01-27-2012, 06:18 PM #1

Unhappy iPhone app vs Android app

Ok so I recently made the switch from my old iphone 3gs to an android (galaxy S II skyrocket). I might be switching back. It's true that android has most of the same apps as apple but every one that I've downloaded and used so far is months or even a year behind apple as far as updates go. This is unbelievable to me. For example, with the sirius iphone app, it will store up to 5 hours of memory so I can listen to past shows and music, among other aspects that work way better in the iphone. The android phone plays music and that’s it. I can't even control the player from the front of the phone like on the iphone because you have to go into the android to change anything besides volume. These details may seem small, I guess I've become spoiled with always having the better designed apps that apple has. What is the deal? Do companies such as Siriusxm not update the android versions of apps because there are significantly less people using them? This issue may be a deal-breaker for me.

I have other apps with the same issue - they are running versions that were updated ages ago through apple. I realize that I'd be giving up potential speed if I switch back to a new non-4G iphone (thanks apple) but what's the point of speed if I don't enjoy using the phone?? Do android users just get used to having to wait forever for updates? From what I hear the software updates are the same way. Say what you want about apple (they are pure evil), but when they do update the OS, it's as simple as that, everyone gets it. I am running gingerbread now on my new android, ice cream sandwich is out, and I'm told most phones do not and will not have the update for a long time. I talked with a dude at best buy who said there are droids out there that are still running even older OS versions than the one I have. That also seems ridiculous to me. If a new operating system is released, why do I have to hold my breath and hope to maybe eventually get it? Nothing but disappointment with the android thus far...

Head Honcho
    01-27-2012, 06:47 PM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by thebestever View Post
    Do companies such as Siriusxm not update the android versions of apps because there are significantly less people using them? This issue may be a deal-breaker for me.
    That's the only reason I can think of. That and the fact that having a new iPhone/iPad app is better pr/marketing. It's sad really. Sirius XM should know that someones first impression of their product could be the Android app.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder