01-24-2011, 08:11 PM #1

Any deals or was I B.S.ed by Sirius?

OK, so I've been w/ XM for about 8 or 9 years now. My radio is basically dead , and I am rarely in my car anymore (I work from home now). I've had the XM Radio + Internet Service for a while and feel like I'm wasting money. I use it on my iPhone and from my web browser every now and then while I sit at home and work. HOWEVER, XM no longer offers an online-only account.

So, it seems, that even though XM and Sirius are 1 company now, I have to cancel my XM subscription and start a new Sirius subscription if I want an online-only account. I was also told that until the end of january, if I signed up for the online-only account as a news subscriber I could get 9 months free (so the whole first year for around $36).

So I called today. I was told that that was not true. My bill for an online-only subscription would end up being ~$144 (total for the year - $36 x 4).

I was told that if I bought a NEW radio and had that activated, I could THEN get the 9 months free. To I save just over $100, but I have to buy a radio, which I do not want or need. AND I would be roped into a 3 year contract!

So, I could stay with XM and pay $36 + $9 every 3 months,
    or I could switch to Sirius for the same amount, or save a whopping $9 every 3 months. But I would be locked in for another 3 years.

Either way, it seems, I don't get any of the deals or discounts that Sirius told me about 3 weeks ago.

Is this true? Did I miss something? Was I misinformed by Sirius 3 weeks ago, or now?

I tell ya, I'm about this close to just cancelling the whole deal, XM, Sirius, etc. I am so frustrated.

Thanks for any help.

Head Honcho
    01-24-2011, 08:20 PM #2
    Quote Originally Posted by brain21 View Post
    So, it seems, that even though XM and Sirius are 1 company now, I have to cancel my XM subscription and start a new Sirius subscription if I want an online-only account.
    As far as I know, there is no longer an online only version of a Sirius account. If you notice, the online account has a * which says that it is 2.99 per month with a qualifying subscription package.

Quote Originally Posted by brain21 View Post
    So, I could stay with XM and pay $36 + $9 every 3 months,
    or I could switch to Sirius for the same amount, or save a whopping $9 every 3 months. But I would be locked in for another 3 years.

Either way, it seems, I don't get any of the deals or discounts that Sirius told me about 3 weeks ago.

Is this true? Did I miss something? Was I misinformed by Sirius 3 weeks ago, or now?
    I am sure if you call back again in a few days they will offer you a different deal. They are all about throwing around deals to entice people to sign up. They aren't misinforming, they are simply trying to do whatever it takes to get you signed up. Because of this, the "deal" might differ from day to day or depending on who you talk to.

Hope this helps.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-24-2011, 09:56 PM #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusBuzz View Post
    As far as I know, there is no longer an online only version of a Sirius account. If you notice, the online account has a * which says that it is 2.99 per month with a qualifying subscription package.

I am sure if you call back again in a few days they will offer you a different deal. They are all about throwing around deals to entice people to sign up. They aren't misinforming, they are simply trying to do whatever it takes to get you signed up. Because of this, the "deal" might differ from day to day or depending on who you talk to.

Hope this helps.
    Well, when I called today the woman I talked to still would have been able to offer me an online-only account. Same price as a single radio-only account.

Good to know that they offer different deals all the time. I have until Jan 30th or 31st on my free trial (Inet) to cancel before they charge me. I'll call back a few times before then and see if I get anything or anywhere. Otherwise I'm canclling on the 30th. I still have my XM sub, so I will have to debate whether I want to keep that too.