Page 10 of 10 ... 8910
    Mentor
    02-23-2011, 01:41 AM #91
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    I disagree. Pandora did not have a premium option, now they do. That is a shift they already made. How is it not?
    context is everything

So, are you saying it will stay the same? It will change one way or the other.
    I'm saying that you are speculating.

I doubt that. They are more likely to listen to Sirius XM, or anther online service. People who are listening to Pandora do not want Terrestrial. They might want Rhapsody or iTunes but, they are not looking for terrestrial radio.
    your original question related to what people-who-do-not-want-to-pay will listen to . . as long as the others you mention are ad-based/free then, ok sure . . but terrestrial is still an alternative.

What do you mean? I had plenty of options... Dial up, DSL, cable, satellite, etc.
    you're getting those internet connectivity options for free??

Personally, I happen to think Sirius XM is not immune from from other audio entertainment.
    I agree.

Why then has Pandora added a premium subscription offering? Are you suggesting they would rather those subscribers not pay and instead hear ads?.
    I'm not suggesting anything about Pandora's motives . . The discussion is about TSL . . . I'm simply placing on the record the the fact that TSL is declining.

What if tomorrow they say their online application is $3 per month just like last.fm did? Make no mistake about it, Pandora will suck as many users in as possible and then suddenly flip the switch one day.
    speculation

TSL as you describe it is misleading.
    I'm not describing it . . I'm merely pointing-out the irrefutable correlation between smart phone penetration and Pandora's declining TSL

TSL has declined because people are downloading a free application millions of times over, listening to a couple of songs, and then going about their day. Currently the majority of the mobile market isn't listening on their phones all day long...YET. Not to mention you have to weed out all of the trial listeners that simply walked away. When you talk about tens of millions of users, there are millions who screwed up that TSL metric.
    speculation

TSL is your cherry picked fact!
    yes, I found it laying on the ground, trampled among all the blossoms at Osborne Acres, and worried that Tyler might have overlooked it; I picked it up, put it in my little basket, and skipped right over here to the forums to give it to Tyler.

Would you want Spencer to to mention TSL if it meant mentioning Pandora's alarming growth rate and number of apps downloaded per day? Honestly, I'm asking.
    Yes, most definitely . . . so long as the presentation is balanced. For example, he might then also delve into a valid point that you raised earlier:

"you have to weed out all of the trial listeners that simply walked away. Until someone (or Pandora) weeds out the fluff (inactive accounts) from the data, I dont care and neither should anyone else. I want to know what percentage of their users are active.'

BTW, the average user here has no friggin clue what TSL is or what to make of it.
    Many "users" here may not have known what ARPU, OEM, SAC or SAAR were either, or what to make of them . . until they learned about them in one of Tyler's articles.

btw . . . your "average user here" may be a bit more sophisticated than you are giving credit for . . .
    Last edited by Sirius Roadkill; 02-23-2011 at 01:56 AM.

Head Honcho
    02-23-2011, 02:50 AM #92
    I know I was speculating but, its not like it was wild outlandish speculation. It's more than likely that it will change. We are all speculating when we talk about the future of any of these products... including Sirius XM.

Is terrestrial really an option on smartphones? If I am a digital/mobile user, is one streaming radio station an alternative to a customizable playlist? I dont think so. Maybe it is. I think terrestrial and their tired format is dead.

Those options were obviously not free but, free was not an option. Just like "free" will not be an option in the future for radio. UNLESS someone does something truly revolutionary. Something which has not been thought of may exist but, it is tough to build a platform on audio ads at a time when audio ads were all but dead anyway. If there is a solution to the ad based streaming service, it is not traditional audio ads... IMHO.

You are also speculating. Mobile penetration has has gone up and TSL has gone down but, we have no idea if they are related. We don't even have any idea if the data we have been given about Pandora is true. It is safe to assume they are but, you dont KNOW. Just like I don't know that more people will pay for Pandora, although, its pretty clear to me that they will. This isn't a court of law, we are having a conversation and I am an educated human being. If I tell you that Pandora is the next Apple and they will soon be a 300 billion dollar company, feel free to ignore me.

I am sure there are hundreds of very smart users here but, we are getting thousands, sometimes tens of thousands of users per day, they are not all familiar with the radio business. People always project that other people are like them, that is dangerous. I do usability testing for a living and compared to me (advanced users), MOST people have no idea how to use a computer or navigate through an application (although, they think they do). The people you are talking to on the forums are our equivelent of "advanced users" but, for every one of us, there is a thousand people not bothering to say a thing.

Side note: I wish I knew how to get those assholes engaged with us! Say something... I know you are reading this.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

02-23-2011, 11:46 AM #93
    So, i just got back on the wagon. Tossed $5k in this morning @ 1.72. Typical drop just when I buy in again. But I'm holding out for $10+ this time.

Enthusiast
    02-25-2011, 01:24 PM #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallep View Post
    So, i just got back on the wagon. Tossed $5k in this morning @ 1.72. Typical drop just when I buy in again. But I'm holding out for $10+ this time.
    Good luck with that and welcome back.
    I don't think SIRI can get to $10 in the next few years though. (unless you are talking about RS situation) The market Cap would be too large. Lets start with $2 and $3 targets

Head Honcho
    02-25-2011, 09:35 PM #95
    Welcome back to the madness.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Head Honcho
    03-04-2011, 02:51 PM #96
    This Tiger Blood radio is exactly the kind of viral crap I said sirius xm needed to capitalize on back when I wrote that article about the top ways for sirius xm to grow their subscriber base. The only thing they seem to be falling flat on is actually getting Charlie on the air. As far as I can tell, the station is just about him and not hosted by him. What would it cost to get him for a day? $100k? Money well spent. The media coverage would probably worth a few million.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

Page 10 of 10 ... 8910