considering.

I'd be more concerned to see how they wound up losing $328k, is it because they spent $20million on improving service?

I'm not looking to invest regardless (I would invest in Pandora if they were more like Slacker) but, I would love to invest in Groupon (the article mentions a possible ipo).

In addition, we expect to invest heavily in our operations to support anticipated future growth and public company reporting and compliance obligations. As a result of these factors, we expect to continue to incur operating losses on an annual basis through at least the end of fiscal 2012.

Our revenue increased rapidly in each of the fiscal years ended January 31, 2007 through January 31, 2010; however, we expect our revenue growth rate to decline in the future as a result of a variety of factors, including increased competition and the maturation of our business, and we cannot assure you that our revenue will continue to grow or will not decline. You should not consider our historical revenue growth or operating expenses as indicative of our future performance. If our revenue growth rate declines or our operating expenses exceed our expectations, our financial performance will be adversely affected. Further, if our future growth and operating performance fail to meet investor or analyst expectations, it could have a materially negative effect on our stock price.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...032963/ds1.htm

Head Honcho
    02-12-2011, 09:36 PM #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Roadkill View Post
    Groupon might make for good discussion in the Market Watch Thread . . I'll see what I can find to try and get that started . . .
    I am watching local businesses in my area seeing a traffic explosion from running groupon deals. The cut that Groupon takes from the deal is off the chain and they turned down a multibillion dollar offer from Google. The only problem is... there is no reason why Google can't just clone the service and... I think they will. That said, I think there is room for a few good companies in this niche. 3 maybe 4 tops. Its a cool model. I have officially purchased 3 groupon offers in the last 3 months.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

02-14-2011, 09:53 AM #58
    Good Morning

Short interruption from the Muscles and Charles discussion. Sirius pre market trading at $1.87.
    C.C. scheduled for tomorrow morning

Happy Valentines Day

Julie

Mentor
    02-14-2011, 02:26 PM #59
    The following post is copied here as insurance (in the unfortunate event that something should accidentally happen to it under the related news story):

sirius roadkill says:
    February 14, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Beware of “Randy A” . . . axe-grinding serial complainer who lacks objectivity . . hidden agenda! Read for yourself.

Randy A says:
    February 7, 2011 at 3:50 pm

“Any hope that Sirius can do away with the Internet competition with some compelling and innovative new online option that would wipe out Mog, Pandora, Slacker, Rdio and the others is an absolute pipe dream. It would require a level of thought and creativity that Mel has never demonstrated throughout his career. The people at XM that could have made it happen were all let go.”

http://siriusbuzz.com/pandora-files-...o.php#comments
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 02-14-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Mentor
    02-14-2011, 02:37 PM #60
    Quoting Mel Karmazin, "It would be helpful if we dealt with the facts." An inconvenient fact omitted from Tyler's Pandora story is Pandora's declining TSL. Apparently the author didn't think it newsworthy. Investors in the IPO may think differently. Do your own due diligence folks before being herded into this thing.

"Pandora stands out because when it first appeared in the Ando Media ranker in September of last year, it had the distinction of having the lowest TSL of any service in the ranker. In the seven months since, it has continued with that distinction, actually losing TSL every month since.

A possible explanation is the growth of mobile. Mobile user are the fastest growing segment of Pandora’s user base. It stands to reason that TSL would decline as the proportion of mobile users increases. While Pandora’s TSL was already declining before mobile users were counted, it doesn’t preclude mobile having a negative impact.

If mobile users spend less time with Pandora than computer-bound users, then the service’s TSL should continue to decline as smartphone penetration increases. That could become problematic for a service selling advertising."

http://www.rbr.com/features/viewpoints/25459.html

Page 6 of 10 ... 45678 ...