Page 1 of 2 12
    01-23-2011, 12:06 AM #1

Swap XM for Sirius in 2010 Toyota Camry

Hi,

I am currently a Sirius subscriber and when I got sirius I purchased the lifetime sirius subscription package.

I just purchased a 2010 Toyota Camry Hybrid and it comes equipped with XM radio.

Would it be possible to put an Sirius box in my car and still use my Sirius service and my Sirius lifetime service plan?
    Last edited by VASIRIUSFAN; 01-23-2011 at 02:17 AM.

Head Honcho
    01-23-2011, 02:03 AM #2
    Do you have the navigation built into your dashboard unit (its optional in 2010 Camry's)?
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-23-2011, 02:16 AM #3
    I am not sure.

I am having the navigation put in (the "factory" aftermarket one) but as it is right now I am on the 90 day XM trial.

I was told the man installing my navigation unit would install the proper parts to allow me to use satellite radio via my nav system.

Head Honcho
    01-23-2011, 05:04 PM #4
    As far as I know, the sirius receiver you can swap in for the xm receiver does not work with the navigation unit.

http://www.tss-radio.com/products/is...FUlN4AodT0hfJQ

Camry 2007-2011* (2010-2011 Non-Navigation ONLY)
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-27-2011, 03:08 PM #5
    Weird update.

My car had a GPS installed in it yesterday, and the salesman was nice enough to send me my radio ID. I went to the XM website and keyed it in, and when I did so I was told it was a Sirius ID #, and I was taken to the Sirius website where I was told I had to purchase a new plan (1 years - lifetime plan)

My question is, since I suppsoedly now have Sirius (how is it possible for that to change after a simple install of a GPS navigation system??) is it all possible for me to use my "Sirius box" in my new car and not pay for a new subscription?

Head Honcho
    01-27-2011, 03:20 PM #6
    Something about this doesn't sound right. I would call the dealership for clarification. Changing your head unit should have no effect on the satellite receiver brain.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-27-2011, 03:25 PM #7
    Thanks.

I am going to go pick the car up today.

I guess in the way if it is Sirius then I could have just had a favor done for me, but I am afraid if it is Sirius that the box my only be compatable with certain GPS systems.

First things is definitly to find out if it is in fact XM or Sirius. Maybe they just misspoke about havnig XM when they sold me the car?

Head Honcho
    01-27-2011, 04:24 PM #8
    Quote Originally Posted by VASIRIUSFAN View Post
    Maybe they just misspoke about havnig XM when they sold me the car?
    Maybe.

What I do know is, they can tell you just by taking a look at the system. If it were in front of me, I could look for the receiver and see exactly what it was. No one should know better than the guy who worked on your car today.
    Charles LaRocca
    SiriusBuzz Founder

01-27-2011, 10:42 PM #9
    I did get the car today, and it has Sirius radio in it.

I am not sure if Sirius will let me transfer my subscription, but I will call tomorrow and find out.

01-27-2011, 11:10 PM #10
    Sirius was great.

They said they normally do not allow transfers unless a radio is lost, stolen, is destroyed by an act of god, but they gave me a one time pas and just charged my $75 to transfer the account over.

Great customer service, minus having to run out to my car when it was freezing, which was own fault for being stupid and calling at night

Page 1 of 2 12