06-26-2008, 09:25 AM #1

Sirius-XM Combination: A Future Microsoft Acquisition?

By acquiring or making a significant equity investment in the new Sirius, Microsoft could establish a dominant position in the automobile environment. Such a venture would give the company an unmatched radio platform, in-car satellite TV capabilities and the future opportunity to deliver internet access and other value added services. Additionally, Microsoft would become the dominant internet radio company and could leverage the content provided by satellite radio to boost their Zune product, finally creating a viable competitor to Apple’s iPod.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/8280...n?source=yahoo

-----

I love these AAPL / MSFT combination stories that have been floating around for years. This author really makes sense. MSFT has a lot to gain by picking up Sat. Radio (Zune competes with iPod, expand Sync offerings)

A lot of people present the argument, "Why take on their debt when someone can scoop them up out of bankruptcy with a clean slate?"

1.) Immediate action is always better than waiting on something to happen
    2.) A bankruptcy in the industry could devalue the consumer interest in the product and tag it as a "failed technology"
    3.) For a huge company like MSFT, the accumulated debt of these two companies is meaningless. They hold more cash in their bank accounts.

Mentor
    06-27-2008, 05:49 AM #2
    Even before all of these rumors were flying, and even before the merger was announced, I was suggesting that someone like Apple might buy one of the two companies. I think Apple would make a killing off of buying Sirius or XM. They could incorperate their "Buy it Now" button on the radio, and it would tell the system to save it for their iTunes purchase later. Or, if they had their iTunes set up to accept it automatically, it would automatically download into their iPod which is plugged in through the XM/Sirius radio. Free streaming Sirius over the iPhone for subscribers anyone? What about a 30 gig iPod Inno?

Sure, Microsoft has many of the same capabilities, but the "name" of Apple is better when it comes to portable electronics. Although, it is obvious that Microsoft is currently in the aquisition business... Is apple?

06-27-2008, 01:29 PM #3
    I think Apple is too high on their horse with the iPod. They don't think that they need anyone. MSFT on the other hand has been looking for a way to compete and has been failing miserably since square one. Apple has mp3 technology locked, the only thing to do is to branch out if you want to steal market share. Plus MSFT certainly has the coffers.